2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

gandharva wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 10:48
Marko is not talking about an update. This is the quote:
"In Barcelona kommen wir mit einem neuen Auto, ein Rennen später in Montreal liefert Renault einen neuen, stärkeren Motor. Spätestens dann sollte es uns möglich sein, aus eigener Kraft zu gewinnen und aus dem momentanen Zweikampf eine Vierkampf zu machen.“
"In Barcelona we'll come with a new car. A race later in Montreal Renault brings a new and stronger engine. At the latest we should be able to win races on our own and make the current duel a four battle."
Either way it doesn't look good does it, if it really is a new car (which I doubt), they'll go into a race weekend without any testing whatsoever ?

Chene_Mostert

SR71 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 21:24
Godius wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 20:53
AutoBild had a conversation with dr. Marko and reports that RBR will introduce a new car in Spain. Newey discovered during the Barcelona winter tests what the design-flaws of the RB13 were, the article states that they will bring a new car and not just a RB13 b-spec. When the upgraded Renault PU makes its debut in Montreal they think they will be able to fight with Ferrari and Mercedes for race wins on own merit.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html
This is awesome. Hope it's true.

So much respect for this team.
Cool! So From Feb Testing when they realised the car is a dog, they managed to design, validate, produce tooling, build, crash test, and prepare additional chassis that will be ready for Spain? Why didn't they just do all this during the off season and be fighting for the win from the first race?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Godius

gandharva wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 10:48
Marko is not talking about an update. This is the quote:
"In Barcelona kommen wir mit einem neuen Auto, ein Rennen später in Montreal liefert Renault einen neuen, stärkeren Motor. Spätestens dann sollte es uns möglich sein, aus eigener Kraft zu gewinnen und aus dem momentanen Zweikampf eine Vierkampf zu machen.“
"In Barcelona we'll come with a new car. A race later in Montreal Renault brings a new and stronger engine. At the latest we should be able to win races on our own and make the current duel a four battle."
Kind of funny that dr. Marko openly doesn't regard Raikkonen and Bottas as proper contenders for race wins this year. But I think he is right about that.

SR71

Chene_Mostert wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 11:12
SR71 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 21:24
Godius wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 20:53
AutoBild had a conversation with dr. Marko and reports that RBR will introduce a new car in Spain. Newey discovered during the Barcelona winter tests what the design-flaws of the RB13 were, the article states that they will bring a new car and not just a RB13 b-spec. When the upgraded Renault PU makes its debut in Montreal they think they will be able to fight with Ferrari and Mercedes for race wins on own merit.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html
This is awesome. Hope it's true.

So much respect for this team.
Cool! So From Feb Testing when they realised the car is a dog, they managed to design, validate, produce tooling, build, crash test, and prepare additional chassis that will be ready for Spain? Why didn't they just do all this during the off season and be fighting for the win from the first race?
Sometimes you get it wrong. Red Bull is an example of a team that gets back up and fights.

There are some other "historic" teams on the grid that take years and write off entire seasons just because they hit winter testing with a dog.

Again, RB is the benchmark in F1. Nimble, no top heavy management structure, actually support young talent with top drives, etc, etc...

henry

You missed out "mends budgies broken wings"

Seriously SR71 the benchmark for the last 3 years has been Mercedes managing the complexities of aero, chassis and powertrain to achieve complete dominance. Right now Red Bull are behind in the two areas over which they have total control. We will see if they can retrieve the situation.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

ME4ME

Red Bull has over a second a lap to find while Mercedes and Ferrari work just as hard on their development program. Good luck.

SR71

henry wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 23:05

Seriously SR71 the benchmark for the last 3 years has been Mercedes managing the complexities of aero, chassis and powertrain to achieve complete dominance. Right now Red Bull are behind in the two areas over which they have total control. We will see if they can retrieve the situation.
Of course you can look at the low hanging fruit and say Merc are the benchmark. In performance yes. Are they the Benchmark team?

Well, some will say yes. I say no. That's RB. Holistically RB represent F1 more than Merc does - they bring more to the sport in promotion, doing events on mountians and beaches and everwhere in between. Vettel/Ricciardo/Max/Sainz? Any team can purchase a top driver or provide basic support like merc or ferrari does, but still not on RB's level.

The fact they are throwing money at a B-Spec/New car this soon after winter testing is amazing. The enormous costs and human resource challenge, that's what F1 is about. Trying your absolute hardest and blowing a fortune in doing so. When was the last time we saw this happen? Newey was involved on that one too? That guy's committed.

Let's see how Merc handles the few years after their dominance ends... My money is they throw their toys a lot farther than RB did.

And I didnt mean to start a this team - that team debate.

I only meant to appreciate the shear enormity of a team developing a 2nd car in a single season.

henry

henry wrote:

We will see
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

ferkan
ferkan

Wishful thinking IMO. I doubt suspensions have all that much to do with it, at least in Merc case. Mercedes is still incredibly dominant, almost even more so, except for the fact that Ferrari has fixed their issues and has gotten inside tenth or two of Merc.

As for Marko and new car...Well, he said alot of things in last year alone. They were suppose to fight against Merc and Ferrari on last day of testing as well. He even said they are therbouts with Ferrari, since Ferrari was running on fumes in Barcelona :mrgreen:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

@ at the downvote. really? unfounded and denigratory? did i step on your toes? perhaps you should really read the argument instead of childishly feeding the ego.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Godius

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:34
@ at the downvote. really? unfounded and denigratory? did i step on your toes? perhaps you should really read the argument instead of childishly feeding the ego.
OT:
I gave the downvote because first of all I think it is very denigratory to start off saying that the other member has no knowledge of how F1 works. You could have supported your own view but instead you made this remark and secondly came with a list of assumptions which took many words but say nothing at all really.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

So i assume you feel like a hero now?

reading is also hard it seems. "IF you think the following.....THEN"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Chene_Mostert

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:24
SR71 wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 00:21
henry wrote:

Of course you can look at the low hanging fruit and say Merc are the benchmark. In performance yes. Are they the Benchmark team?

Well, some will say yes. I say no. That's RB. Holistically RB represent F1 more than Merc does - they bring more to the sport in promotion, doing events on mountians and beaches and everwhere in between. Vettel/Ricciardo/Max/Sainz? Any team can purchase a top driver or provide basic support like merc or ferrari does, but still not on RB's level.

The fact they are throwing money at a B-Spec/New car this soon after winter testing is amazing. The enormous costs and human resource challenge, that's what F1 is about. Trying your absolute hardest and blowing a fortune in doing so. When was the last time we saw this happen? Newey was involved on that one too? That guy's committed.

Let's see how Merc handles the few years after their dominance ends... My money is they throw their toys a lot farther than RB did.

And I didnt mean to start a this team - that team debate.

I only meant to appreciate the shear enormity of a team developing a 2nd car in a single season.
if you think RB is able to pop up a totally new car after the spain tests in just 2 months time, you have no idea how F1 works.

RB has had this car in the pipeline since last year, as a B-option (not b-spec) IF they can't run the idea they had for this car; that is, based upon a suspension philosophy. The suspension (fric-like) has been banned, and it affects them (and arguably mercedes too, as their lead on the competition has almost disappeared) just as well.
This car is probably a compromise, and they use data from this car to put into the 'other spec'. which was possibly put on a sideline until spain/australia.

They have made calculations and did the math that persueing this car's development is a no-go, so they'll go to the other car instead, offcourse that car has been in development before, and if it's ever really put on hold, continued on since spain testing. They already have a competitor that is able to run rather at the top 6 so they can continue development on the RB13 version 2 (not b-spec), perhaps even the RB14, untill they are guaranteed it's good enough to immediately put it in a winning position.

For example, if it's at a level right now where it will be able to battle for p3 and p4, but not on p1 or p2 on it's own, then why do all the hassle when your current RB13 is able to go for P3 and P4 with a little tactical work and some luck? Knowing that all your recourses will make it possible to jump from p5 and p6 to p1 and p2 by just extending the development just a tiny bit more.

I have no clue whether RB's talks are real, but if we look at how close Ferrari has got to Mercedes, and how 'backwards' Mercedes has gotten due to the suspension alone, and RB is still rather close to them - after all just look at their results last 2 races, then i think it's definately possible RB is able to jump Ferrari and battle Mercedes on 'the car alone' - which means, they aren't depending on tactics, changing weather conditions, and bad luck from Mercedes and Ferrari (tactical errors, tire wear, technical issues, driver error) to get atleast on the podium or possibly a P1 finish.

In other words, RB are confident they'll manage to do P1 in Qually and P1 in race when they replace the RB13 for the RB13.2 or RB14.

that's how i read it.
whether that's actually going to happen, is another story since we don't know what Mercedes is cooking up (Nor Ferrari for that matter).
Just imagine if they put all the resources into on car instead of splitting it between to maybe cars.
Anyway It sound like a BS story. Same like they were going to stap on 2sec wort of aero just before the start of Q3, you know, testing in Spain was just running around with an irrelevant car for the fun of it.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Yeah i don't think it holds much merit either. It;s not that the car is that bad at all, like what happened to the Mclaren a dozen years ago, which made them move to replace it.

then again, what base do they label a car 'different'? If they imitate Mercedes' system and Toro Rosso's system, this will affect the entire car offcourse, so i wonder whether it's
not 'simply' that with some side-effects regarding aero construct.

wasn't the biggest point that they were 'down on power' with the renault engine? the Renault works team also seems to miss out on some power as it seems.

Unc1eM0nty

I think a comprehensive new aero is the best we can expect mid-season, anything else is just unrealistic given the time constraints.

Weren't these rule changes meant to be Red Bulls golden opportunity to close the gap to Mercedes ? Can the phrase / myth "the genius Adrian Newey" now be put to rest :)