2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Edax
Edax

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

Sieper wrote:
13 May 2017, 20:16
No, I AM a verstappen fanboy and I have been comparing DannyRic's and Max' results over the passed year. On more flowing tracks Max is usually quicker (i am thinking because these are more akin his karting experiences) but on tracks with more hard breaking and 90 degrees corners usually Danny is in front (If only just) i am thinking because Daniël has more experiences/still is better in getting the optimal result on braking hard at the last moment as an F1 car can do. I am really curious to see how Monaco qually will go this year.

Overall Max is getting closer and closer but Daniël almost always is able to up the ante on the moment suprème, he can pull out a near perfect lap under the gun on almost every occasion, a great feat of his.

Still Max is improving and improving, in almost all trainings, race pace, race craft he has already surpassed Daniël. In sector 3 the way he kissed the kurbs is just incredible, we saw Bottas luck out there but Verstappen has so much feel in his but, he is so daring, full of confidence. Dannyric was wondering how he lost so much time in sector3, I think I know.

Still Daniël is a great driver also and I don't think the qualy battles are over. The rest Max seems already ahead (to me, but I am biased).
:D Helmut on friday called it a joy watching VES take the car through the gravel during his off.

My first thought when VES was rumored to go to F1 was " yeah another famous name in racing". Racing at that point started to look like a kindergarden for sons, nephews and distant relatives of famous drivers.

But from the get go I have been amazed with his level of car control. And now with the RB he seems to be completely in synch with then car. How he balanced the car on the sausache curb at the chicane is indeed a good example. More people used this curb, but whereas they simply hit or slid against it, he danced over it, and did so every lap.

Yes I may be a fanboy but if you admire the craft that is racing it is hard not to.

But racing is not only about skills. Hard work and smart racing also gets you very far. Max might have the edge on the former if he gets complacent then RIC is not far behind.

Sieper

Ric indeed certainly is not, and as you say, ric is always smart in balancing risk with results. He is just cool and collected, smart in this way at the end of a season that counts as well.

ME4ME

Sieper wrote:
14 May 2017, 11:36
Ric indeed certainly is not, and as you say, ric is always smart in balancing risk with results. He is just cool and collected, smart in this way at the end of a season that counts as well.
You mean like last your when he divebombed Vettel into turn 1 and could've taken out both of them?

Sieper

Well okay, maybe not always, but usually then. Like today. Better safe then sorry is usually his instinctive choice.

TwanV
TwanV

Sieper wrote:
14 May 2017, 17:05
Well okay, maybe not always, but usually then. Like today. Better safe then sorry is usually his instinctive choice.
No it's not.. RIC is not what you would call a conservative driver.. The king of dive bombs :lol: . Conservative can also be dangerous though, like Bottas who braked so early in turn 1, there was no way to avoid a three-wide situation for the other drivers.

Godius

http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/for ... rari.ghtml

Brazilian press had an interview with Newey and he stated that he's "taking over" the development of the car, and that the RB13 was a design of coordinator Rob Marshall and head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows.

Newey his involvement in developing the RB13 prior to Australia was limited to some consulting. He even says he only started studying the full set of regulations after Australia, and he's still trying to interpret the new rules. He confirms he'll be completely involved in the development now.

TwanV
TwanV

Godius wrote:
15 May 2017, 15:05

Brazilian press had an interview with Newey and he stated that he's "taking over" the development of the car, and that the RB13 was a design of coordinator Rob Marshall and head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows.

Newey his involvement in developing the RB13 prior to Australia was limited to some consulting. He even says he only started studying the full set of regulations after Australia, and he's still trying to interpret the new rules. He confirms he'll be completely involved in the development now.
I think there is some internal problems taking place in the RB design team.. In Australia the story was quite the opposite and now, as the car appears to be a bit of a dog Newey had nothing to do with it.. fake news! :lol:

korzeniow
korzeniow

I'm not buying this either
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

TNTHead

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 33578.html

Here they say they reduced the power output of the PU to save it for the next races. Also they still have not found the issue with the tyre temperatures, now the rear tyres overheat, although i am wondering what VER would have done in the race being faster in the third sector than RIC.

For the next big update we'll have to wait until GP Austria.

Phil

Sieper wrote:
I agree. I think some of where Max gets his edge is because he is young, fearless and bold. If there is a scale between risk and safe, I'd assume Max to be more on the risk side, vs. Ric. Hamilton showed similar traits at the beginning of his career when he used to pull of moves that no one anticipated, that seemed impossible. Every now and then, one of these moves wouldn't pull off (especially in 2011 on numerous occasions with Massa). Since then, Hamilton has considerably 'matured' and calmed down and is rather playing the long game. This surely comes with experience, but also the fact that he is fighting for a championship and knows full well how much damage a DNF can do to your WDC prospects at the end of a season.

Max will get there too, I'm sure. They all do, eventually. Even as a bit of a Ricciardo fan, I can't help but be impressed at how Verstappen performs race by race, even after some of the crashes he had. He just gets in and does it again without missing a beat. His performance in Brazil last year was ominous. Still, Ricciardo will bounce back, I'm sure and on a good day, they're both very close I feel.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TwanV
TwanV

Phil wrote:
16 May 2017, 14:05
Sieper wrote:
I agree. I think some of where Max gets his edge is because he is young, fearless and bold. If there is a scale between risk and safe, I'd assume Max to be more on the risk side, vs. Ric. Hamilton showed similar traits at the beginning of his career when he used to pull of moves that no one anticipated, that seemed impossible. Every now and then, one of these moves wouldn't pull off (especially in 2011 on numerous occasions with Massa). Since then, Hamilton has considerably 'matured' and calmed down and is rather playing the long game. This surely comes with experience, but also the fact that he is fighting for a championship and knows full well how much damage a DNF can do to your WDC prospects at the end of a season.

Max will get there too, I'm sure. They all do, eventually. Even as a bit of a Ricciardo fan, I can't help but be impressed at how Verstappen performs race by race, even after some of the crashes he had. He just gets in and does it again without missing a beat. His performance in Brazil last year was ominous. Still, Ricciardo will bounce back, I'm sure and on a good day, they're both very close I feel.
Agreed, but it's not necessarily age alone. Many times I thought he was going to lose it but he rarely does. Car control together with the need for RB-drivers to take risks for any result to be had as underdogs (unlike HAM whose strategy in F1 nowadays is focussed on risk mitigation, professional but a bit boring).

That being said, I think RIC will have the upper hand in Monaco. Max' style requires a bit of runoff area, of which there isn't any in the next race :wink:

Artur Craft

Horner says the Barcelona updates gave the car 0.4s and they were aimed at slow and medium speed corners:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/247530/1/s ... orner.html

ME4ME

Sounds fairly positive. They also do not hide the fact that they'll need time to catch up.

What annoys me is the Renault PU's unreliability. Last year, although not the most powerful, at least the Renault was reliabile. From the sound of it the Renault power teams cannot access currently use max power level and are significantly handicapped.

f1316
f1316

TwanV wrote:
15 May 2017, 17:48
Godius wrote:

I think there is some internal problems taking place in the RB design team.. In Australia the story was quite the opposite and now, as the car appears to be a bit of a dog Newey had nothing to do with it.. fake news! :lol:
Exactly, and I remember lots of articles/quotes from Horner before the season where 'Newey is full on with the new car' and 'reinvigorated by the new regulations' etc. etc.

Maybe it's a bit like how Rory Byrne is either completely involved with a new car or it's all Tombazis/Fry/Allison/Resta depending on who the scape goat is?

Nevertheless it's way more so with Newey: I'm certain that if the car had headed the field we'd hear 'Newey strikes again', 'Newey is always the best at new regulations/aero formulas'.

SR71

f1316 wrote:
19 May 2017, 18:59
TwanV wrote:
15 May 2017, 17:48
Godius wrote:

Exactly, and I remember lots of articles/quotes from Horner before the season where 'Newey is full on with the new car' and 'reinvigorated by the new regulations' etc. etc.

Maybe it's a bit like how Rory Byrne is either completely involved with a new car or it's all Tombazis/Fry/Allison/Resta depending on who the scape goat is?

Nevertheless it's way more so with Newey: I'm certain that if the car had headed the field we'd hear 'Newey strikes again', 'Newey is always the best at new regulations/aero formulas'.
So what you're saying is: statements by Horner/Newey in 2017 are PR fluff because they align with your general position. BUT, statements by Horner/Newey in 2016 were NOT PR fluff because they align with your general position?

If we are just here to cherry pick then whats the point?

ALL statements made by any TP in history are PR fluff. This is F1, how can so many not understand the basic fundementals of press statements after so many years of being fans.

#blinders_on