2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

Squid wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:39
Well, there goes RBR's safety net. I imagine they'll be doing whatever they can to make sure Honda delivers them something usable in 2019.
I agree however they couldn't help Renault either hence the row. It wasn't RB that started to turn the Renault corner it was Renault themselves. How then could they help Honda?

Also another reason could be what is in it for Renault to stay with RB?
Remember that RB don't even use the Renault badge, the RB affiliated team that does is aligning to an opposition manufacturer. No reason to stay if they won't even get any Kudos for a RB connected win.

Shakeman

Renault are more than within their rights to be concerned about their engine IP and not wanting any chance that any sensitive information ends up at Honda.

I think Honda will come good eventually and Red Bull will prove Ron Dennis right.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Restomaniac wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:33
It is interesting as has been said that RB can't argue they don't have an engine they could use now as their Jr team is going to be the works Honda team. I imagine Renault were just sat smiling waiting until all the paperwork was completed before dropping this on RB.

This is Karma for RB's gobbling off and throwing Renault under the figurative bus.
I imagine Renault are rather delighted. Get an extra 2 years of RB and STR helping them test bed their engines and then it's 'bye bye' when it suits with a lovely deal with a F1 heavyweight too.

With all that said. It's now in RB's best interests to work closely with Honda even whilst the are only supplying STR.
Exactly...

But you never know, Honda may be a good choice at the end but I am sure there are some sour faces in RedBull right now :D

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Hi, I just posted a view on the Honda forum about the RB and TR situ. Was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Essentially, I suggested TR will be the test bed for an Adrian Newey design. Testing what he can do with the "size 0" and low cog Honda engine because we know that's what he likes. Then when the design is mature and the PU improved, it'll be a very competitive RB in 2019 from the start.

Maritimer
Maritimer

Are team allowed to have a "farm" team for design work? I though inter-team data sharing was limited? Obviously corporate can work around it but design sharing can only go so far no?

adrianjordan

Simple solution is that RBR loan Newey to STR for the year, though isn't he employed by Red Bull Technology or something to allow them to circumvent the rules like that??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

lio007

skoop
skoop

lio007 wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:29
https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 9308960769

That's quite a suprise....
I was surprised as well.
What could this be about? Does Astin Martin buy the team and Red Bull will just be main sponsor? Will the get a Merc engine and rebrand it as Astin Martin? Gosh, I'm excited :)

LewisF1Merc
LewisF1Merc

lio007 wrote:
I was surprised as well.
What could this be about? Does Astin Martin buy the team and Red Bull will just be main sponsor? Will the get a Merc engine and rebrand it as Astin Martin? Gosh, I'm excited
Considering Horner said something along the lines of you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out who you would have to think Astin Martin. But what or how exactly, who knows

Morteza

lio007 wrote:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 9308960769

That's quite a suprise....
Very interesting. Aston Martin is just too obvious so I don't think it's them. How about Audi? Anyhow it's gonna be a very exciting announcement, that's for sure.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SparkyAMG

My take on this is as follows:

There won't be any new power unit suppliers entering the sport before 2021, so I suspect they're going to use a Mercedes power unit that they'll market as Aston Martin, with Verstappen going to Mercedes in 2019 and Sainz going back to Red Bull as part of the deal.

There's a good reason Red Bull let the whole Mclaren/Renault/Toro Rosso/Honda deal go through...

marmer
marmer

Could Horner be just seeing how big of laugh he can have by giving the media a red herring meanwhile they do get a honda or a Porsche

Jacinto
Jacinto

SparkyAMG wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 16:02
My take on this is as follows:

There won't be any new power unit suppliers entering the sport before 2021, so I suspect they're going to use a Mercedes power unit that they'll market as Aston Martin, with Verstappen going to Mercedes in 2019 and Sainz going back to Red Bull as part of the deal.

There's a good reason Red Bull let the whole Mclaren/Renault/Toro Rosso/Honda deal go through...
AFAIK Daimler (aka: Mercedes) is a Aston Martin´s shareholder and engine suplier. So you may be right.

Stormy

I think RB are just preparing themselves to pull the plug, sell the team (possibly Porsche?) and continue as main sponsors to that team. Maybe 2019-2020 will be like 2005-2008 for them. Maybe Matechitz had enough of running an F1 team.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Look at RB's other racing series and it points to Honda. GRC and Superbike both use Honda products...