2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

Maybe a bit OT, but saw right now "sport und talk" on ServusTV with Dr. Marko and Dr. Schöggl (AVL). There were some videoshots from a full-chassis-dyno linked to a simulator, looked quite impressive. There were some talk about that in the past, but I've never seen any pictures or videos until now. You can test the chassis with gearbox & powerunit & suspension. Looks really cool.

RBR is supposed to have such a full-chassis-dyno.

FrukostScones

AMUS mentioned it yesterday
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Race track in the lab

But why should Red Bull take the risk of using any trick untested at the start of the season? It would have been possible to move the experiment to the last test day. But waiting for the Friday in Melbourne steals the opponents 14 days to copy a supposed trick. If it is transferable to other cars at all. Especially at the Mercedes, which, with its complexity, is the exact opposite of the Red Bull philosophy.

Red Bull can be the only team to keep new parts to the last minute. Theoretically, the car would no longer have to go to the race track to try out upgrades. Red Bull has moved the test track to the lab. The 360-degree simulator is connected to the best test bench available. On the whole car moves as the driver drives in the simulator. The engine and gearbox react to the virtual accelerator pedal and the pilot commands of the pilot.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AnthonyG

This doesn't make sense. An aero test is impossible since they can't use a full model and the wind tunnel time is limited. If they use it to test a "trick" mechanical part, there's no reason no to do it on track, since competitors can't see what you're using.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

FrukostScones

AnthonyG wrote:This doesn't make sense. An aero test is impossible since they can't use a full model and the wind tunnel time is limited. If they use it to test a "trick" mechanical part, there's no reason no to do it on track, since competitors can't see what you're using.
yes, it just overdramatization by AMUS , and there probably will be no "trick" coming for Melbourne anyway.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

Pierce89 wrote:Hey Juzh,
As a long time acolyte of RBR, do you believe they'll be 3rd best in Melbourne, or, do you think they'll bolt on over a seconds worth of downforce like ALOT of folks be seem to believe?
That is why Mercedes pulls 5 to 7 tenths in his analyzes from the Red Bull roundabouts. "They could drive that much faster when they turn the engine up.
The Mercedes analysts from Mercedes were careful. "The Renault engine has really good performance.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 32406.html

Blackout

lio007 wrote:Maybe a bit OT, but saw right now "sport und talk" on ServusTV with Dr. Marko and Dr. Schöggl (AVL). There were some videoshots from a full-chassis-dyno linked to a simulator, looked quite impressive. There were some talk about that in the past, but I've never seen any pictures or videos until now. You can test the chassis with gearbox & powerunit & suspension. Looks really cool.

RBR is supposed to have such a full-chassis-dyno.
No screenshots :?: :mrgreen:

https://www.servustv.com/at/Medien/Spor ... angar-7133 watchable only in austria?

Sonador

ME4ME wrote:
"I wish we were sandbagging a bit more," laughed Ricciardo.

"Today we weren't quick. I would say day one of this week's test we looked more competitive, probably within two or three tenths of the pace, but today it was a lot more.

"I thought that we'd come a fair way after day three in the car, for me, and then day four in the car, for me, today, but it felt like we probably didn't go that extra step forward.

"I think the progress was good and then today we got a little bit confused, with some set-up things. Hopefully we have some answers tonight."
http://en.f1i.com/news/261347-ricciardo ... e-day.html

So far the RB13 seems quite disappointing. It isn't the aero monster we had all come to expect. Hopefully they'll catch Mercedes and Ferrari throughout the season, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Do you think that RB maybe wants/forced to do a Williams 2014 in 2017?
And once they have the PU power go mental on the aero midseason?

I am so curious come Spain how everything has evolved.

ME4ME

Sonador wrote:Do you think that RB maybe wants/forced to do a Williams 2014 in 2017?
And once they have the PU power go mental on the aero midseason?

I am so curious come Spain how everything has evolved.
I don't think they will do anything shocking at all to be honest. Just continuesly putting on small upgrades onto the car while also getting more and more power from Renault. I do expect RB to have a slow start to the season, just like in 2012 and 2014 when they in all honesty weren't that quick. But in the end, Red Bull's in-season development always comes through. Mercedes can match that, Ferrari have yet to prove it.

Phil

I honestly would be careful of underestimating RB. Assuming they have a somewhat competitive engine, i expect them to be very strong, even if testing did not give this impression.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

shady

Thats the thing... testing did give that impression.

Pierce89

shady wrote:Thats the thing... testing did give that impression.
Red Bull's testing pace impressed you, even though two other cars were clearly faster?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

shady

Very much so, yes. It's seems too well choreographed; everything is unassuming.. the car, the drivers, the engineers, the times... All very much 'hey we're here, don't mind us..' The data is there, yes I'm not refuting it, of course.. but there's something subversive wrt the simple appearance belying the complexity of the bodywork. The fact that the philosophy can be so vastly different yet remain in touch with the other two big teams ATM, should be telling.

I don't think the Melbourne car will be drastically different either.. 'aesthetically' I think we will see a lot new parts with little refinements..

Pierce89

shady wrote:Very much so, yes. It's seems too well choreographed; everything is unassuming.. the car, the drivers, the engineers, the times... All very much 'hey we're here, don't mind us..' The data is there, yes I'm not refuting it, of course.. but there's something subversive wrt the simple appearance belying the complexity of the bodywork. The fact that the philosophy can be so vastly different yet remain in touch with the other two big teams ATM, should be telling.

I don't think the Melbourne car will be drastically different either.. 'aesthetically' I think we will see a lot new parts with little refinements..
I'm positive Red Bull has a lot of downforce to bolt on, problem is, everyone else is still getting huge chunks of downforce in their development, too.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

shady

yeah I think they are the darkhorse but I also agree, thats what makes this so exciting! The unknown.. Im willing to wait and see.

Godius

Pierce89 wrote:
shady wrote:Very much so, yes. It's seems too well choreographed; everything is unassuming.. the car, the drivers, the engineers, the times... All very much 'hey we're here, don't mind us..' The data is there, yes I'm not refuting it, of course.. but there's something subversive wrt the simple appearance belying the complexity of the bodywork. The fact that the philosophy can be so vastly different yet remain in touch with the other two big teams ATM, should be telling.

I'm positive Red Bull has a lot of downforce to bolt on, problem is, everyone else is still getting huge chunks of downforce in their development, too.
I don't think that the guys at Milton Keynes are worried about the aero developments of their competitors at all but rather about the Power Unit upgrades Ferrari and Mercedes are going to bring during the season.