2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Quantum

Re: 2017 Red Bull Racing Team - Tag Heuer

Diesel wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 14:46
It looks like the RB is a bit of a dog if not setup correctly. Throws more fuel on the fire that previous RB success can largely be attributed to pioneering and mastering the blown diffuser.
Or the suspension that allowed it to run high angle rake with minimum penalty.
"Interplay of triads"

wesley123

Diesel wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 14:46
It looks like the RB is a bit of a dog if not setup correctly.
That was what Verstappen said, they changed something minor and the car went from under to oversteer, and vice versa
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ME4ME

Toto Wolff:
Wolff stressed how hard the team had worked since testing concluded, comparing the situation with the soul-searching that followed the disappointing performance in the 2015 Singapore GP.

“Clearly the two weeks after the second Barcelona test have been extremely busy in various areas in the factory and I'm really proud, because the tests didn't go as expected. And it wasn't one thing but it was multiple causes which we identified we needed to improve.

“It was a little bit like a situation we had at Singapore two years ago, and we analysed the areas of concern. And when we put the car on the track on the Friday morning in Melbourne we sorted most of them - and you see the result today.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... de-886186/
Red Bull might be going through something similar. They just seem lost atm.

Singabule

What is the problem on Ricciardo car? It is electrical? How unlucky!

daniellammers

Why was Rocky Ricciardo's race engineer?
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

TAG

according to van Gisbergen’s latest column on the Red Bull website, the three pedal set-up in the Supercar left the young Dutchman stumped.

Van Gisbergen even had to explain the concept of heel-and-toe – the art of matching revs and road speed on downshifts with the throttle
Interesting tidbit here on Autosport about Verstappen; this is probably a result of growing up mostly on race sims, Karts and not having a street driver's license by the time you're driving an F1 car. Amazing really.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TwanV

TAG wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 05:22
according to van Gisbergen’s latest column on the Red Bull website, the three pedal set-up in the Supercar left the young Dutchman stumped.

Van Gisbergen even had to explain the concept of heel-and-toe – the art of matching revs and road speed on downshifts with the throttle
Interesting tidbit here on Autosport about Verstappen; this is probably a result of growing up mostly on race sims, Karts and not having a street driver's license by the time you're driving an F1 car. Amazing really.
I find that hard to believe though, as heel and toe is pretty much mandatory in simracing as well.. miata/skip2000 in iracing for instance, and the list goes on. Sounds like spin to me :wink: .

Webber2011

If Max does indeed do a bit of sim racing, it may be that he's never played a V8 Supercar game.

I'd be more inclined to think that maybe the article blew things out of proportion a bit, and that he was asking a lot of questions that were V8 Supercar oriented, than to think he's never heard of heel and toeing.

Then again, it's a crazy world we live in when a kid his age has 126, 323,978 more hours in any sort of race car than an old guy like me 😂

Godius

Lack of rear downforce Red Bull's main weakness - Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo says on-board footage from F1 rivals Mercedes and Ferrari has exposed Red Bull's main weakness as a lack of rear downforce.

After a disappointing Australian Grand Prix, where Ricciardo and teammate Max Verstappen were unable to challenge for victory, the team has spent the time since trying to work out where improvements can be made.

But Ricciardo believes that video of Ferrari and Mercedes in action in Melbourne has told him everything he needs to know about where their advantage is.

"I think for me at the moment, we don't have enough rear grip – so downforce basically," Ricciardo said in Shanghai on Thursday.

"But to be honest, I don't know if it is we don't have enough or we haven't set the car up in the right way.

"I still feel that we haven't got the most out of the downforce. But I think in Melbourne, if I watch some onboards of Ferrari or Mercedes, it looks like they have more rear grip than us – so probably we don't have as much as them period.

"I don't think we have understood it well enough yet to get the most out of it with set-up and ride heights, that sort of thing."

He added: "For me and probably Max as well, we just felt that looking at Ferrari and Mercedes, we couldn't attack the corner as much because they just seem more planted on the rear. Even on the high speed, we can kind of match them, but I feel we are like this [up to our neck].

"There was an onboard from one of Kimi's best laps from testing, and Turn 3, I think the top teams are doing Turn 3 full [throttle], and he did it – and he didn't even use all the track.

"He didn't let the car run out to the edge so wow, he has got some downforce. I think it is something we knew from early on, that that is an area we have to work on now."

Set-up changes

Red Bull's efforts in Australia were not helped by the team struggling to find a good set-up on its RB13 around Albert Park.

Ricciardo said changes had been made on that front, with the team reverting to a 2016-style of settings in a bid to help him and Verstappen get more comfortable.

"I definitely believe we have learned some stuff from Melbourne with setup, and we have a few bits and pieces here, that should help us have a bit more grip in the rear," he said.

"There are a few other things that came out that I don't expect us to be as far off as in Melbourne. I feel I come here with a bit more of a comfortable car.

"We have probably gone back to a similar thing to what we had last year with a few things on the setup, so it should be something we are probably more used to both of us.

"I think from a driver comfort point of view, we should be better off and hopefully that means we are faster as well. It should be more familiar for us this weekend with some changes we have made."

F1NAC

According to Ted, Max lost 2 cylinders .

Godius

AutoBild had a conversation with dr. Marko and reports that RBR will introduce a new car in Spain. Newey discovered during the Barcelona winter tests what the design-flaws of the RB13 were, the article states that they will bring a new car and not just a RB13 b-spec. When the upgraded Renault PU makes its debut in Montreal they think they will be able to fight with Ferrari and Mercedes for race wins on own merit.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html

SR71

Godius wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 20:53
AutoBild had a conversation with dr. Marko and reports that RBR will introduce a new car in Spain. Newey discovered during the Barcelona winter tests what the design-flaws of the RB13 were, the article states that they will bring a new car and not just a RB13 b-spec. When the upgraded Renault PU makes its debut in Montreal they think they will be able to fight with Ferrari and Mercedes for race wins on own merit.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html
This is awesome. Hope it's true.

So much respect for this team.

Vanja #66

That sounds a bit too much like usual bs concerning b-spec or new cars that comes around this time of year. To bridge a full second gap to Merc AND Ferrari any team (including RB) needs a full season in my opinion...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gandharva

Marko is not talking about an update. This is the quote:
"In Barcelona kommen wir mit einem neuen Auto, ein Rennen später in Montreal liefert Renault einen neuen, stärkeren Motor. Spätestens dann sollte es uns möglich sein, aus eigener Kraft zu gewinnen und aus dem momentanen Zweikampf eine Vierkampf zu machen.“
"In Barcelona we'll come with a new car. A race later in Montreal Renault brings a new and stronger engine. At the latest we should be able to win races on our own and make the current duel a four battle."

marvin78

Marco says so much...and autobild is not a reliable source.