2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

godlameroso wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 13:35
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 11:54
Congratulations to the first team to win a race in new F1 aero era. What do you guys think has made Ferrari slash more than half a second per lap compared to Mercedes between seasons? :)
Simple Ferrari has an engine that lets them compete. Mercedes engine is still better but it's not enough that a good chassis can compensate for the deficit.

At the same time, Albert Park is a very unique circuit and winning here doesn't guarantee a win in more normal circuits. If Ferrari has similar pace in Shanghai or Bahrain I'll be impressed, but I expect things to swing in Mercedes favor on tilkedromes with more emphasis on engine power, and more towards Ferrari on more aero dependent tracks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mercedes win the next two races, then Ferrari again in Sochi.

What really worries me is the rate of development of other teams. No way have we reached the limits of these new regulations. Other cars seem plain in comparison what happens when other cars reach a similar level of complexity?
To Vanja, rules changed, tires changed, even the sporting side of engine regulations got opened up.
Mercedes had a very refined car for the last set of rules, well balanced, worked the tires very well and had a power advantage, all they needed to do was keep improving it.
The Ferrari on the other hand wasn't bad, it was well balanced through high speed corners, but it was temperamental in terms of extracting grip for qualifying, could get out of the window quick and unpredictably, it was also lagging on suspension side, slower corners was were it lost most time.
To sum up i feel like a lot of time was made on these aspects, suspensions and tire, not understating the fact that the aero guys made a terrific job it seems.

Agreed in general Godlameroso, i do think however that although the straights are short, power is a thing in Melbourne, it's essentially a stop and go track, it's chicane>short straight>chicane>short straight.

Given what we saw in Melbourne i'm curious about Ferrari's performance in China, Ferrari has a better front end than Mercedes and China is all about limiting understeer(of course they could loose a lot on the straight), traction heavy tracks like Bahrain and Sochi... not so much.

F1NAC

Photo from simulator

another photo with sim in background

TEHNOS

F1NAC wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 18:28
Photo from simulator

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8QnMZyWAAE8i7_.jpg:large

another photo with sim in background

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Q1lSlW0AAzA5k.jpg:large
Some serious high G enabling frames

Is that part of new testing equipment

godlameroso

Both of those teams are at risk, both of their concepts revolve around using many small aero devices, whereas Red Bull, McLaren, and Williams have taken a very plain approach and increasing the complexity as they understand how air works with the new chassis regulations. Ferrari and Mercedes could essentially be locked into their concept until next year while the others have time to adapt.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

I repeat.. ferrari has the best engine package, why is that so hard to swallow?
It seemed very clear from the first race. Vettel's braking showed very much that the ferrari had the most downforce during qualifying, and straight line speed didnt seem to suffer much.
You cannot use Hamilton's pace at Albert Park as representation that the Mercedes engine is better. Even from his Q3 lap he was driving somewhat unorthodox with his braking and throttle. He's abnormally quick around thay track.

I expect ferrari to be the ones to beat at the next race too.
For Sure!!

giantfan10

ringo wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 00:33
I repeat.. ferrari has the best engine package, why is that so hard to swallow?
It seemed very clear from the first race. Vettel's braking showed very much that the ferrari had the most downforce during qualifying, and straight line speed didnt seem to suffer much.
You cannot use Hamilton's pace at Albert Park as representation that the Mercedes engine is better. Even from his Q3 lap he was driving somewhat unorthodox with his braking and throttle. He's abnormally quick around thay track.

I expect ferrari to be the ones to beat at the next race too.
Ferrari were running more downforce than Mercedes in Australia... monkey seat and all ... Mercedes was not running a monkey seat and used the medium downforce spoon rear wing...may mean absolutely nothing or it may be an indication that the ferrari power unit is very very close to Mercedes

falonso81

I second what ringo says. I also believe Ferrari has not unleashed its full pace yet. At Albert Park, Vettel was managing the race in front and was ready to push if Hamilton closed the gap but he didnt because the attack from behind never came. There is more pace in that Ferrari i think. We maybe see that in China.

ripper

You are a bit too optimistic in my opinion, but I really hope that you guys are right!

ringo

Ferrari fans finaly have a top car but they are to scared over the years to believe. :mrgreen:
Im not sure what to expect in china from the car but kimi needs to shape up and put himself in the race to keep bottas in check.
We havent seen strategic blunders yet which is good. I hope they maintain that throughout the year. Last year was horrible.
For Sure!!

Phil

Ringo, the Mercedes was overweight in Melbourne, apparently 5kgs. How does this factor into your assessment that the Ferrari PU is supposedly better?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

PlatinumZealot

Hmm. Steiner thinks the PU is the strongest as does Vettel. It is very hard to tell but today I saw a Haas go around the outside of williams at turn one!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 18:53
Hmm. Steiner thinks the PU is the strongest as does Vettel. It is very hard to tell but today I saw a Haas go around the outside of williams at turn one!
This equals to more engine power how exactly? Are you being serious?

dans79

Ha, Williams has not been good in wet or changing conditions, in a very very long time.
197 104 103 7

Sevach

Ferrari should have a look on their starting system, Mercedes has gotten better starts in both races this season.

kebab

Sevach wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 08:46
Ferrari should have a look on their starting system, Mercedes has gotten better starts in both races this season.
Both Ferraris were on the dirty side of the track in both races, to early to say who has the better start.