2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Is it just me, or in Arrivabene's comments to Ted (where he commended the team for both bravery and a little bit of 'craziness') was he implying that they did something on the car for qualifying in order to help set up/tyre usage in the race?

Maybe not reading it correctly by that's how I understood his comments.

Chene_Mostert

f1316 wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 19:13
Is it just me, or in Arrivabene's comments to Ted (where he commended the team for both bravery and a little bit of 'craziness') was he implying that they did something on the car for qualifying in order to help set up/tyre usage in the race?

They did, Martin mentioned it after Quail. That's why I say Merc Power Plus team seems to miss Nico and Paddy. They are one dimensional. Quail to them is all that counts, it worked for them when they used to have a 1sec advantage. Not any more. If it wasn't for untimely VSC in China it would have been three nil.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

f1316

Chene_Mostert wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 19:17
f1316 wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 19:13

They did, Martin mentioned it after Quail. That's why I say Merc Power Plus team seems to miss Nico and Paddy. They are one dimensional. Quail to them is all that counts, it worked for them when they used to have a 1sec advantage. Not any more. If it wasn't for untimely VSC in China it would have been three nil.
Thanks :) did they mention any more info on what exactly they did?

ferkan

Yea I guess Ferrari doesnt care if Q gap here is 0.4 or 0.1, you are still 2nd row. May as well make car a beast in race and get a win. GJ by team!

Vanja #66

To be honest, I think they also dialed down the engine a bit for Q3 as well, following Kimi's turbo problems on Friday... This is a power track, downforce doesn't play too much to the advantage of Ferrari and Merc and RB, Renault and Williams were closer than before yesterday...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Chene_Mostert

Another encouraging message sent out by Mr Marchionne. He was criticised a lot in the past for putting too much pressure on the team, but I think he is a good boss man, don't be scared to criticize but also praise when necessary. Honda needs some criticism ATM instead of the continued fake positive spin on their situation.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

GPR-A duplicate2

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 20:09
To be honest, I think they also dialed down the engine a bit for Q3 as well, following Kimi's turbo problems on Friday... This is a power track, downforce doesn't play too much to the advantage of Ferrari and Merc and RB, Renault and Williams were closer than before yesterday...
If downforce doesn't play too much to anyone's advantage here, then how was RB running so close to Merc and Ferrari? Are you suggesting Renault is in the same league as Merc and Ferrari in terms of PU? If downforce doesn't play too much to anyone's advantage, why was Williams, FI and Haas not in play here despite having the best PUs on the grid?

If you don't have great deal of downforce, then you are not at front.

GPR-A duplicate2

Chene_Mostert wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 20:14
Another encouraging message sent out by Mr Marchionne. He was criticised a lot in the past for putting too much pressure on the team, but I think he is a good boss man, don't be scared to criticize but also praise when necessary.
bhall II wrote:
Ben, any comments? :D

Chene_Mostert

I must say after 3 Races I'm impressed by the "novice" tech department at Ferrari they finally seem to have direction. Lets see if it maintains up to end June. If so we are sitting pretty.
I'm glad Merc got Allison.

f1316

Right, all the criticisms of Marchionne, the more horizontal structure, removal of Allison, a more Italian-centric team, look a bit premature now, don't they?

Mansell89

How many races will Raikonnen last?

He was utterly woeful yet again in the early stages, leaving himself drifting out of the picture at the front.

Gauntlet was laid down by Marchionni in China so I believe this may become an issue in the European season

FLuidd

I hope Raikkonen gets fired during the summer break and gets replaced by Grosjean, since Ferrari needs a reliable lieutenant for Vettel.

nokivasara

f1316 wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 16:18
I wasn't really expecting him to continue next season regardless of results tbh; even if he won the world championship, that would be the ultimate way to bow out.

But it feels like the end of his career to me, so personally I always thought he was gone next year - not necessarily a reflection on his performance so far

( although on a different note, I do think he's been poor; might be controversial but he never convinced me as a Ferrari driver - even when he was winning the world championships I didn't feel like he was the guy eaking every ounce of performance out of the car - rather the McLaren drivers were the ones doing that - and it was always a disappointment for someone filling Schumacher's race boots).
I think it's last season too, he's been in F1 since 2001 and peaked early. 2003 and 2005 he was absolutely top notch. Nowadays he is still a good driver to have in the team. He brings in steady points and stays out of trouble, for the most part.
Kimi is 37 years old, of course Ferrari knows that he will lose some speed, they all do. Remember Coulthard when he was in RedBull, it was awful, Schumacher was also surprisingly bad in his comeback.
I can't recall any 37 year old (or older) driver from the last 20 years that has been on the same level as Kimi, so he is actually doing a very good job for a guy of his age.
But it's time to step down and make room for someone else, I'd love to see Grosjean in the Ferrari. The downside of having him is that he is also very touchy about how the car behaves, much like Kimi. On a good day GRO is among the fastest IMHO.

bhall II

GPR-A wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 20:48
Chene_Mostert wrote:
Another encouraging message sent out by Mr Marchionne. He was criticised a lot in the past for putting too much pressure on the team, but I think he is a good boss man, don't be scared to criticize but also praise when necessary.
bhall II wrote:
Ben, any comments? :D
History is written by the victors. (Take that for whatever it's worth.)

PlatinumZealot

The number one policy will be in full effect very soon. I dont know. But i think Vettel will be unstoppable if Ferrari keep developing. Kimi has been downtight slow but he is doing just enough to keep the Red team in front. A 1-4 always trumps a 2 - 3!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏