2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
waynes

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

That child is going to absolutely love F1, Ferrari and Kimi forever more :)

Great work all involved

LookBackTime

Scuderia Ferrari‏ @ScuderiaFerrari
Where past meets present. @MCEnzoFerrari @MuseoFerrari #InternationalMuseumDay

pic.twitter.com/ikKtpGBnks

TAG

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

Nice one!!

On the other and, it seems that the car has algo a great mechanical grip. The short wheelbase helps but man, this car is so good!!.

basti313

There was a nice interview with Lauda and Marco on the Energy Station yesterday. Both said, that Ferrari is much better on the tires and the reason is simply, that they did a better job with the mule car for tire testing last year. They said, that Ferrari managed to bold on more downforce to the mule car so that they were closer t the 2017 levels and, thus, gained a much better understanding of the new tires.
Don`t russel the hamster!

tpe
tpe

You do remember I guess all the rumours last year about the DF levels of the mule car and how lower DF it had etc etc etc.

I don't believe for a second that they couldn't create a mule car with similar DF levels as the 2017 cars. I believe that they opted (at least MB) for a mule car with low DF levels in order to hide their true targets and they relied on simulations. Back fired. Good.

garychopper

I faintly remember it was mentioned somewhere that Ferrari's mule had the least amount of downforce increase from their 2016 car. Mercedes had a bit more and red bull replicated 2017 downforce levels quite accurately. One of the forum members was making fun of Ferrari's lack of downforce and how they were incompetent by failing to replicate these downforce levels.
It just so happens now that Ferrari is setting the standard for tire use... :lol:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonardo da vinci

santos

garychopper wrote:
30 May 2017, 11:42
I faintly remember it was mentioned somewhere that Ferrari's mule had the least amount of downforce increase from their 2016 car. Mercedes had a bit more and red bull replicated 2017 downforce levels quite accurately. One of the forum members was making fun of Ferrari's lack of downforce and how they were incompetent by failing to replicate these downforce levels.
It just so happens now that Ferrari is setting the standard for tire use... :lol:
Yeah, i do remember that. Someone was praising Mercedes, that it was so good and had so much downforce that they didn't had to do much to the car.

basti313

tpe wrote:
30 May 2017, 10:16
You do remember I guess all the rumours last year about the DF levels of the mule car and how lower DF it had etc etc etc.

I don't believe for a second that they couldn't create a mule car with similar DF levels as the 2017 cars. I believe that they opted (at least MB) for a mule car with low DF levels in order to hide their true targets and they relied on simulations. Back fired. Good.
I do not think it was on purpose. That was an accident, they just did not allocate any time on the mule car. You can see, that they glued some skirts and an old beam wing to it, not more.
On the other hand Ferrari designed a special rear wing.

To me it is puzzling, that Merc did not allocate time to the testing. I still think that their big success is partially based on the tire testing they did with Pirelli the season before the domination. They should know how relevant these tests are.
Don`t russel the hamster!

garychopper

basti313 wrote:
30 May 2017, 17:01
tpe wrote:
30 May 2017, 10:16

I do not think it was on purpose. That was an accident, they just did not allocate any time on the mule car. You can see, that they glued some skirts and an old beam wing to it, not more.
On the other hand Ferrari designed a special rear wing.

To me it is puzzling, that Merc did not allocate time to the testing. I still think that their big success is partially based on the tire testing they did with Pirelli the season before the domination. They should know how relevant these tests are.
Here is one reason...

"I'm so glad I didn't do that (prototype tyre) testing, because the car is so different. I did a few laps in the Abu Dhabi test in the 2015 car and it was so much different to this car. It would have been a waste of my time, I'm glad I didn't do it. It made no difference." Lewis Hamilton, speaking to Autosport in April, 2017.... :lol:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonardo da vinci

marmer

Didn't vettel do the most tyre testing at rebull when the new Pirelli took over from Bridgestone seems a trait of his to really want to understand the tyre

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

giantfan10

JamesallenonF1 claims that Mercedes were complacent and assumed they would run away with the 2017 title too by sending Wehrlein to test the 2017 tires.
He also claims the Vettel visited the pirelli manufacturing planton more than one occasion to see how the tires were manufactered. He cites all of the above as a decided advantage for Ferrari because he claims that all the information that Vettel gathered was key in the design process for the SF-70H... visiting the factory was not illegal and open to any driver... only vettel chose to go....

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:
31 May 2017, 01:08
JamesallenonF1 claims that Mercedes were complacent and assumed they would run away with the 2017 title too by sending Wehrlein to test the 2017 tires.
He also claims the Vettel visited the pirelli manufacturing planton more than one occasion to see how the tires were manufactered. He cites all of the above as a decided advantage for Ferrari because he claims that all the information that Vettel gathered was key in the design process for the SF-70H... visiting the factory was not illegal and open to any driver... only vettel chose to go....
We can´t deny the fact that Vettel is tremendously profesional. =D> =D> =D>

But, does it make such a different? I mean, I don´t know how deep is Vettel´s technical knowledge but its strange that he could gather so much essential information from only a single visit to a factory.

Vasconia

garychopper wrote:
30 May 2017, 11:42
Funny enough, the Red Bull seems to have a worse usage of the tyres. Quite weird, isn´t it?

CBeck113

Lest we forget:
1) Ferrari had custom tires from Bridgestone before the Pirelli rubber, and knew what information they needed to make the tires and car work together - definitely an advantage they still seem to nurture, even if their car was too slow over the past three seasons
2) Mercedes was always very bad on tires, even with fast cars, but suddenly dominated F1 for three years after a special test. Now, after the change for 2017, they seem to have fallen back to earth due to their skills in this area...

Which leads to the following theories:
1) Ferrari has a better understanding of tires in general, not just the 2017 model, but the full tire - car relationship
2) Mercedes "knowledge" ran out with the 2017 changes
3) <insert conspiracy theory here>

My opinion: numerous teams have neglected the necessity to understand how to tune a chassis to the tires, which is critical in a pseudo-spec series. As for RB, they have always been "limited" to a silver bullet in the aero department, and when they can't find it like this year, they're not going to be out front. They have a good car, but it also can't be tuned to keep the tires in their operating range, and that means that they can't be fast enough to win....yet.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail