2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

I think last race they used kimi as a vettel pawn albeit with no detriment to his final position (it is his fault he was slow at start and lost positions). And that is not very nice leaving him on track like that. I bet kimi was fuming. I would not even be surprised if he let bottas pass so easily because he was so mad.

But in Monaco, even though I think the team would prefer a vettel win, I think they didn't do a swap on purpose. It was just the Vet was much faster on older tyres than Kimi on new. And honestly after so so many F*** ups in strategy last year and already this year (pit vet in spain out of SC situation) I doubt they could pull something so finely orchestrated. Anyway at this point everybody has their opinion (about monaco) and that is not gonna change.

Lets see what the future holds. If the situation like China arrises will vettel have to pass his team mate again on track without help and losing tyre life or will team orders be in place since Kimi is already behind Ricciardo in the WDC?

NathanOlder

Of course Ferrari should use Kimi. Every day of the week. He's nothing compared to Vettel. Vettel having Kimis support will have a good go at the WDC this year. If he does win, I dont want to hear people saying Vettel had no help ect ect like they have been.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

f1316

If Kimi starts the season winning or even being close to Seb, it's a different story - same with Felipe vs. Fernando. On the other hand, if being on Seb's/Fernando's pace is the exception - and that pattern is clearly established - then obviously you favour the guy who's going to be more consistent.

And yeah, if the driver running second has no chance of winning but can help the driver running first to win, you use that - exactly as Mercedes did with Bottas in Spain (and not dissimilar to asking him to move over in Bahrain, after he got Pole). Let's be clear - both teams are doing it.

Big Mangalhit

Exactly what happened here was very similar to Bottas in spain, they were left out to slow the other driver with no penalty for their final score.

BTW a lot of WDC were made with the help of teammates, probably most of them. Even when there is intrateam rivalry there is things you could consider team mate help. Like last year when rosberg let Hamilton pass him in Monaco, you could argue that Rosberg helped Hamilton in the WDC fight (even if it was against himself). Letting your teammate pass cleanly is a much bigger help IMO.

Again I am more interested to see if Ferrari will ever do that this year. I mean will they ever openly tell kimi to step aside for Vettel to pass? If I recall correctly Arrivabene said he was against that while the two drivers were in the WDC contention. And to be honest I don't recall Ferrari doing that a single time under is management (I could be wrong tho, if I am please tell me when). Kimi mathematically (as every driver) is still in the WDC contention, but realistically can he really have a go at it? is this considered the point where ferrari will "show blue flags" to kimi? Really I would like to know.

Vasconia

Big Mangalhit wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 15:41
Exactly what happened here was very similar to Bottas in spain, they were left out to slow the other driver with no penalty for their final score.

BTW a lot of WDC were made with the help of teammates, probably most of them. Even when there is intrateam rivalry there is things you could consider team mate help. Like last year when rosberg let Hamilton pass him in Monaco, you could argue that Rosberg helped Hamilton in the WDC fight (even if it was against himself). Letting your teammate pass cleanly is a much bigger help IMO.

Again I am more interested to see if Ferrari will ever do that this year. I mean will they ever openly tell kimi to step aside for Vettel to pass? If I recall correctly Arrivabene said he was against that while the two drivers were in the WDC contention. And to be honest I don't recall Ferrari doing that a single time under is management (I could be wrong tho, if I am please tell me when). Kimi mathematically (as every driver) is still in the WDC contention, but realistically can he really have a go at it? is this considered the point where ferrari will "show blue flags" to kimi? Really I would like to know.
Under Todt´s management they used to made it clear before the race, with the only and infamous exception of Austria 2002. Teams can have team orders so we don´t need embarrasing radios.

Jano11

And that's why Ferrari will never win any championships with Arrivabene managing the team, he's not fit for a highly competitive environment. And today was further proof for it.

Dipesh1995

What are you on about? How can Arrivabene be held responsible for two tyre failures?

evered7

Kimi has always gone well at Silverstone and I was happy he was able to keep up pace today. The problem for Ferrari is not Kimi now. They are clearly slower than Mercedes now and the lead has been reduced to none as well.

They have to get some upgrades to the PU and the car as well to keep up the hope for Vettel. Something like Renault's new floor will help. Hulk was impressive in qualifying and race.

NathanOlder

Anyone remember the last time Ferrari definitely out developed their rivals while in a title battle ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

munudeges

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 11:16
Totally agreed, get ready for the massive negative post rating for your comments though. These Seb fans are a touchy bunch.
Everyone is. It's the same with Palmer. He's certainly having a tough time as a driver, but they're clearly not preparing his car as well as they are Hulkenberg's.

munudeges

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 21:02
Anyone remember the last time Ferrari definitely out developed their rivals while in a title battle ?
Nope. It's been a long time. The acid test for me as to whether they really had come up with a title winning car, as a team, was what happened as the season developed. Is that current Ferrari really the work of the engineers there that they truly understand, or have they done the usual Italian thing, ridden on the coattails of a previous Technical Director, knifed him in the back and took his work? I'm sorry to say it is increasingly looking like the latter.

munudeges

Jano11 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:49
And that's why Ferrari will never win any championships with Arrivabene managing the team, he's not fit for a highly competitive environment. And today was further proof for it.
Marchionne appears to be driving that team and Arrivabene is merely a passenger, which is somewhat worrying. That's Ferrari though!

Juzh

NathanOlder wrote:
2006. They didn't win in the end, but the car was definitely by far the best in the latter half of the season.

evered7

In 2010, they got the blown diffuser introduced and F-Duct as well in season. After Valencia, they were really into the WDC game. Of course, one knows what happened at Valencia and subsequently in GB. There were massive goof ups by Alonso that season to culminate in the non-passing of Petrov that put end to the WDC dream.

NathanOlder

Juzh wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 21:24
NathanOlder wrote:
2006. They didn't win in the end, but the car was definitely by far the best in the latter half of the season.
Oh yeah, totally forgot that one, cheers
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.