2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
iotar__

Re: 2017 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

anzx wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 09:14
There are some reports that Carlos Sainz will drive for Renault from Hungaroring onwards. =D>
source: https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2290 ... ies-report
I understand rumours, whatever but:
Why Hungary, what's so special about this race, why not Monza, Singapore? Perhaps because it's easier to associate with it since it was mentioned in the context of some other driver? Not 69 year old woman if anyone's mixing the two like in the post above ;-).

RB didn't want to (let's say) release him for '17, (let's say) '18 but middle of the season, why the hell not.

ME4ME

Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says double points finish at Hungarian GP 'critical'

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/ ... p-critical

Renault seem to have been trying to be loyal to it's driver, especially since there have been unrealibility issues caused by the team itself. But more than ever Abiteboul gives the impression that he's had enough of Palmer and that it basically is his last chance.

Vasconia

ME4ME wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 22:48
Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says double points finish at Hungarian GP 'critical'

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/ ... p-critical

Renault seem to have been trying to be loyal to it's driver, especially since there have been unrealibility issues caused by the team itself. But more than ever Abiteboul gives the impression that he's had enough of Palmer and that it basically is his last chance.
It sounds like a last chance for Palmer, but if Kubika is fast with the 2017 car I guess he is already sentenced.

Manoah2u

Kubica has stated he won't 'rush' things and jump in this year, even if it would be hard to say no. So i think Palmer can rest assured he won't be replaced by the heavy breathing in his neck by Kubica right now.

Question then remains, if not by Kubica, by whom else? Sainz has been mentioned before, but i'm 100% sure Sainz / or Renault for that matter, won't take up to replace a driver mid-season for just half-season and then no longer have room next year [assuming it'll be Kubica-Hulkenberg next year].

So all depends on how Kubica will do after race weekend and the remaining cockpit exit speed test, though that doubles for next year.
If for some cruel twist on fate Kubica is not going to be able to do it after all, then Palmer's F1 career surely will be shortened in a couple of races to be replaced by Sainz i'd say.
If kubica does well, Palmer can rest assured knowing he'll sing it out till the end of the season, and have time to find some other place to be useless. Sauber would sound right.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

If a driver switches teams mid season, does he take his points to the new team, or does he start from zero again?
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

A driver keeps his own points. And the team he scores the points with keep the points for the constructors championship
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

Palmer had the same car as hulk this weekend. Hulk out qualified him only to drop behind due to pen. Was fast enough to be let by and continued to drop out of the points he might be the worst driver on the grid at the moment. But perhaps the long term nail on the coffin is that he has never shown any real ability at this level. Even stroll has managed that in less races and at the start of the season he looked totally out of his depth.

With the Renault now more able to get into Q3 than it was Palmer is now costing them points every race

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Vasconia

marmer wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 07:53
Palmer had the same car as hulk this weekend. Hulk out qualified him only to drop behind due to pen. Was fast enough to be let by and continued to drop out of the points he might be the worst driver on the grid at the moment. But perhaps the long term nail on the coffin is that he has never shown any real ability at this level. Even stroll has managed that in less races and at the start of the season he looked totally out of his depth.

With the Renault now more able to get into Q3 than it was Palmer is now costing them points every race

Renault could the filth team with a competent driver. Palmer must improve or he will be fired.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 09:47
marmer wrote:

Renault could the filth team with a competent driver. Palmer must improve or he will be fired.
- Palmer is not good, should not have been hired and '17 cars might make it more visible but he's not as bad as his season. They just now put the big media X mark over him because it's easier than talking about the car, Renault's progress, perspectives and driver management.

- it would be better if they talked about who hired, kept him and is responsible for team's result. Stoll, Abiteoul, Vasseur, Permane, Bell? Good luck with that. Replacing a driver won't change other parts.
- BTW I don't recall any media/audience outrage when they hired and especially kept him instead of Magnussen. Except for, well it would be bragging to say it ;-) . Now it's all obvious.

Manoah2u

Everybody could see Palmer is , well like Magnussen famously said 'if it looks sh*t, it's sh*t."
And not that Magnussen did anything memorable at Renault, i do hold K-Mag a good tad higher than Palmer.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 14:06
Everybody could see Palmer is , well like Magnussen famously said 'if it looks sh*t, it's sh*t."
And not that Magnussen did anything memorable at Renault, i do hold K-Mag a good tad higher than Palmer.
Well last season you could use the argument "if it looks sh*t, it's sh*t", because the car was truly sh*t. But this season with the Hulk at the wheel, Palmer is now fully exposed that he really is that sh*t. I would be ashamed as a dad standing in the garage with the camera's zooming in on him.

langwadt

iotar__ wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:52
Vasconia wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 09:47
marmer wrote:

- Palmer is not good, should not have been hired and '17 cars might make it more visible but he's not as bad as his season. They just now put the big media X mark over him because it's easier than talking about the car, Renault's progress, perspectives and driver management.

- it would be better if they talked about who hired, kept him and is responsible for team's result. Stoll, Abiteoul, Vasseur, Permane, Bell? Good luck with that. Replacing a driver won't change other parts.
- BTW I don't recall any media/audience outrage when they hired and especially kept him instead of Magnussen. Except for, well it would be bragging to say it ;-) . Now it's all obvious.
afaiu Palmer was what was left, I think before Magnussen got the Haas seat he expected to be the one without a seat

marmer

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 14:06
last years car was awful. mag got fed up with all the politics at Renault and the lack of performance which could be why towards the end of the season Palmer was even with him. Mag would be a good option for most mid teams but perhaps lacks the last 1% that a Alonso, Vettel Hamilton have to get him to the next level

Manoah2u

As for Magnussen, totally offtopic i know, but i was surprised on his early performance in Mclaren. He got a podium in his first race fcol. P2 even iirc. He succumbed under the pressure though and the still downward spiral of Mclaren at that moment, not forgetting the fact he shouldn't have been there in the first place if Whitmarsh and co did their jobs correctly and didn't make a mess of things. Don't get me wrong, i think Whitmarsh was one of the okayest and most sympathic blokes out there, and i really do miss him in F1 as i think he was a very stable and calm presence, but i guess F1 politics at Mclaren had their effects. I don't think it's fair to blame him on it actually, but it does seem he atleast didn't step in or act enough.

As for Renault, yeah last year was messy with internal (power) struggles and a dog of a car. I also remember Magnussen hitting the wall in Spa quite hard, but as in really, really hard.

I think Kevin has potential, but i do believe his mindset is keeping him from getting max potential. Reminds me of Grosjean in his kamikaze days. Some psych help might do good, it did wonders for Romain.

As for Hulkenberg, i think his behaviour to Magnussen was vastly unprofessional to begin with, Kevin got a penalty for his move, i'm not saying it was undeserved, but i've seen far worse get away with nothing. Hulkenberg imho was rather frustrated during the race and this had a history. I have a feeling things didn't go down so well between Nico and Kevin before. I like Kevin's no-nonsense approach though.

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 18:51

As for Hulkenberg, i think his behaviour to Magnussen was vastly unprofessional to begin with, Kevin got a penalty for his move, i'm not saying it was undeserved, but i've seen far worse get away with nothing. Hulkenberg imho was rather frustrated during the race and this had a history. I have a feeling things didn't go down so well between Nico and Kevin before. I like Kevin's no-nonsense approach though.
Seriously? do you think Magnussen´s reaction was professional?

I guess Nico was fed up with Magnussen because its not the first he has problems with him on the track. The penalty was well deserved and his reaction was pretty bigheated. But don´t get me wrong, I aso think that NIco should have not accused him of being a dirty driver in front of the cameras. I prefer if they dicuss it behind the lights.