2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr.G

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 11:23
No, just no. Zak does NOT say there will be an Upgrade in China.

btw: that gif is perfect. ^^
Sure I agree, but still it will be always relative to the others...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Andres125sx

Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 09:38
And i thought my expectations were low.... :shock:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/139032-it- ... -fix-brown
Brown expects to be fighting at the back of the grid at this weekend's Australian Grand Prix, setting a simple target of trying to get both cars to the finish of the race.
"I don't know how many races we've got there but I would be pleasantly surprised if we made it out of Q1 in Melbourne,"
And what were you expecting after winter tests?

I´m probably the most optimistic person about McHonda in this forum, but I´m also a realistic person and after all the problems suffered in winter you simply can´t expect Honda to solve all their problems and then magically the PU can make 58 laps without any problem when they´ve not done a half of that yet :roll:

But I really find it surprising how people is getting suprised by Honda reliability problems. What did you expect after they said theirselves BEFORE winter tests they went for a radical design wich may have reliability problems at the beginning? I´ll repeat this as many people obviously missed it, Hasegawa said before winter tests their radical design to make a huge step forward in perfomance will also bring reliability problems at the beginning of the season.

When I read that I instantly knew first third of the season would be similar to 2015, at least about reliability. My hopes are not about reliability, that will be problematic like it or not. My hopes are about perfomance, wich is what they´re targeting at this point, perfomance, not reliability.

Ok reliability was so bad in pre-season tests they couldn´t even test how the PU performs, but I´ll repeat it, if reliability problems are surprising for any of you, then you didn´t pay attention to Hasegawa statements.

IMHO an optimistic, but realistic point of view about this proyect would be accepting several or even huge reliability problems at the start of the season, but once they start solving those problem the PU should perform decently, and hopefully at last third of the season it will perform at Renault and Ferrari level, wich should be close to Mercedes

That´s their target, not a bullet proof PU from first GP, so to me if they reach that target it would be awesome. Any other hope is plain and simple, daydreaming

GoranF1

Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 11:23
No, just no. Zak does NOT say there will be an Upgrade in China.

btw: that gif is perfect. ^^
So are you telling me a victory in China is out of the question? :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 12:02

And what were you expecting after winter tests?

I´m probably the most optimistic person about McHonda in this forum, but I´m also a realistic person and after all the problems suffered in winter you simply can´t expect Honda to solve all their problems and then magically the PU can make 58 laps without any problem when they´ve not done a half of that yet :roll:

But I really find it surprising how people is getting suprised by Honda reliability problems. What did you expect after they said theirselves BEFORE winter tests they went for a radical design wich may have reliability problems at the beginning? I´ll repeat this as many people obviously missed it, Hasegawa said before winter tests their radical design to make a huge step forward in perfomance will also bring reliability problems at the beginning of the season.

When I read that I instantly knew first third of the season would be similar to 2015, at least about reliability. My hopes are not about reliability, that will be problematic like it or not. My hopes are about perfomance, wich is what they´re targeting at this point, perfomance, not reliability.

Ok reliability was so bad in pre-season tests they couldn´t even test how the PU performs, but I´ll repeat it, if reliability problems are surprising for any of you, then you didn´t pay attention to Hasegawa statements.

IMHO an optimistic, but realistic point of view about this proyect would be accepting several or even huge reliability problems at the start of the season, but once they start solving those problem the PU should perform decently, and hopefully at last third of the season it will perform at Renault and Ferrari level, wich should be close to Mercedes

That´s their target, not a bullet proof PU from first GP, so to me if they reach that target it would be awesome. Any other hope is plain and simple, daydreaming
Like i said before, i expect a decent PU. Nothing Earth shattering. I expected reliability Problems, but i expected them at least to have the Performance to get through Q1 comfortably. Now it seems even that was too high of a Goal. I've been called a McLaren Honda Fanboy on here before, but patience is running low lately.

Edit: See, Renault built a completely new PU too, they were seeing their ERS Problems on the Dyno before Testing and were able to fix it.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... it-875729/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Both Manufacturers have built a completely new PU with the current results:

A) Renault.
1. Reliablity problems: some of them but a least they seem to have solved them(let´s wait to see what happens)
2. Performance: according to some commments this PU has more power, so at least it seems that they have achieved their goal of making a stronger PU.

B) Honda.
1. Reliablity problems: more than Renault and some of them could be related to the structure of the PU and how it affets to the chasis.
2. Performance: the worst part, the new PU seems to be weaker than 2016´s version. So the main goal of reaching a greater power has not been(yet) done.

Just a quick read and one can reach the conclusion that Honda´s work, until now, has been worse than Renault´s.

fellowhoodlums

Curious to know how McLaren / Honda approach Melbourne. Clearly Honda have done some work and improvement but it's not been tested. McLaren will have new components and enhancements too.

In testing, the PU wasn't allowed past a dozen laps before it would shut down. How do they get through the weekend?

Do they run a dozen laps each in FP1/2 then go through Quali (not many laps anyway) and just drive until it is about to break in the race eg lap 12???? They can't let it break surely.

They need mileage but they are now under regulation of 4 individual componant changes for the season so can't just drive it hard in race 1 and 2 because whilst mapping can evolve outwith regulations, any potential physical damage means a new engine before any physical improvements are developed and ready. ie unecessary waste of a PU

They have to try and keep the same PU for both drivers until after China, then hopefully will implement a significant physical fix to get reliability and then be able to develop the car and engine through mapping alone.

dren

Hasegawa stated the new PU is stronger than last year's. It just isn't by much at the moment. The other teams made larger gains than he expected. Honda will have to chase reliability and then performance for the length of the season. It'll be like last year.
Honda!

diffuser

I think they drive like it's any other free practice.

Just the PU people are on high alert. Keep and eye on the sensors.

Thunder

What if Zak is just trolling and the PU really got to a decent level?
#aerogollum

dren

I doubt it. Honda likely needs more time to sort out the issues.
Honda!

Thunder

I mean my explanation of Decent would be "no Driver needs more than 1 Engine replaced over the Weekend, they finish the Race and are somewhere in the respectable Midfield".

I'm really not asking for THAT much. ^^
#aerogollum

diffuser

Talk about transformation....

turbof1

Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:03
I'm really not asking for THAT much. ^^
Let's see... McLaren pumps a total budget of several 100 million's each year in their F1 project to effectively being mid to back grid, the average PU is expected to do on average 5 races and despite Alonso's temperature being hotter then Iceland's Katla, he endures all the pain.

Can I buy your house for 10 pounds, good sir? Seeing you are quite a low-demanding person.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Well i think we all can agree that the Standards for the Word "decent" vary based on who (PU supplier) we are talking about. (Yes i know even that gives them way more slack than they deserve because either you are in F1 or you are not.) Factoring in the Pre Season Tests....

Of course it's nowhere remotely near where a Team like McLaren is supposed to be and the Situation is quite dire but the s*** Honda has gotten itself into is not going to be cleared up in 2 Weeks.

I'm just trying to keep my inner Fanboy in check. :D

And no sir, my House isn't to be had for anything less than
#aerogollum

diffuser

I need 3 races before we kick both your butts!!!