2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

FW17 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 19:19
Alonso is about 1.1 sec/lap behind Massa

Honda should be able to overhaul that difference by Canada

I hope Mclaren has a third chassis and a test team ready to be sent to Sakura by May. Nobody will care if the car is run on bridgestone tyres with Superformula wings
Where in the regulations does it state that Honda can take their engine and put it in a different car with different tires and aero and test freely on a circuit without breaking regulations?

Please show the exact location in the regulations, and please send them to McLaren to remind them to tell Honda it is OK to do this. It would be fantastic if the regulations could be updated so that a single engine manufacturer is allowed X number of miles of testing. This will make it EQUAL playing ground for all engine manufacturers and not play favoritism to the manufacturer with the most customer teams.

FW17

ispano6 wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:59
FW17 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 19:19
Alonso is about 1.1 sec/lap behind Massa

Honda should be able to overhaul that difference by Canada

I hope Mclaren has a third chassis and a test team ready to be sent to Sakura by May. Nobody will care if the car is run on bridgestone tyres with Superformula wings
Where in the regulations does it state that Honda can take their engine and put it in a different car with different tires and aero and test freely on a circuit without breaking regulations?

Please show the exact location in the regulations, and please send them to McLaren to remind them to tell Honda it is OK to do this. It would be fantastic if the regulations could be updated so that a single engine manufacturer is allowed X number of miles of testing. This will make it EQUAL playing ground for all engine manufacturers and not play favoritism to the manufacturer with the most customer teams.
Any idea how many miles Lance Stroll did in a Williams car with who knows what engine last year?

diffuser

mrluke wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 23:21
The point I was making is that the perfectly valid statement that Mclaren cannot fully simulate the loads without running an actual car in testing is just as applicable to Honda as it is to Mclaren.

From what we have heard so far there appears to be a vibration issue related to gear changes that has become apparent when the car is driven in anger but which was not apparent in any of the sim work done to date.

As it is gear change related I'm going to suggest that this is a Mclaren issue however the bigger picture is that it is an integration issue and both parties need to work together better to resolve these.

And lets be honest Mclaren have not turned up with a car that looks to be a match for either Mercedes or Ferrari in the aero game.

As ever both parties have work to do. But the progress made by Honda since testing is good to see and somewhat reassuring.

No doubt Alonso is extra pissed because Ferrari won.
Not caused by the gear changed, resolved by changing earlier. Harmonics issue. Imaging a part in the transmission is made of glass an as you increase rpm you go up the the octave range. Eventually you get to a rpm/octave that shatters the glass.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 23:30

If I were in Mclarens position, IF I had any ground-breaking aero, I wouldn't put it on the car when it can't use it properly or there is a strong chance it will be carried off the Track, for all photographers to see.

I'm not saying they do, I'm simply pointing out your making assumptions and treating them as fact.
But if you dont put it on how do you know it works..... And how do you learn from it and build on it?

diffuser

ispano6 wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:21
Goran2812 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 21:06
The project does not work because the Japanese have too much pride to ask for external help and are thousands of miles away from McLaren HQ where the chassis is made and everything put together. Today, when the competition is brutal, it just can't work. They just can't seem to understand that...
Really is it a "Japanese" thing. That sounds pretty racist to me. I think Eric Boullier and Zak Brown have mentioned, accurately, it is a Honda thing. A Soichiro Honda thing. There is a very famous speech Soichiro Honda made about NOT copying others, about NOT hiring outside help, and that failure is necessary to learn.
Careful, ironically I got dinged for that before. I agree with you it is racist.

Singabule

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 21:29
What was Vandorne doing in the last stint? Very slow lap- faster than Alonso...slow-fast.....
https://twitter.com/F1sMyDrug/status/846080560732753925
Simple, full power of honda and no fuel saving. They want to see is there is Any parts broke on full power. Seems good to be honest

Mansell89

Chicane wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 15:48
Eric Boullier: “Fernando’s car suffered a damaged left-front brake duct early on, but he nonetheless drove a prodigiously impressive race, wringing every last tenth-of-a-second from a compromised car on every lap, and at one stage a points finish looked to be a possibility for him.

“Tantalisingly close to the end of the race, however, the damage on his car developed into a terminal problem, the floor having become irreparably broken, forcing him to drive back to the garage and retire. That was a bitterly disappointing end to a wonderfully spirited drive, but I guess that’s racing.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/au ... rand-prix/
Does anybody else cringe and wince whenever you come across an Eric Boullier summary of their race on Sunday. It's like a failed Ron Speak.

It's a very dramatic way of bending the reality, which is:

"Fernando damaged a front left break duct early on, which just about sums up how pathetic we are at the moment. Fernando drove the arse out of that car but you cannot polish a turd.

We reached the dizzy heights of tenth thanks to people like Lance Stroll, Kevin Magnussen, Sauber F1 team, and retirements. Being nabbed for the final point by an underperforming, pink Force India rubbed salt into a gaping Honda wound. But it's okay- Honda will promise a new design and more power next year, and we will believe it despite the lack of any evidence to support their ambitious claims.

Hang on, got to go- gonna have to leave Andy Cowell another voicemail"

Vasconia

ispano6 wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:
The project does not work because the Japanese have too much pride to ask for external help and are thousands of miles away from McLaren HQ where the chassis is made and everything put together. Today, when the competition is brutal, it just can't work. They just can't seem to understand that...
Really is it a "Japanese" thing. That sounds pretty racist to me. I think Eric Boullier and Zak Brown have mentioned, accurately, it is a Honda thing. A Soichiro Honda thing. There is a very famous speech Soichiro Honda made about NOT copying others, about NOT hiring outside help, and that failure is necessary to learn.
Nowadays the term "racist" is overused. Its true that the Japanese people are very very proud of the way the work and see things. You can like or dislike it, or criticize it which you may think is unfair, but I dont see racism anywhere.

Anyway I still think that this is a very Honda thing, part of their cultural DNA as a company, and I guess they prefer to fail before they aks for help. Thats pretty stupid considering that, for example, they are already trying to copy Mercedes, so they are failing to follow Honda´s primordial idea, originality.

Vasconia

Alonso´s performance in Australia was superb, what a shame he ended with a DNA.

Anyway I must praise Honda´s improvement. Yes, the PU is stil subpar but only two weeks ago they couldn´t make more than laps 15 and today both drivers could have completed the full race and not being the worst ones. Kudos for them because this is a real and important improvement.

SunsAnvil

As a bit of a McLaren fan I am afraid that being positive about reaching the end of the race doesn't cut it for me. The team should be fighting at the front not languishing in 10th+ and trying to say something positive about it.

i70q7m7ghw

Vasconia wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 09:15

Anyway I must praise Honda´s improvement. Yes, the PU is stil subpar but only two weeks ago they couldn´t make more than laps 15 and today both drivers could have completed the full race and not being the worst ones. Kudos for them because this is a real and important improvement.
I think that was more luck than anything else.

They have to throw everything at it this year, by the end of the year this car needs to be on the podium.

Thunder

So i didn't really have time this Weekend to follow closely. Where are we?

-Reliability seems to have been improved.

-Power is still nowhere, even Hasegawa admitted that (short Term mapping improvements coming soon hopefully, Hardware Upgrade at least 2 Months away). source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1472035319

-Fuel Efficiency is bad.

-According to the drivers the Car seems to handle not too shabby.

-Do we know more about that Floor Damage Alonso had that caused the DNF?

All in all better than Feared, worse than hoped and still looooong ways of the Target.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

SunsAnvil wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 09:22
As a bit of a McLaren fan I am afraid that being positive about reaching the end of the race doesn't cut it for me. The team should be fighting at the front not languishing in 10th+ and trying to say something positive about it.
We know it, but they should go step by step, we can´t expect miracles right now. Yesterday´s result was far better tan expected. If they can run normally aero updates will come soon and if Honda makes its job things should improve a lot in two months.

Goran2812

ispano6 wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:
yes, it is a Japanese thing, not only a Honda thing and no, it's not racist, you should choose your words more carefully and not accuse people like that. Japanese have great pride in everything they do, and they want to succeed on their own merit, not with help from others. It's the same in motorsport and their other industries as well.
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 09:48
-Do we know more about that Floor Damage Alonso had that caused the DNF?

All in all better than Feared, worse than hoped and still looooong ways of the Target.
I tried to find info about that one as well be in vain. Might be related to the suspension failure?
Could summarize it any better better. Though my feeling for the next race will still be the same. (fear)