2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fausto cedros

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

In any case, team should have expected it being not new to Honda policy as related to external consultants, product Development and the likes. I think that the ultimate episode that cost Big Ron the chair has been main sponsorship. Some insiders told me that the desperate need For a main sponsor, and his ability in getting one, is the reason why Zak has been hired. So far, the only main sponsor of McL is Honda, so they have to dance whatever music Honda plays, until either Honda or Zak delivers. I wonder if any of you has any thought to spare on the performance of McL executives so far, from Zak down to Boullier, i'll be eager to read, even if i could eye some scattered opinions here and there. Thanks.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

Thunder

Hmm it's too early to judge Zak. I have a good feeling about him though. New Era Caps and Logitech joined and he already said a Main Sponsor is of the utmost Priority. EB.... i rate him positively for now but i don't like the way he handles the Honda Situation right now too much. A bit too much talking in Public. I just have that gut feeling he would push through with a mid Season Engine Supplier Change and i think that would be horrible. Hoping i'm wrong and it's just some well measured public Pressure on Honda.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Singabule

Thunders wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:54
Hmm it's too early to judge Zak. I have a good feeling about him though. New Era Caps and Logitech joined and he already said a Main Sponsor is of the utmost Priority. EB.... i rate him positively for now but i don't like the way he handles the Honda Situation right now too much. A bit too much talking in Public. I just have that gut feeling he would push through with a mid Season Engine Supplier Change and i think that would be horrible. Hoping i'm wrong and it's just some well measured public Pressure on Honda.
I hope so. But look at Hasegawa eyes, he is not sleeping in one week!

bauc

Singabule wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:59
Thunders wrote:
I think we all know that if the new PU that is supposed to come for race 5 or 6 is not on the needed level, Alonso will leave the team and Mclaren will go back to Merc power next year.

Zak so far seems like good choice, we need to give him time, he has only been in the team for 3 months
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

JuanjoTS

My prediction is that McHonda will release 0.500s in one lap power and 1,500s in a race for China GP ... 2 weeks

basti313

bauc wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 13:49
Singabule wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:59
Thunders wrote:
I think we all know that if the new PU that is supposed to come for race 5 or 6 is not on the needed level, Alonso will leave the team and Mclaren will go back to Merc power next year.

Zak so far seems like good choice, we need to give him time, he has only been in the team for 3 months
Puh....I do not think anything of this is true. There is no sign Alonso will end his career like that and it would be quite humiliating.
Also the change to Merc is not on the table. The McLaren F1 team is currently living from Honda money, no one of the small sponsors or even a mediocre main sponsor will change this. And a Merc engine should be a big jump in performance, but it is not. The car is simply not good, integrating a Merc engine will bring them in the region of a FI or Williams...you will not win much sponsors with that perspective.
Don`t russel the hamster!

mclaren111

JuanjoTS wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 14:16
My prediction is that McHonda will release 0.500s in one lap power and 1,500s in a race for China GP ... 2 weeks
Like your optimism :wtf: :wtf:

Big Mangalhit

JuanjoTS wrote:
1,5s gain in the whole race I guess

Jef Patat

JuanjoTS wrote:
And the winning lottery numbers are... #-o

Singabule

How was fuel consumption on china Last year? How much full throttle this year? Bahrain should be not a problem imo. Hey you all, please stop, this is not a culture problem, thats the company decision. #-o

proteus

I see many PC principles lately. Privilege checking is becoming a sporting event....
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

taperoo2k

JonoNic wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 12:25
max_speed wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 11:21
I was only speaking about the progress made in those two weeks.
In 2016 Honda made a clear progress which was not that dificult because the starting point was the terrible 2015 PU.
I think Alonso will wait until May and then he will decide what to do. It would be really shocking to see him leaving the sport.
I am almost 100% sure , Alonso is about to leave sport. he will be mentally annoyed after watching Ferrari win that race.
with Honda everyone's patience is just running out.
i would prefer to see his walking away gracefully than being ridiculed by the performance of that "crap" piece of "power of dreams".
enough is enough , he deserves to fight with vettel and Hamilton and not to be in company of stroll and ericsson.
I would prefer him to call quit and inflict last blow to "Honda" brand. they deserve disrepute.
If Alonso leaves and the PU improves drastically then he only has himself to blame or he makes a good decision. No one can change his mind if he's in this mood.
He might decide to leave McLaren, but I doubt he'd walk out during the season. Especially if he's eyeing up other possible drives. Alonso is between a rock and a hard place - Stick it out at McLaren in the hopes Honda finally delivers or take a gamble with another team in the hopes that gives him the chance at a 3rd title. Which I'm starting to believe he's probably not going to get at this stage of his career.

For McLaren the choice is much starker - They either make the partnership with Honda work or they resign themselves to ending up like Williams. Close but not close enough to the top 3 teams, more often than not tussling with Force India for crucial constructors points and thus prize money. Or they risk the future of the entire McLaren Group by building their own Power Unit.

aral

This thread has gone completely off topic with both abuse and racial slurs being bandied about. So a number of posts have been removed. I would remind you all, and certain posters in particular, about the title of the thread. Please discus the team generally but do not bring in criticisms of different cultures.
Thanks to the people who reported this abuse.

Nuvolari

So, I calculated the pace from the best running car from all (except Sauber) teams in the first 15 laps of Aus GP last weekend. The way I did it: (Gap to P1 - Gap to P1 in the 1st lap)/14

Gives us the deficit in sec/lap

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.062
RBR +0.997
Williams +1.737
Haas +1.852
TR +1.989
FI +2.046
McLaren +2.584
Renault +2.658

OK Hulkenberg was stuck behind Fernando and the Renault is probably a faster car, but it looks like if McHonda can find 1 sec/lap performance in race pace, they'll jump straight to the top of the midfield fighting with P7-P10, probably where they were at the end of last year. How much is the PU detuned, do you guys think? It would be great if McLaren could do this with the properly fixed PU in the next update.

CLKGTR

Frustrated Alonso ‘may leave McLaren before the end of 2017’

Alonso has been 12 years in a row (2003-2014) at least once on the podium with three different teams, but podium seems like a dream now for McLaren Honda :oops:

https://maxf1.net/en/frustrated-alonso- ... d-of-2017/