2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

PlatinumZealot wrote:To be fair boulkier has been doing a good job directing the racing?

So what do you think his responsibilities are as Racing director?

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:To be fair boulkier has been doing a good job directing the racing?

I'm referring more to his personality . Maybe subjectively I don't like him a lot and that may influence my thinking the wrong way :mrgreen:

But at his level you need a Leader and not a Manager :!:

PlatinumZealot

diffuser wrote:

As i come to understand it, he manages the racing team away from the factory (evrything else other than factory side and, commercial side ) : logistics, structuring and leading the racing team members, making sure they have the resources, dealing with suppliers, demanding upgrades,dealing with the regulators etc. Basically running the actual racing side of things.
I thought he did that very well. The team motivation was managed in light of the situation as we saw with the drivers. Upgrades were flowing in at a good pace. The team more or less maximized the majority of races (with the help of the murcurial Alonso of course) Boullier was not discrete when it was about talking about Honda but i thought he managed it better than horner et. al did with Renault. He kept a cool head with the board room sh*t storm in the background. I really can't see what he could have done better leading the team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

I agree with you PZ.

Doesn't the whole technical team report to him? The PPs,Morris's and TG. Those are the technical people that manage, direct and perform the work (as I understand it)

GoranF1

McLaren-Honda will launch its 2017 car on February 19

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/article/ ... eport.html

Or maybe not... :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

Great Article. :D

They do
They don't.

But McLaren was often one of the first to unveil their Cars. So here's hoping.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

OMG, This article is the best and that photo from Schumacher where it says Mclaren to launch their car :D

On other hand, it really does not change much to us, as we know that almost all teams will launch their cars more or less one week before the start of the pre-season testing meaning the period from 20-27th of February. However, I think the one who will unveil first, will generate the most publicity simply due to the new rules which will give us better looking cars.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

kasio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
diffuser wrote:

As i come to understand it, he manages the racing team away from the factory (evrything else other than factory side and, commercial side ) : logistics, structuring and leading the racing team members, making sure they have the resources, dealing with suppliers, demanding upgrades,dealing with the regulators etc. Basically running the actual racing side of things.
I thought he did that very well. The team motivation was managed in light of the situation as we saw with the drivers. Upgrades were flowing in at a good pace. The team more or less maximized the majority of races (with the help of the murcurial Alonso of course) Boullier was not discrete when it was about talking about Honda but i thought he managed it better than horner et. al did with Renault. He kept a cool head with the board room sh*t storm in the background. I really can't see what he could have done better leading the team.
Well. I am engineer myself so i will talk from my point of view. In general engineer does not need manager to do his task. Especially when its related to fulfilling his part in working mechanism which McLaren was before Boulier or at least became after his arrival. Engineer even does not need him to be motivated! Engineer is being motivated by success and progress. Motivation is something what is maybe required for writer or singer or whatewer least of all its engineer. Biggest task what manager needs to do is coordination work between different engineers (because they do not know each others "fields".) This is the hardest part because Manager needs to know all of "fields" not in a depth but still. Manager needs to know what exactly You can ask from each engineer.

In general what has been seen on a web: http://en.f1i.com/magazine/39861-tells- ... llier.html
that is what Boulier is actually doing, but his quotes on different sources and also results show that he lacks "last mile" - i mean he is always behind even if he is smart enough to handle all that engineering stuff he lacks that last bit and attention to detail (or feeling) which is needed to win. (For example Williams pitstops is clear example of attention to detail. They have made modifications to car to be faster on pitstops.)
He is "ok" but not "it"!

... But his remarks... still i wouldn't like him to stay as a team leader even if he is being silent from now on... because as i said of his lack of right focus.
I believe McLaren will not win championships with him as a head. Thats why i pray.

Lucky

SKY:
Zak Brown hope fans are "excited" by the look of the 2017 McLaren when it is unveiled before pre-season testing.
Although no launch date has yet been set, the team's new executive director confirmed he had signed off the car's livery with the team's workforce given the first look at the car.
"I've just signed off on the new car livery, so I think the fans are going to be excited about what the car looks like, both technically and visually," Brown said at the Autosport International Show.
"[We will launch] right before the Spain test, no specific date yet. But we've shown it to the shop floor and are very exited about our future".

mclaren111

kasio:
He is "ok" but not "it"!

... But his remarks... still i wouldn't like him to stay as a team leader even if he is being silent from now on... because as i said of his lack of right focus.
I believe McLaren will not win championships with him as a head. Thats why i pray.
Totally agree =D> =D> =D>

Let's Pray [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

bauc

McLaren's 2017 car exciting 'technically and visually' - Zak Brown

Source: ESPN F1.com

New McLaren executive director Zak Brown thinks fans will be excited about the 2017 McLaren "both technically and visually".

American businessman Brown was appointed to his new role after the departure of CEO Ron Dennis in November last year. His job started on the eve of sweeping regulation changes for 2017 and the scrapping of the engine token system which restricted Honda's development since returning to the grid with McLaren in 2015.

The new cars will produce more aggressive-looking cars which should dramatically reduce lap time due to increased levels of downforce. McLaren's Fernando Alonso has predicted the cars will bring back the "wow" factor from the previous decade in the V10 and V12 eras.

Though Brown did not confirm when McLaren would launch the car, he said there is already a buzz about the 2017 challenger in the team's factory.

"We're working on the launch date right now," he said at the Autosport International Show. "It's going to be right before the Spain test, so late February. We've shown it to the guys and girls at McLaren and we're very excited for our future.

"We've just signed off on the car livery and I think the fans will be excited to find out what the car looks like both technically and visually."

Brown thinks fans are going to be impressed with all the cars on this year's grid.

"The cars are going to be faster and I hope the racing is better and closer. Anytime you get a rules shake-up, it means there will be someone will get it more right than anticipated and someone will get it more wrong than anticipated.

"The cars are going to be very fast, they look great and they are going to look meaner with these bigger and wider wings."

Testing begins in Barcelona on February 27, and is split into two sets of four-day events. The F1 season begins a month later in Melbourne on March 26.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So new livery guys?! What you you think?

Thunder

I say the Livery stays mostly the same (i have zero problems with the 2016 Livery, so that wouldn't be a negative for me) but secretly hope for som Papaya Orange Action.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

gary123

I just hope that both Mclaren and Honda deliver some good performances like fighting for podiums.
Livery I don't care anymore, the team is lacking sponsors and they haven't found yet a substitute for Mobil 1(Exxon Mobil) which brought a lot of money into the team.

bauc

gary123 wrote:I just hope that both Mclaren and Honda deliver some good performances like fighting for podiums.
Livery I don't care anymore, the team is lacking sponsors and they haven't found yet a substitute for Mobil 1(Exxon Mobil) which brought a lot of money into the team.
I agree, performance & result are No1 priority. It was just that he points out that they've singed on the livery and I think they've would not mentioned it, if it remained more or less the same.

Gridlock

From memory it was Mr Dennis who dictated livery, with not much time for nostalgia. So best chance for a surprise on that front for a while, perhaps. At the very least there's no West or Vodafone to be involved :/