2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Redragon

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Basically they are saying they expect to be beaten by Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull. If the Honda Power Unit does another improvement as last year and after hearing to say they have one of the best chasis on the grid (3rd) last year. I would love to hear a bit more optimistic forecast from them such as we are going to be fighting for 3rd and if the track is favorable to our specs grab a 2nd or if lucky a win. 4th is too conservative to me seeing what Force India did last year with 3 times less budget.

PS Sorry for the multipost I am on a mobile and I don't know how I did it
Last edited by Redragon on 13 Jan 2017, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

kasio

diffuser wrote:
With regards to the pitstop stuff, not sure that would have been something I would have spent resources on last year. They were too far back to have pitstops make a difference. plus with the chassis changing so much this year alot of those tools might have had to have been redesigned.
Pitstops made big difference last Year for team (i was quite a lot upset by bad timing and duration of pitstops). I think that You still can win even if you do not win a race. You win small fight for fifth or sixth or for last point. We lost a lot of those battles. That's why i think it is important. When time comes and we will be strong enough to fight for first we will not be able to do it without lightning fast pitstops and good timing.

In general i think that area is weak and is as important to fix as engine or suspension.

amho

kasio wrote:
diffuser wrote:
With regards to the pitstop stuff, not sure that would have been something I would have spent resources on last year. They were too far back to have pitstops make a difference. plus with the chassis changing so much this year alot of those tools might have had to have been redesigned.
Pitstops made big difference last Year for team (i was quite a lot upset by bad timing and duration of pitstops). I think that You still can win even if you do not win a race. You win small fight for fifth or sixth or for last point. We lost a lot of those battles. That's why i think it is important. When time comes and we will be strong enough to fight for first we will not be able to do it without lightning fast pitstops and good timing.

In general i think that area is weak and is as important to fix as engine or suspension.
I agree that Mclaren was poor on making pit calls and I don't know if it was due to their tyre wear weakness or weak decision-prediction of Mclaren's strategist.
Does anyone knows if there is a software for analyzing data and prediction of best time for pit call?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

diffuser

I agree, they need to get better.

My point was that it might have cost them 1 or 2 points ...lets say it cost them 10 points. Who cares? They really need 100 more points and pit stops wasn't going to get that for them. They needed to be 1 sec a lap faster.

I can see where spending time on the 2017 chassis had a higher priority than the 2016 pits stops.

mrluke

Does anybody here think the pit stops will be done by the same people that are designing Aero?

The pit stops are just another symptom, it is an area of the race weekend that is completely 100% within Mclaren's control and they are outshone by many of the small teams let alone the large ones.

godlameroso

I disagree, they made good calls and they made bad calls. For example, they made brilliant calls in Austria, Singapore, and Malaysia, they made poor calls in Germany, and Brazil.

This is nothing new for McLaren, did you guys watch the 2012 and 2010 seasons?
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

well maybe that was me....originally there was a comparison with Williams pit stops.

I thought we were referring to the pit stop tools Williams improved to decrease the pit stop time.

godlameroso

In that case I apologize, I must have missed that part.
Saishū kōnā

alexa

Did Jos Capito left Mclaren?McLaren would make no comment on Capito's position when approached by Autosport.

Roostfactor

Thats the rumor but no news since Dec 19th.

mclaren111

alexa wrote:Did Jos Capito left Mclaren?McLaren would make no comment on Capito's position when approached by Autosport.
I really hope not [-o< [-o<

If he stays then we have a change. That means he can lead the whole team.

TG (Technical Director) and EB (Racing Director) must be on same level reporting to JC.

PP (Aerodynamics) and MM (Engineering) just below them. I think that's a good workable management structure.

alexa

Boullier: McLaren targeting race wins in 2017
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has said that the team's main aim in 2017 above all else has to be "to win" Grand Prix races - but he admits that it remains a tall order for the once-dominant racing organisation.

"In reality, I want to be pragmatic and not set expectations too high," Boullier told Autosport magazine this week. "We want to win as early as possible, but I'm dealing with the reality."

The team's chief operations officer Jonathan Neale had previously said that the team would be disappointed with fourth place or lower in this year's championship, but Boullier was realistic about McLaren's chances of overhauling Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari at the top of the table.

"We were ninth [two years ago], sixth last year so hopefully we're in the top four next year," he said.

"I'm very happy with the Honda approach and I'm happy with the group of engineers we have in McLaren," he added. "It's working absolutely perfectly now.

"They are working hard, but the days when you can turn up with a new aero kit on the car and gain one second are finished.

"Now it's incremental gains all the time. And it's also just time."
If you take a look at available jobs in McLaren, they are lacking a lot high level engineers in many departments. Among all top teams McLaren is most affected by lack of engineers 4 or 5 times more than any other team. RB for example has only 2 jobs available, then comes Merc, Ferrai, Williams... McLaren management should be concerned because experienced engineers are leaving them, and the gaps keep getting bigger and bigger.

the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
alexa wrote:Did Jos Capito left Mclaren?McLaren would make no comment on Capito's position when approached by Autosport.

TG (Technical Director) and EB (Racing Director) must be on same level reporting to JC.

PP (Aerodynamics) and MM (Engineering) just below them. I think that's a good workable management structure.
Well his still listed as CEO on their website http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/

lio007

the EDGE wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Well his still listed as CEO on their website http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/
I don't think it's up to date. Zac Brown isn't listed.

-wkst-

And won't be listed, because he is exucutive director of the mclaren technology group.