2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ronanharris09

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Vasconia wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 15:25
FW17 wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 12:45
That would be the worst marketing idea to be suggests by Brown and heard by Honda
For some reason it has worked for Renault and Red Bull.
Less development cost for long-term, and allows them to focus on some area to improve
When it comes to 💻 science 💫, what I much about it 💢 is analyzing the 📉 📊 👌.

ronanharris09

But it depends if they can understand the package. .
When it comes to 💻 science 💫, what I much about it 💢 is analyzing the 📉 📊 👌.

RS200E

Ah maybe I would get 2 up votes if I my post on the previous page saying the same thing was only 2 sentences.
ringo wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 04:59
Mclaren can beat mercedes with the merc engine over a season. Its not a natural law that it cannot happen.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

RS200E

It's quite different as Red Bull still have a Renault engine just with a different name.
McLaren would have a Mercedes engine, I assume branded Mercedes, while Honda got their act together elsewhere.

The only reason I can think why Honda would give McLaren money while at Sauber is some sort of apology fund!

Also maybe when/if Honda get it right, going back to the McLaren partnership might not be the best for McLaren or Honda. A lot could change in that time. Hopefully McLaren will get everything to work in their favour.
Vasconia wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 15:25
FW17 wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 12:45
That would be the worst marketing idea to be suggests by Brown and heard by Honda
For some reason it has worked for Renault and Red Bull.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

diffuser

I think that whole Tag/Renault thing at RB is dump too. Like who doesn't know it's not Tag Building the PU in the RB?

Whatever Tag's Money ..it is Tag right ?

etusch

Come on between Renault and RBR is name problem. Renault didn't want to give them his engine because of RBR's insults to Renault. Mclaren and Mercedes subject is different from Tag branded Renault PU subject. İt is more like Merc's rejection of givin RBR PU.

Stormy

I can't see Merc giving McLaren engines because then McLaren will be a force to be reckoned with. Having said that, if Merc sign a contract with McLaren it means that they are pulling away as constructors and going back to McLaren as an exclusive distributor and partner just like before 2010. Merc may give them an engine next year, but that will mean that Daimler will pull the plug off their works team maybe even before 2020.

So, if this happens, Sauber becomes a works team? :D That would be cool actually.

ringo

I think mercedes can benefit with mclaren having a mercedes engine. Especially outside of formula1.
In fact they dont stand to suffer any negative publicity if both are fighting for a championship with the same engine.
For Sure!!

Stormy

ringo wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 17:37
I think mercedes can benefit with mclaren having a mercedes engine. Especially outside of formula1.
In fact they dont stand to suffer any negative publicity if both are fighting for a championship with the same engine.
I think being beaten by your customer team is not something to brag about. That's why Ferrari and Merc didn't give RB an engine.

Mattchu

Just thinking about this Mercedes engine in the McLaren badged as a Honda (which i don`t see happening) and i had a thought/question.
Has any team ever ran 2 different manufacturer engines in their cars? You know like McLaren running a Honda engine in one car and a Mercedes in the other....Wouldn`t that be ace :)

I`ll say it again though, the fact Honda and Renault to some extent are unable to build an engine anywhere near as good as Mercedes or Ferraris is really not doing Formula 1 as a whole any good! Why would any other manufacturer be it VW, Toyota, BMW, etc even consider entering F1 if its that hard and takes so much time and resources..I really can`t see anyone but works Mercedes or works Ferrari winning the titles until 2020!

adrianjordan

Stormy wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 00:03
I can't see Merc giving McLaren engines because then McLaren will be a force to be reckoned with. Having said that, if Merc sign a contract with McLaren it means that they are pulling away as constructors and going back to McLaren as an exclusive distributor and partner just like before 2010. Merc may give them an engine next year, but that will mean that Daimler will pull the plug off their works team maybe even before 2020.

So, if this happens, Sauber becomes a works team? :D That would be cool actually.
Totally off topic, but I kind of like the irony of Mercedes taking over the old Honda team and Honda now joining forces with the former BMW works team...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

etusch

İf mclaren not doing thunder without rain, Honda can canalise money to Suaber and they can take good results.

makecry

etusch wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 22:51
İf mclaren not doing thunder without rain, Honda can canalise money to Suaber and they can take good results.
Sauber is not going to produce a chassis equivalent to McLaren even if they are given loads of money for atleast 3-4 years. A weak chassis combined with Honda's PU ain't going to produce good results at all.

godlameroso

The chassis was fast enough to get points in Barcelona, an aero heavy track, so maybe, let's see.
Saishū kōnā

makecry

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 00:18
The chassis was fast enough to get points in Barcelona, an aero heavy track, so maybe, let's see.
That's a statement that's true when you don't look at the context. Kimi, Bottas and Max retired. Alonso's race was screwed by Massa in the first lap itself. Without these retirements and accidents, Sauber wouldn't have scored any points and they also benefitted greatly from the VSC as well.