2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:53
RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:44
Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:05
If I was McLaren I would have contacted Mercedes and I could have even promised I´ll use their PU next season, but that does not mean McLaren has made the decision yet. You cannot contact a different manufacturer saying "if Honda can solve the problems I´ll stay with them, but if not, I want you to give me a good PU". Nosense.

I think, and hope, McLaren is doing their homework so they´re preparing any alternative to be able to make the correct decision when neccessary, and that does include a good relationship with Mercedes just in case you want their PU again. But that does not mean they will use their PU next season for sure, far from that

At least that´s my take on this, rennouncing to Honda before they see how the new PU performs would be utterly stupid. Any reason to cope with three seasons of problems and when Honda finally have the freedom to solve the problems of their completely new 2017 PU, sign a contract with Mercedes just weeks/days before Honda can show the perfomance of their new PU? Complete nosense

I know many of you are frustrated with Honda, but to me this would be complete nosense by McLaren part
Eventually you have to stop waiting for the impossible and act. F1 doesn't wait around for anyone and if Honda really had this miracle engine they would have produced the engine in Canada.
Sorry but I can´t see any logic in this. Any reason it should have been ready for Canada and that would have been good but if it´s ready for Baku it´s bad?

RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:44
I think it's the right choice actually going with Mercedes will mean they also keep Alonso and Prodromou
Alonso left Ferrari because he was tired of fighting for second. I can´t see how McLaren-Mercedes would be better or it would motivate Alonso to stay.

Actually I think that decision would instantly put Alonso out of F1 :(
Quite the contrary, he thinks the chassis is good and with the best engine it would only require McLaren to ace a good chassis to be fighting with merc. Even IF they don't give them the full Q3 qauli mode on the engine it will still be miles better than anything Honda can produce especially with only three engines per driver next year.

With Honda sadly it's a possibility you could be taking engine penalties as early as race three.

If you believe Honda can produce an engine that can both match a merc next year and be reliable and fuel efficient then you have a lot more faith in them than me...I guess we shall see who's right with sauber at least.

godlameroso

It's still 4 engines next year, also next year's chassis will be an evolution of this year's chassis, no need to start over. Regarding Honda, it makes more sense to bring worthwhile updates. Both Ferrari and Renault went backwards before they could go forward. This situation was inevitable, it was always going to be worse for Honda since they started off in such poor shape.

Unlike Red Bull, McLaren seems like it will follow through on the divorce. I just hope it's not something McLaren later regrets. People don't understand how much work goes to develop these power units. It's even worse that some of these people are the ones pulling the purse strings.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

I think no one denies these PU's are a mega complex nightmare, but after 3 Years you should be able to reach some expectations. And for now they didn't.

Also the RedBull situation is not compareable to the McLaren situation. They were winning Races with that seemingly godawful Renault PU, McLaren is relieved when they finish Races at all.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:25
It's still 4 engines next year, also next year's chassis will be an evolution of this year's chassis, no need to start over. Regarding Honda, it makes more sense to bring worthwhile updates. Both Ferrari and Renault went backwards before they could go forward. This situation was inevitable, it was always going to be worse for Honda since they started off in such poor shape.

Unlike Red Bull, McLaren seems like it will follow through on the divorce. I just hope it's not something McLaren later regrets. People don't understand how much work goes to develop these power units. It's even worse that some of these people are the ones pulling the purse strings.
You sure it's 4?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-r ... 20429/?s=1
"With fewer engines next year, it's three per driver next season, it makes things even easier to do that. I'm not making a statement that yes, we'd be happy to, but are we capable of supplying four teams? Yes we are."
Also they still need to adapt it to a new engine and figure out cooling systems,new gear box ect

Big Mangalhit

Teams voted for keeping 4 pu for next year albeit with cost reduction in geneva this year if i am not mistaken. But no confirmation one way or the other. Probably will see something later on.

RedNEO

Big Mangalhit wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:41
Teams voted for keeping 4 pu for next year albeit with cost reduction in geneva this year if i am not mistaken. But no confirmation one way or the other. Probably will see something later on.
I do hope it's 4 especially with one extra race. Or practice sessions will be pretty barren. At least that would be a small silver lining for Honda next year.
Last edited by RedNEO on 21 Jun 2017, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

What if next year ferrari and Renault PUs better than merc?

Thunder

etusch wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:53
Even if that happens the Merc PU won't be that much worse in comparison to the Top PU than the Honda PU is right now compared to the Merc.
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

People keep making assumptions about next year Honda perfomance based on the perfomance of their first attempt for a completely new PU they tried this season, and to me that´s a mistake. We should at least wait and see what are they doing to solve it.

It´s the third season of the proyect, but it´s their first completely new PU after their very first mistake in 2015 wich they were not allowed to solve (tokens) during both 2015 and 16. Only this season they were allowed to redesign everything from scratch, and they specifically said it was a risky design. It went wrong, completely wrong obviously, but they´re working for 6 months now to solve it and we will not see the results till this or next GP. Making any drastic decision before checking what´s the perfomance of the hugely revised PU would be a hug mistake IMHO. It´s Honda after all, what if they solved it and now they´re competitive?

Would be sensible to abandon the proyect only some days before they can see the results of 6 months of work in Sakura? I don´t think so, but to me its obvious McLaren are preparing theirselves for any scenario AFTER Honda introduce their new PU, and that does include some talks with Mercedes wich motivated the media for some wild speculation, but preparing for any scenario is very different to making a decision
Last edited by Andres125sx on 21 Jun 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

Thunders wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:58
etusch wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:53
Even if that happens the Merc PU won't be that much worse in comparison to the Top PU than the Honda PU is right now compared to the Merc.
What is the point of that?

Thunder

Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 14:30
People keep making assumptions about next year Honda perfomance based on the perfomance of their first attempt for a completely new PU they tried this season, and to me that´s a mistake. We should at least wait and see what are they doing to solve it.
I specifically talked about the present state, as in "right now". No one even knows what this weekends Upgrade brings. It's just their Track Record isn't exactly flawless that is frustrating.
#aerogollum

bauc

RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 11:52
HPD wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 21:32
Mclaren Mercedes (Chinese story) :roll:
When asked by GPUpdate.net if Mercedes was open to supplying McLaren in 2018, Wolff replied: "This is not our priority at the moment.

more: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3547 ... ren-honda/
But you left out the good part..

"First, we would like to see Honda and McLaren sorting out their relationship."
He added: "If you are being considered as the new bride, you want the couple to divorce first, before you jump into the bed."

I wonder how McLaren and Honda will announce the split?
Few moths back when Eddie Jordan said Mclaren will use Mercedes engines next year, everyone involved denied it right away, now Mercedes says lets wait and see, if we go in we want a clear picture (Mclaren to officially end its Honda deal) so to me it sounds that a pre-agreement with Mercedes has been signed and they are now waiting to see what will happen at the end.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 15:01
Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 14:30
I specifically talked about the present state, as in "right now". No one even knows what this weekends Upgrade brings. It's just their Track Record isn't exactly flawless that is frustrating.
This weekend´s update is like a 2.2 update and not the definitive "big" one which I think won´t come until Austria. Its fustrating because those power tracks are the best ones to check out if the new PU can deliver.

etusch

I wonder that if merc denied to give PU to RBR because of they don't want to be beaten by another team with their own engine and now accepting to give PU to mclaren I have 2 things in my mind.
1 They see that they can't win anymore WDC /WCC and decided to choose more money.
2 They don't see any potential to be beaten by mclaren
When I think about this merc team, you know, Honda decided to leave F1, team was about to shut down, there was no buyer. Then Brawn bought the team then they won CC. After that They become Merc's own team and these dominant years. I think being in such a very bad situation, sometimes end different.
Because of Alonso, Bullier and Brown's statements I don't want to see mclaren winning with Honda PU. But for sure this year is worst year to leave Honda. A potential (big potential) divorce send 3 years to waste. New question is if you don't keep this why you had started and lost these years?

epo
epo

They don't see Mclaren winning with a Mercedes, kinda obvious huh? No one sees that happening and it will not happen.