2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

I think Honda must find someone to work with but whatever it cost they must left mclaren. Redbul is more likely and more close to success

marvin78

Gerhardsa wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:32
marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:22
So let others help devlope the PU in another car and grab it back when it is good enough. And Honda should play along with such a stupid game?
Who will you put your money on to win a championship(when the engine is on par with Ferrari and Merc)? Sauber or McLaren?
My point goes into the direction that you can watch Mercedes and see, how important it is to develop the PU with the car around it. I know that McLaren and Honda cannot or won't do the same thing as Mercedes. But you cannot know how the PU works in your car, when it works fine in a Sauber. I see so many irks and quirks in this idea.

BTW: I don't see the point of having Alonso in the car either. I don't even know if it helps the development to have someone like him if you are at the end of the field. It would be another thing if testing was allowed like in the 90s.

ZakB

marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:43
Gerhardsa wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:32
marvin78 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:22
So let others help devlope the PU in another car and grab it back when it is good enough. And Honda should play along with such a stupid game?
Who will you put your money on to win a championship(when the engine is on par with Ferrari and Merc)? Sauber or McLaren?
My point goes into the direction that you can watch Mercedes and see, how important it is to develop the PU with the car around it. I know that McLaren and Honda cannot or won't do the same thing as Mercedes. But you cannot know how the PU works in your car, when it works fine in a Sauber. I see so many irks and quirks in this idea.

BTW: I don't see the point of having Alonso in the car either. I don't even know if it helps the development to have someone like him if you are at the end of the field. It would be another thing if testing was allowed like in the 90s.
They can easily test how powerful the engine is, so development isn't a problem. When it's good enough there is more than enough time to integrate the engine in the design.

Andres125sx

I think that would have been a great strategy three seasons ago, but not now when Honda is finally solving their problems. If signing Honda was a mistake, quitting now would be another one, maybe even bigger

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 17:12
I think that would have been a great strategy three seasons ago, but not now when Honda is finally solving their problems. If signing Honda was a mistake, quitting now would be another one, maybe even bigger
For sure.

BrunoH

Agreed.. i have posted before, they are stuck!!! going to mercedes is a step back! they wont be winning.... going out now with Honda after all the pain, and then for example Sauber gets the deal and the money, and Honda make a decent engine.. im not talking top2 maybe equal to renault... then its a disaster all over again.... paying for engines, less money and the same or similar performance, than the Honda engine will deliver...
They just need to make it work! and pray that it all will be more or less ok for next year!

HPD

daren_p

Alonso's data doesn't count for much here, towards the end of the race he was doing slow/recharge laps, followed by a fast lap, so not actual race pace.

j.yank

daren_p wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 20:19
Alonso's data doesn't count for much here, towards the end of the race he was doing slow/recharge laps, followed by a fast lap, so not actual race pace.
So, you are saying that without towing effect, only on rechargeable lap, he is capable to produce 350 km/h? Now, look at the qualification speed of Alonso, where the slow/recharge laps are norm: http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ication-30

daren_p

j.yank wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 21:14
daren_p wrote:
So, you are saying that without towing effect, only on rechargeable lap, he is capable to produce 350 km/h? Now, look at the qualification speed of Alonso, where the slow/recharge laps are norm: http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ication-30
Doesn't the qualifying data look a bit strange? Stoff is 18 across the board where as Alonso is 15,4,19, one would think they would typically be in the same ballpark as each other, possibly running different mapping from each other during qualifying?

BrunoH

no.. its like having Ayrton Senna in the car.. these kind of drivers are able to get up to 3/4 of a second against the standard f1 driver... thats what they are worth... and that in development money invested is a lot.. so the trade-off is a good one.
remember ayrton putting over 1.5 seconds in Monaco against Alain in the same car... !?

daren_p

BrunoH wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 22:43
no.. its like having Ayrton Senna in the car.. these kind of drivers are able to get up to 3/4 of a second against the standard f1 driver... thats what they are worth... and that in development money invested is a lot.. so the trade-off is a good one.
remember ayrton putting over 1.5 seconds in Monaco against Alain in the same car... !?
Understandable, yes drivers do make a difference but the data seems too random here for that to be the case. If they were using the same setup/car, you would just expect the better driver to be a bit faster in each speed trap, but this isn't the case here.

diffuser

etusch wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:26
On paper it’s a good strategy,” team boss Eric Boullier told Britain’s Sky.
“If you can run a (different) engine for the time being until Honda is competitive, then why not? This is one of the various scenarios we may have considered,” he added.
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff said in Baku that the issue of McLaren’s 2018 engine supplier needs to be resolved by around the end of the summer.
Boullier admitted the decision is “a question of weeks” away.

Gptoday's news
wow....did you see that interview ???? it was all kind of tongue-in-cheek.

diffuser

etusch wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:38
I think Honda must find someone to work with but whatever it cost they must left mclaren. Redbul is more likely and more close to success
The expression for that is "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" no way, RBR would just yell and scream at Honda non stop.

Singabule

daren_p wrote:
I think everyone should know that recharging cycle is a normal process, even Stroll is being passed on the Last lap because he is not recharge it before. You cant go full power every time you want, it is normal. And it is ensure that the spec 2 is not 100hp behind. I think spec 3 will put honda just 40hp behind Merc, as same as renault now.