2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Postmoe

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

dren wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 13:18
Probably a PR response to Honda's statement that Mclaren wasn't willing to accept different culture/accept change.
Or perhaps telling the truth.

You know, if he was caught in the middle he will be most certainly blamed by Honda. It is a normal thing to happen in thoses situations..

dren

Postmoe wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 10:31
dren wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 13:18
Probably a PR response to Honda's statement that Mclaren wasn't willing to accept different culture/accept change.
Or perhaps telling the truth.

You know, if he was caught in the middle he will be most certainly blamed by Honda. It is a normal thing to happen in thoses situations..
It absolutely could be true. The truth likely lies somewhere in the middle.
Honda!

Wazari

Yamamoto-san's comments comparing McLaren and STR to food was IMO so clever (can't think of the right word). Japanese people stereotypically refer to French food as tasting good and looking good but made with lots of butter and fat and bad for you in the long run. "Stew" or nabeyouri in Japan is made from fish stock, usually full of vegetables, tofu and maybe some seafood. Isn't that glamorous but satisfying and nutritious. Interesting analogies, I thought.

As far Boullier being a "peacekeeper"................no comment.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

etusch

Wazari wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 18:00
Yamamoto-san's comments comparing McLaren and STR to food was IMO so clever (can't think of the right word). Japanese people stereotypically refer to French food as tasting good and looking good but made with lots of butter and fat and bad for you in the long run. "Stew" or nabeyouri in Japan is made from fish stock, usually full of vegetables, tofu and maybe some seafood. Isn't that glamorous but satisfying and nutritious. Interesting analogies, I thought.

We will see truth about everything next year but I prefer to trust Honda side

zeph

Wazari wrote:
Well, it's gonna be crunch time for him next season. Any team deficiencies currently masked by Honda's dismal PU's will be laid bare for all to see. If they have as many 3+ second pitstops as they have had this year, I'm sure questions will be asked.

Chuckjr

Imo it would make zero sense to not put the Honda spec 4 in the McLaren before the years end. Why would Honda not want to test their latest offering in anger over many weekends? Call me crazy but it seems obvious this would be necessary to better prepare themselves for 2018. It's like free testing sessions the rest of the year for Honda--nobody expects anything, they are splitting from McLaren at the end of the year, so they can't be fired for failures....so take advantage of the time I say!
Watching F1 since 1986.

damager21

Chuckjr wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 08:16
Imo it would make zero sense to not put the Honda spec 4 in the McLaren before the years end. Why would Honda not want to test their latest offering in anger over many weekends? Call me crazy but it seems obvious this would be necessary to better prepare themselves for 2018. It's like free testing sessions the rest of the year for Honda--nobody expects anything, they are splitting from McLaren at the end of the year, so they can't be fired for failures....so take advantage of the time I say!
Absolutely. Honda needs to make the best of next 6 races by bringing all possible updates and testing them out on track. With limited testing during winter and even more stringent rules on number of components to be used next year, Honda needs to make the most of it.

Postmoe

Wazari wrote:

Surprinsingly enough, this stereotype with buttery France only makes for one year difference in the average life expectancy, while a notably less developed Spain is almost there with Japan.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... expectancy

Very clever comparison indeed.

It's going to be a very interesting year: we will see if fatty Renault diet helps Mclaren perform after some years of low carb fasting.

One can never know.

Nonserviam85

Wazari wrote:

Astute is probably the word you were looking for.

mclaren111

On the positive side PP can start testing ideas for 2018 asap.

If it were up too me I would start working on new sidepods and other aero parts that's based on the info from Renault and bolt it on to MCL-32 to get as much aero info as possible this year already.

nanocustic

To be honest, I'm far more intrigued about the changes of suspension philosophy from 2015 onward.

If the Honda engine was masking this problem, then it should appear right away next year.
Meliora

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 12:51

If it were up too me I would start working on new sidepods and other aero parts that's based on the info from Renault and bolt it on to MCL-32 to get as much aero info as possible this year already.

The McLaren and RBR sidepods look a lot alike.

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 20:10
mclaren111 wrote:

It's almost as if there was some shared history between their designers... 😜
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

etusch

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 23:04
diffuser wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 20:10
mclaren111 wrote:

It's almost as if there was some shared history between their designers... 😜
=D>

PhillipM

As far as the sidepods, etc, go, you're not going to be testing revised sidepods from the specs of the Renault motor because your internal packaging and covers are going to be different to the Renault motor - what works on the Renault won't work with the Honda motor, so apart from correlation testing it's not going to do anything bar hurt the performance.