2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

Well Gasly hasn't been all that impressive.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 20:45
In F1 or throughout his career?

Got to give the kid time. Look at Vandoorne, Stroll or even Ocon to some extent. They all needed time to settle in.

Jolle

The Sainz move must have been last minute. I can't get my head around the drivers carousel going on there otherwise.

If the move to score more points to get Gasly in the car, it well can backfire because I don't know how they could demoralise Kvyat even more. Especially with the press statement when they pulled him from the car.

It just doesn't make sense. They are very vulnerable now to loose their constructor position not just to HAAS but also to Renault.

kptaylor

Saw this in the Silly Season thread. What engine/chassis allocation does Kyvat get? Gasly inherited his when he replaced Kyvat. Does Kyvat take his back or take over Sainz's? What official role did Gasly play? Was he reserve then replacement with Kyvat moved into reserve role? If so, wouldn't he be replacing Sainz so he'd inherit his allocations? Interesting stuff for sure!

Jolle

Guess Kvyat goes back to his own chassis and Gasly will replace Sainz now.

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:
With 0 experience in F1 I think his performance has been good so far.

Manoah2u

Vasconia wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 11:15
godlameroso wrote:
Same went for DannyRic, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz and they all are absolute GODS compared to Gasly.
Godlameroso is right, Gasly has been all but impressive.

Sure give it time would be smart, but that doesn't take away that from seeing him spooned in midseason/endseason, one would have expected more from him if such a decision is made instead of just 'spooning' him in next year.

Then again, i must admit, we sometimes are mistaken on how difficult it can be. I remember Massa's incident and his replacements. I remember Luca Badoer stepping in. Not that he ever was on any 'A-star' driver capacities or anything really special, but he struggled so much it was embarassing, and it was hardly his fault. Fisichella, driving for Force India all year long then took over and didn't really do much better. A bit, but not much. Kimi was on a whole other level though. Neither Badoer or Fisichella came even remotely close to Massa or Raikkonen's performances,
despite Fisichella being far from a bad driver, and again, Badoer wasn't the worst either. Neither of both were 'Ericsson' or 'Palmer' cr*p, but in that Ferrari, well, they were exactly that somehow.

So agreed, wait and see but i do wonder whether NOT stepping in in Austin is the wisest decision for his 'development' path. Then again, his F1 experience now might do him a lot of good for the SuperFormula.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 11:48
Vasconia wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Same went for DannyRic, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz and they all are absolute GODS compared to Gasly.

Sure give it time would be smart, but that doesn't take away that from seeing him spooned in midseason/endseason, one would have expected more from him if such a decision is made instead of just 'spooning' him in next year.

Then again, i must admit, we sometimes are mistaken on how difficult it can be. I remember Massa's incident and his replacements. I remember Luca Badoer stepping in. Not that he ever was on any 'A-star' driver capacities or anything really special, but he struggled so much it was embarassing, and it was hardly his fault. Fisichella, driving for Force India all year long then took over and didn't really do much better. A bit, but not much. Kimi was on a whole other level though. Neither Badoer or Fisichella came even remotely close to Massa or Raikkonen's performances,
despite Fisichella being far from a bad driver, and again, Badoer wasn't the worst either. Neither of both were 'Ericsson' or 'Palmer' cr*p, but in that Ferrari, well, they were exactly that somehow.

So agreed, wait and see but i do wonder whether NOT stepping in in Austin is the wisest decision for his 'development' path. Then again, his F1 experience now might do him a lot of good for the SuperFormula.
Not all the drivers can deliver some great performances from the very first races, only a very few ones have done it in fact. Gasly was close Sainz in the first qualy and not so far in the second. His race pace hasn´t been that bad in two races where TR hasn´t worked well at all. Its much easier if you begin your F1 career with a top team and a great car. I think he has done a decent job so far so it would be fair to give him more time. Now it will be interesting to see how he performs in comparison to Daniil( I guess he will be back in Austin).

Phil

I really hope they put in Buemi for that one race in Austin.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

f1316

Vasconia wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:48
Manoah2u wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Not all the drivers can deliver some great performances from the very first races, only a very few ones have done it in fact. Gasly was close Sainz in the first qualy and not so far in the second. His race pace hasn´t been that bad in two races where TR hasn´t worked well at all. Its much easier if you begin your F1 career with a top team and a great car. I think he has done a decent job so far so it would be fair to give him more time. Now it will be interesting to see how he performs in comparison to Daniil( I guess he will be back in Austin).
We lost the benchmark for Gasly’s race performance when Sainz span but factually he did beat Sainz and didn’t make the kind of first lap spin you’d expect more from the rookie than the guy moving onwards and upwards.

Gasly’s quali performance vs Sainz was pretty darn strong in his first race, I thought, so I think there’s clear promise, and he’s been very good in super formula.

It’s actually a much more telling and relevant test to have him up against Kvyatt though - anything he did against Sainz could be pretty much written off by “well, Sainz is pretty good” whereas now he has to show he’s a better option than Kyvatt for the future. Daniil is actually pretty quick in quali - close to Sainz who, lest we forget, beat max in their only full year quali battle - so wouldn’t be surprised if he’s consistently ahead in quali for the rest of the year, but his race craft is fairly patchy (at best) so if Gasly can show himself to be a steadier hand at the wheel that should put the final nail in the Russian’s coffin.

Raleigh

Manoah2u wrote:
Fisichella went directly from a 2nd place finish at Force India to trailing round outside the points in the Ferrari, the Ferrari was fast but had a very narrow performance window.

I don't think that's the case with Gasly though, he's been very close to Sainz in performance so it seems to be general lack of performance from the car in these last few races.

HPD

It's a shame that Gasly misses the Super Formula Championship. :(

Edit: According to AMUS, Gasly will run the Super Formula at the request of Honda.
Toro Rosso is looking for drivers.

Fulcrum

If true, it would be fun if Kubica could snag this one-off drive. Highly unlikely though. I'd imagine a Red Bull or Honda affiliated driver would be first in line for the opportunity.

I wonder if someone from a Honda-powered IndyCar might be an option, considering the race is in the States? Takuma Sato, Alexander Rossi, Max Chilton, Sebastian Bourdais, and Esteban Gutierrez have all driven in F1 before.

My personal favourite - but definitely not likely- would be Scott Dixon.

godlameroso

After watching the race I take it back. He's quite decent and should be fine along Kvyat. I wonder if they'll be behind Sauber next year.
Saishū kōnā

Singabule

I hope it is Rossi for austin, as honda and America always made a good vibe. I vote gasly to race at final race super formula, and if he win, he May brought huge honda fan to support STR. Plus, become super formula champion is a great achievement, especially when you are not a japanese. For Rossi, i think his achievement in indycar is very good, yet F1 is from another galaxy and never turn down if there is Any opportunity to drive it again