2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Celm

Re: 2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Hello,
This is my first post, hopefully it won't be my last.
I have a question, it might be off topic, and pardon my ignorance, it does concern the Force India F1 Team.
I do not know where to post this question, and do not know if this question has been discussed before. I am not used to browsing on Forums :)
Could someone, anyone, please bring me some insight to why Force India, powered by Mercedes, just like Williams, do not illustrate or show in any way or form the Mercedes Logo anywhere; whether it be on their website, their team outfits, the drivers outfits, the VJM10 Mercedes F1 car, the F1 garage during a grand prix, literally nowhere, yet everyone knows this team are powered by a Mercedes engine.
Is there a specific reason for this?
Thanks,
Celm

Jolle

Celm wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 10:38
Hello,
I have a question, it might be off topic, and pardon my ignorance, it does concern the Force India F1 Team.
I do not know where to post this question, and do not know if this question has been discussed before. I am not used to browsing on Forums :)
Could someone, anyone, please bring me some insight to why Force India, powered by Mercedes, just like Williams, do not illustrate or show in any way or form the Mercedes Logo anywhere; whether it be on their website, their team outfits, the drivers outfits, the VJM10 Mercedes F1 car, the F1 garage during a grand prix, literally nowhere, yet everyone knows this team are powered by a Mercedes engine.
Thanks,
Celm
Hi! welcome!

Good question and it's actually quite simple. Mercedes doesn't pay for it.
Force India rents a PU and gearbox from Mercedes, pay good money for it. Good chance they get a bit of discount for a nice clause in Ocon's contract but an extra discount for a "powered by Mercedes-Benz" isn't... so, no stickers.

Before Williams was Mercedes' best buddy (trough Wolff's involvement in both companies) it was FI. First as a technical partner trough McLaren-Mercedes and then, after Mercedes sold back their McLaren shares, trough Mercedes directly. Somehow they lost this privilege.

If you want something on a car in F1, you have to pay for it, even when you're Mercedes.

Godius

Celm wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 10:38
Hello,
Thanks,
Celm
Why put the Mercedes brand on the chassis for free when you could use that advertising space for sponsors that bring in actual money? Force India pays full price for the Mercedes power unit and has no commercial deal like Toto Wolff made for Williams when he still was a major Williams shareholder.

NAPI10

This allow drivers to race strategy has cost FI possible race win or even 1& 2 in race :oops: :oops: :oops:

Samraj_official

NAPI10 wrote:This allow drivers to race strategy has cost FI possible race win or even 1& 2 in race :oops: :oops: :oops:
Victory thrown out, extremely lousy move by ocon,they need to think about the team than themselves,maybe FI need to think about team orders once again..or starting from next race....today was an easy 1-2 if this accident didn't happen

vas_04614

Samraj_official wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 17:38
NAPI10 wrote:This allow drivers to race strategy has cost FI possible race win or even 1& 2 in race :oops: :oops: :oops:
Victory thrown out, extremely lousy move by ocon,they need to think about the team than themselves,maybe FI need to think about team orders once again..or starting from next race....today was an easy 1-2 if this accident didn't happen
Not 1-2, because HAM lost race due to Head rest loose AFTER RED Flag. Hadn't FI had their incident RED flag may or may not have happened. But p2/3 for sure.

NAPI10

It’s so painful to watch losing such an amazing opportunity.
FI is no Ferrari or Merc to get such opportunities every race but when it comes please ask ur drivers to be extra extra cautious while engaging ur team-mate. Both drivers are crazily motivated to impress top teams and won’t care a lot for FI goals. FI leadership should put foot down and clamp down this craziness. [-o< [-o< [-o<

iotar__

- Serves them right for molly-coddling Ocon in Canada.

- Perez was third while he was waiting for team orders ;-) at six/seventh place. This is a difference between theoretical world of radio messages and reality. Ocon is another case of believing his own hype before showing anything on track.

- I wonder what Toto Wolff will say about their protegee wasting Force India a likely win. My guess is he doesn't give a damn, so it's all on team's driver management and choices. No sympathy.

Manjhi

All this "could have been P1 & P2" is pathetic, SFI never had that pace. P3 & P4 was realistic, but that was only bcoz of incidents at the start. So the whole race was full of incidents.

As far as that specific incident is concerned, it was purely racing, Checo didn't get better start after SC and paid the price, Ocon was doing what the team said. There was no enough space available for both the driver and they collided. Lets focus on Austrian GP.

Amazing job from SFI as team by getting both the driver ready for another stint and amazing drive by Ocon by scoring 8 valuable points. Checo was also looking very good with pace but was unlucky today.

I enjoyed the race, and boy ohh boy !!! Stroll has just turned into talk of the town within 2 weeks.

Schuttelberg

Formula 1 fans!

When a team gives team orders, they accuse the team of fixing results and depriving the fans of 'Racing.'
When a team allows it's driver's to race, they're dumb!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Samraj_official

Manjhi wrote:All this "could have been P1 & P2" is pathetic, SFI never had that pace. P3 & P4 was realistic, but that was only bcoz of incidents at the start. So the whole race was full of incidents.

As far as that specific incident is concerned, it was purely racing, Checo didn't get better start after SC and paid the price, Ocon was doing what the team said. There was no enough space available for both the driver and they collided. Lets focus on Austrian GP.

Amazing job from SFI as team by getting both the driver ready for another stint and amazing drive by Ocon by scoring 8 valuable points. Checo was also looking very good with pace but was unlucky today.

I enjoyed the race, and boy ohh boy !!! Stroll has just turned into talk of the town within 2 weeks.
It's good that you are optimistic despite massive blunder of those two drivers, but if these two guys don't continue to race professionally on track,then we can see either Perez or ocon out of FI at the end of 2017

FI have always been master opportunists,but they are starting to throw it out of the window with this driver pairing.

marmer

Ocon had the problem of going behind Perez into that corner after Perez slow exit would have cost him even more if he had tucked in behind not sure if car behind was close enough but at the madness of the weekend you could understand him being jumpy

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u

Really impressed with Force India's recent outings, sad that they had both luck and some bad driver judgement that undermines this.

But Ocon and Perez were on another level in Baku, and i must say, also in Canada. It was a team error not to pit either of them before which would have given them a podium guaranteed,
and that Perez decided not to move over for Ocon to do some good, but apart from that, magnificient stuff.

Ocon unfortunately hitting the kerbs and then plummeting into Perez was unfortunate. Perhaps if Ocon had tried a bit more to steer into the left the damage would have been less, but what an absolute steller performance. So sad not to see Ocon on the Podium there. Really loving this team, and i must say, i've come to like the pastel pink livery, imagine that.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TAG

Force India is punching above their weight and I'm loving it. The problem that's come with this continuation of them building on their success from last year is that they really are not accustomed to fighting at the sharp end of the grid and have no adequate leadership or experience to take charge of their current driver situation. Both Perez in Canada and Ocon yesterday in Baku have netted them a loss of quite a few always valuable points in the WCC.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

skoop

According to AMuS they'll change the name for the upcoming season to "Force 1"
(http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 93071.html)