2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Im struggling to believe that, so a 94 car, with a screaming V10 and more downforce was 5 seconds a lap slower than last years cars. Id also guess that the Qualy Tyre's in 94 were better than todays race tyres. So I'm just struggling to believe the cars had more downforce back then.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

FW17

It was the peak downforce that would have been higher. Also think it is more to do with rear downforce than front

Cars have improved a lot on the mechanical front which contributes more to laptime, and in keeping the aero of the car in a wider working range.

The 1994 config was applicable only for 4 races or so before the sweeping changes were made. The plank was introduced, the engines could not have an airbox, the diffuser was made smaller except for the center where it remained 350mm.

cramr

FW17 wrote:It was the peak downforce that would have been higher. Also think it is more to do with rear downforce than front

Cars have improved a lot on the mechanical front which contributes more to laptime, and in keeping the aero of the car in a wider working range.

The 1994 config was applicable only for 4 races or so before the sweeping changes were made. The plank was introduced, the engines could not have an airbox, the diffuser was made smaller except for the center where it remained 350mm.
I think I agree with you, probably in a given condition the peak was higher but I'm pretty sure the aerodynamic (and mechanical) stability of those cars was not even close to the currents cars (you just need to see the OB cameras and how much they had to fight with the wheel).

So yes, maybe more downforce but in straigt line, which also means more drag, and not in the corners or in yaw conditions when you really need it

WaikeCU

There's something going on with Wehrlein at the moment, because he has suffered some discomfort in the neck area after his RoC accident. So there are rumours that he's not fit enough at the moment to get in the car for Winter testing. Sauber's twitter page is saying that he's still undergoing medical tests. Further news should follow in the coming days/weeks.
https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status ... 4021047305 https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status ... 1872592900

Gridlock

It is a problem that now the drivers need necks like Thor, as soon as they get a neck injury they're basically incapable of cornering.

kptaylor

So is there an official reserve/backup driver named at Sauber? Wonder what that would mean if he's out longer than testing...

Sniffit

kptaylor wrote:So is there an official reserve/backup driver named at Sauber? Wonder what that would mean if he's out longer than testing...
There is none at the moment, but it shouldn't be impossible to find one at short notice.
as for winter testing maybe Rosenqvist or Roberto Mehri? Both have the Mercedes connection.

CmdrVOODOO

Out of all teams, how did Sauber find themselves in a position where they've only signed 2 drivers?

skoop

CmdrVOODOO wrote:Out of all teams, how did Sauber find themselves in a position where they've only signed 2 drivers?
This really made me laugh :D =D>

Stalker1

FW17 wrote:It was the peak downforce that would have been higher. Also think it is more to do with rear downforce than front

I am actually complete noob in the autosport and automotive industry, so could you expand upon on the statement "Cars have improved a lot on the mechanical front"? Are the chassis stiffer and/or are the suspension systems more advanced so they could, for example, enable more precise control over the ride height?

I have recently read about the different "active suspension" systems which were developed in the 80-s and finally mastered by Williams in 1991 until the ban in 1993 after season ending. One of the statements where that these computer-controlled systems managed to control the ride height through all circuit under different speeds and loads.

Stalker1

nokivasara wrote: Well, Maldonado won a race, as did Olivier Panis among others :)
I don't think it's impossible for Marcus to win a race, given the opportunity, as Kalterborn said in the article.
For me, the problem with Ericsson is that he has not really improved during his four years in F1. Panis, if I remember correctly, were considered a paydriver, but he improved his race craft over time and from time to time managed to achieve even some podiums in a mediocore car.
Last edited by Stalker1 on 08 Feb 2017, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Stalker1

I wonder, what Nasr is up to?

WaikeCU

Stalker1 wrote:I wonder, what Nasr is up to?
Probably either chilling at the beach or trying to make a career in the States with Indycar?

Stalker1

Thank you! I thought maybe he got somekind of deal with Williams or Force India (3-rd driver, for example).

Vasconia

Stalker1 wrote:
nokivasara wrote: Well, Maldonado won a race, as did Olivier Panis among others :)
I don't think it's impossible for Marcus to win a race, given the opportunity, as Kalterborn said in the article.
For me, the problem with Ericsson is that he has not really improved during his four years in F1. Panis, if I remember correctly, were considered a paydriver, but he improved his race craft over time and from time to time managed to achieve even some podiums in a mediocore car.
He is far from being a great driver but I think he has actually improved during his 3 years in F1. Last season was decent taking into account how bad the car was.