2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GTO99

Re: 2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

I had the same idea, however think that a chrome silver would have made it pop. You would really notice that car esp. in sunlight or at night with lights.

Predator

Agreed. That was my original thought too (or shadow chrome) but they were very quick edits. If I have some spare time I'll revisit and bling it up.

Sniffit

RicME85 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 04:16
Wehrlein replaced by Giovinazzi for Australian Grand Prix
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wehr ... ix-885825/
Pretty strange to be honest. Has a driver ever thrown in the hat after half the race weekend due to "poor preparation"? Also, if he's not in good enough shape now, how can he expect to be in two weeks? Will Sauber be forced to waste another Friday on him trying to figure things out?

RicME85

It's proper weird. As mentioned by a few people in the media, he did more laps during the second week of testing at a circuit with higher G loads so surely he should of known before deciding after FP2. Pascal has been praised for giving up his seat for the rest of the weekend, surely he should be bollocked for wasting a Friday that Giovinazzi could of used?

sauberfan

There are mounting reports that Sauber will use Honda engines in 2018 http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autos ... nvolvement

I was just wondering why Sauber is doing this? At the moment is seems quite a big risk when looking at the situation at Mclaren. Even if Sauber gets the engines very cheap, if they are not competitive in respect with Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault, they will be stuck at the end of the field for quite a while.

Gerhardsa

sauberfan wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 10:40
There are mounting reports that Sauber will use Honda engines in 2018 http://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autos ... nvolvement

I was just wondering why Sauber is doing this? At the moment is seems quite a big risk when looking at the situation at Mclaren. Even if Sauber gets the engines very cheap, if they are not competitive in respect with Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault, they will be stuck at the end of the field for quite a while.
I Think its all about the money for Sauber at this stage.
how much will the engines cost? Will it cost them anything at all? Will Honda make the same type investment as McLaren, if McLaren decides to move to another supplier?

jagunx51

sauberfan wrote:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/139206-kal ... nda-switch

" Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber is not open to a potential switch to Honda power this season amid rumors McLaren could drop the Japanese manufacturer."
............!!!!

sauberfan

jagunx51 wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 11:34
sauberfan wrote:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/139206-kal ... nda-switch

" Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber is not open to a potential switch to Honda power this season amid rumors McLaren could drop the Japanese manufacturer."

Yeah. The articles are talking about two different things, though. The Kaltenborn interview is mainly about the rumours after which Mclaren would switch within this season to Mercedes engines and Sauber to Honda engines.
The other article is about a engine deal between Sauber & Honda for 2018 onwards...

Enstone

My scenario according to rumors and so on...

2018 season :

1st scenario
McLaren > switch to the Mercs PU
Sauber > Honda is making the same deal as previously with McLaren (engines for "free" + extra-money to put their name on the car + they help to pay one driver's salary and probably put a Japanese driver in the 2nd car).

Sounds interesting IMO for them, all the money they gonna save they will put it into R&D and chassis/aero ressources, they will focus on this part and will have the opportunity to make something great, like they've done back again with BMW.
In other hands they don't know if they will have a strong, reliable and competitive engine.

2nd scenario
McLaren > keep Honda's engines.
Sauber > switch to Honda, who will give them money and discount for the engines.
The way Monisha is speaking (she don't denied for 2018, that's obvious they will not switch the engine this year...), let me think that this deal is gonna be revealed sooner or later, but it will happend and explains also why they've choose a 2016 Ferrari PU !

I like both of those scenarios, so let's wait'n'see now :D

kptaylor

I thought the Wehrlein deal was to get Merc engines for a reduced cost in 2018. What does this latest news mean for him?

Santozini

kptaylor wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 16:54
I thought the Wehrlein deal was to get Merc engines for a reduced cost in 2018. What does this latest news mean for him?
Most likely the end of his F1 career

santos

Enstone wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 16:30

2018 season :

1st scenario
Sauber > Honda is making the same deal as previously with McLaren (engines for "free" + extra-money to put their name on the car + they help to pay one driver's salary and probably put a Japanese driver in the 2nd car).

Sounds interesting IMO for them, all the money they gonna save they will put it into R&D and chassis/aero ressources, they will focus on this part and will have the opportunity to make something great, like they've done back again with BMW.
In other hands they don't know if they will have a strong, reliable and competitive engine.

2nd scenario
Sauber > switch to Honda, who will give them money and discount for the engines.
The way Monisha is speaking (she don't denied for 2018, that's obvious they will not switch the engine this year...), let me think that this deal is gonna be revealed sooner or later, but it will happend and explains also why they've choose a 2016 Ferrari PU !

Of course she didn't denied. She doesn't have a deal already done for 2018. And she can't shut the door to Honda.
Without a long term deal with Ferrari, and without Money, i think that keeping the engine from last year was the best solution. Or maybe the only one that Ferrari was in the will to give. If Sauber is about to change the suplier, i don't think Ferrari would give them the engine from this year.

Enstone

santos wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 17:15
Enstone wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 16:30

2018 season :

1st scenario

2nd scenario

Of course she didn't denied. She doesn't have a deal already done for 2018. And she can't shut the door to Honda.
Without a long term deal with Ferrari, and without Money, i think that keeping the engine from last year was the best solution. Or maybe the only one that Ferrari was in the will to give. If Sauber is about to change the suplier, i don't think Ferrari would give them the engine from this year.
We don't know the conditions of the deal with Honda, but what we know is that Monisha don't want to shut the door to anyone... the fact is that one year due to this, they had 4 drivers for only 2 seats :mrgreen:

Those rumors are really strong, she don't denied and it will be a great deal if they have financial support + discount on the engines, for me it's just a matter of time before the annoucement.

According to this Japanese article Honda wants to be Sauber's engine supplier and they also wants to set up their own F1 team... and buying Force India to do so : http://f1express.cnc.ne.jp/f1/index.php ... _id=287884

bblundell72

RicME85 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 04:16
Wehrlein replaced by Giovinazzi for Australian Grand Prix
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wehr ... ix-885825/
Wehrlein out for China as well.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... grand-prix