2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KeiKo403

Re: 2017 Manor F1 Team - Mercedes

These teams have no serious chance without massive companies. Who will now want to try and save this team. At least last time round there was the promise from Bernie that that years prize money would still be paid out. New owners have got what they can out of it with the minimum amount of effort. Now they've left a wreck of a business and F1 team again. I doubt anyone will try with this team now.

We need a BMW, Jaguar or Toyota to join the sport. Trouble is that Formula E is much more relevant, cheaper and accessible to fans and manufacturers.

Gridlock

Is it the company that owns the F1 entry that has entered Administration?

If so, doesn't that kick off all sorts of things with FOM/FIA? Like, the company is now valueless.

FW17

Sensible thing would be for Haas to buy the entry so that he gets $40 million rather than nothing

Shakeman

FW17 wrote:Sensible thing would be for Haas to buy the entry so that he gets $40 million rather than nothing
Hasn't Haas already got enough to be getting on with? He lives in the real world not play fantasy F1 picking up teams like Panini stickers after all..

Shakeman

KeiKo403 wrote:
We need a BMW, Jaguar or Toyota to join the sport. Trouble is that Formula E is much more relevant, cheaper and accessible to fans and manufacturers.
Too true, Formula E will end up being F1 in most of our lifetimes that's how relevant it is to car manufacturers. The Hybrid era is just a stepping stone.

FW17

Shakeman wrote:
FW17 wrote:Sensible thing would be for Haas to buy the entry so that he gets $40 million rather than nothing
Hasn't Haas already got enough to be getting on with? He lives in the real world not play fantasy F1 picking up teams like Panini stickers after all..

You need to understand Haas regrets not buying Manor 2 years back

Fact is he has no income from FOM for 2017 and 2018, the only way he can get 10th place price fund for 2017 is buying Manor if Administrators agree to it.

He could offer to fly the engineering team out to Concord NC which will work well for him.

If he has a great season in 2017 like in 2016 he is in for a much larger payday in 2018.

Haas is not going to get a second chase like this one

Pierce89

FW17 wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

You need to understand Haas regrets not buying Manor 2 years back

Fact is he has no income from FOM for 2017 and 2018, the only way he can get 10th place price fund for 2017 is buying Manor if Administrators agree to it.

He could offer to fly the engineering team out to Concord NC which will work well for him.

If he has a great season in 2017 like in 2016 he is in for a much larger payday in 2018.

Haas is not going to get a second chase like this one
Wow! Haas regrets not buying Manor? Said who? Certainly not the man himself. I think he much prefers the route he took. Manor have very little assets worth his time. Besides I'm sure Stephen Fitzpatrick price is somewhere far enough above 40 mil that Haas flat out has zero interest. Besides another top 10 finish this season means he will have income in 2018. You only have to get top ten 2 out of 3 years, so 2 top 10's in a row gets money.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 06 Jan 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Facts Only

I'm not sure what you are on about. Gene said it would (past tense) have been easier to buy an existing team than to start from scratch. He has now done the hard work of starting from scratch so why on earth would he want to buy a team now? Particularly when that team are significantly further back down the grid than his own.

How would flying a load of engineers (who probably wouldn't want to go to the US anyway) out to his base work well for him? Apart from annoying loads of people who already work their and costing a fortune what good would it do?

I bet anyone at Manor who had any interest in moving to the US was on the phone to HAAS long ago.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Raleigh

HAAS if I remember was looking at Lotus not Manor, I'm not sure why he'd buy the team now.

Manoah2u

HAAS isn't stupid. If you look at this only with eyes as grabbing 40 million, then you have no idea how this works.
the costs involved that come afterwards of buying and whilst buying the outfit go straight throuhg the sewers and won't compensate for that.

if it was that simple, ANYBODY would buy that outfit for crying out loud.

no, i'm sad to say, sauber killed manor by snatching that brazil spot. it's that unfair.
my disgust for kaltenborn grows even further. sure, sauber was there when manor wasn't in brazil, but manor has done
supremely much better throughout the entire year EXCEPT for exactly that gp, and it completely gutted them.

so sad to see the absolute favourite underdog end up like that, especially as it seemed like they were picking themselves up again.

what a waste.

i think it was plain to see that manor was over and done when Wehrlein signed with Sauber. why on earth would they when manor would still be around. additionally, even if sauber was the prefered choise, it means that with pascal gone, aswell as ocon, 2 mercedes drivers, you can guarantee the engine discount is out of the window too.

that means the cost goes up by several tens of millions next year.
Haryanto's sponsor also stepped away from him so there's really less and less to offer manor, and less for manor to provide.

it's over. there's no more way around it. several years of keeping it up, and Sauber just steps on them pushing them below the mudline. dead and gone.

Honda doesn't have engines to provide i believe, unless it would be 2016-spec possibly, but would they want to? same goes for Renault and Ferrari, and then what price is slammed on that? And what paydriver could they come up with to bring the money they need? BdB is out, they sponsored lame*ss sauber but didnt get the results they wanted so backed out, theres no way Manor in 2017 will shape up better. Nasr won't go to Williams so won't see BdB there either, i think, and again, his only 'gain' was the BdB sponsorship, which is not available for non-performing teams. end of deal.

what's left? Sergey Sirotkin and Guiterrez would be the only ones left to perhaps bring enough money but then still, even IF they each would bring 20 million (which i can't imagine), then it would only bring 40 million total, then the 40 million prize money [which probably is gone already in a bottomless pit], making 80 million, and then i don't see manor having enough worthwile sponsors to get them up to a 100 million, which they would need to pay for tires, engine, participation, personel salary, and the actual car, development, etc.

dead and gone.

again!

well, perhaps they surprise yet again and are on the strip like they managed this AND last year, SOMEHOW.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 06 Jan 2017, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Sebastian Kettle wrote:That is a strong looking set of technical directors, I hope they can produce a strong midfield car. I also read via Motorsport.it that Giovanni Banzola has joined the team from Mclaren.
Shame if these guys go to waste. It would a while before they can be snatched up off the streets.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

KeiKo403

Soooooo just putting this out there. If there's talk of Ron Dennis buying Manor, not sure if that's actual rumours or just F1T rumours, but if it is genuine rumours then what's the chances that he could run a Honda works team? He did after all manage to talk them back into F1 and at the moment Honda are ploughing millions into the engine and they aren't exactly being spoken of kindly....."GP2 engine, GP2 ENGINE!!"

We saw Renault have the same issue so they brought in fully.

Anyone see this happening at all? Or would like to see it?