Pit wall team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
graysmith

Pit wall team

Why do the teams set up on the pit wall. They cannot see any of the track and only see a car when in the pits. Why not just do it from the garage as they do during practise.

zac510

Re: Pit wall team

I've been wondering this for years myself. I presume it's mostly for vanity these days because for the reasons you noted, there's seemingly no other advantage. Perhaps weather plays some part, but then the pit straight is only a tiny part of the circuit so you still need some spotters around the back.

Admittedly the garage space is small at some circuits too.

Tim.Wright

I'm guessing it's a mandate from FOM for television purposes. I know of other racing series that do the same.
Not the engineer at Force India

Godius

I don't know the exact reason either but when the signals were analogue, a place outside the pit box would have had better reception. But nowadays nearly all signals are digital, so I guess there is little need for a pit wall for that purpose.

marmer

Is it not easy for the guy with the number board to get live times if he is next to both the track and team telemetry and at the start of the race when teams have to get back its not as far to go

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk