2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Team: Scuderia Toro Rosso
Base: Faenza, Italy
Team principal: Franz Tost
Technical director(s): James Key

Race drivers:
10 Image Pierre Gasly
28 Image Brendon Hartley

Test drivers : ?????

Chassis: STR13
Engine: Honda V6 Turbo

2017 position: 7th (53 pts)

ImageImage
ImageImage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to discuss the 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 TEAM
Last edited by Manoah2u on 28 Nov 2017, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

For all to know, upon request from the mods, i'll be repeating my annual team thread postfest, i have gotten back to work since a about 1,5 month after long sickness leave, i will make my effort to have all teams up and running this week.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

turbof1

Stickied
#AeroFrodo

HPD

In 2018 I expect the name of Honda here:
8)

Vasconia

Initially I dont have great expectations with this line-up, at least in comparison to the Sainz-Kvyat line up.

2017´s chasis was underwhelming so I expect an important improvement because this team surely knows how to build good cars.

GhostF1

I'm hoping the healthy budget jolt they get by saving money on the engine side (thanks to free engines) will help them get a little more competitive

Manoah2u

I'm saddened to say that with their driver line-up, that will be going down the drain due to lack of exciting, talented drivers. Sure, they're capable, but that's where it rather stops.
Guys like Sainz, Lando Norris, Charles LeClerc, etc etc not looking into whether they're from the RB pool ,are what this team needs.

As for that budget thing anyway ;

The deal with Honda was made rather late in the year. I'm not sure whether it wasn't meant to happen anyway, but that's speculation. Reason says that the engine signing happened so late in the year that it will have little effect on the initial season start car.

Will it be an entirely different chassis? Don't know. Either way, the chassis must be altered so to fit the honda engine, which is smaller by the way it sounds as Mclaren had a super tight package AND now Renault is going there they mentioned the engine cover needs changing (logical, but it sounds like it's less tightly packed).

They have a huge discount on engines sure, but that doesn't do much for 2018 early anyway as the 2018 contender has already been designed and decided, whether it be a new model or an evolution.

That same goes for the - speculative - 300 million budget moving from Mclaren to Toro Rosso. It remains to be seen if Honda will invest 300 million another year into an f1 team, especailly - with all do respect - toro rosso. If they're crazy enough to do it, then those 300 million will come in handy BUT it will have zero impact on the toro rosso initial car. there MIGHT be a B-spec sooner or later, i don't think they can magically make a car happen over winter since the announcement.

That means that for good or glory, 2019 will see a benefit for Toro Rosso, BUT to be honest, if the Honda engine DOES work well, then i'm 100% sure that'll go to RedBull mothership team, so it's sad to say it but i don't think Toro Rosso is going to benefit humongeously on the Honda signing. Not in 300 million big numbers catapulting them into Force India field territory despite having a much bigger budget.

godlameroso

The money they were giving McLaren is going right into their engine program.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

GhostF1 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:26
I'm hoping the healthy budget jolt they get by saving money on the engine side (thanks to free engines) will help them get a little more competitive
First of all, as Honda fan, I wish this partnership works well and both do well next year. Especially I expect a good Pu from honda.
In terms of drivers, I think both will be better and more suited to F1 but if not you know they can be changed in season as they start driving in season.
Engine side they are not only get benefit of free engine but in the same time being works team

fabian77

etusch wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 14:25
GhostF1 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:26
First of all, as Honda fan, I wish this partnership works well and both do well next year. Especially I expect a good Pu from honda.
In terms of drivers, I think both will be better and more suited to F1 but if not you know they can be changed in season as they start driving in season.
Engine side they are not only get benefit of free engine but in the same time being works team
Me too, I personally, want Honda to build a much better PU and that Toro Rosso beat Mclaren next year

aran.vtec

being a honda supporter i really want this team to do well , but i feel they are really going to battle with the newbie driver line up , kinda like 2 x Strolls at williams Q3 car thats battles to get out of q1

HondaRaceReplica

I say we give these new boys a chance..They both have done reasonably well in the other series they’ve competed in and have shown to be true racers......Drivers have to be developed.....not everyone is a Verstappen or Sainz....even Button needed a lot of time, a great car and a lot of luck to win his championship so these boys have next year to prove themselves....

HPD

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:34
They have a huge discount on engines sure, but that doesn't do much for 2018 early anyway as the 2018 contender has already been designed and decided, whether it be a new model or an evolution.
This is true. But with a better budget, they can evolve in the season.
TR does not evolve as much throughout the season, as do Mclaren, Red Bull, until FI. So I expect a strong response from the TR side.
I think that TR will benefit from the sponsorship that Honda will pay. They can pay to have the Honda name on the rear wing, etc.

dren

I expect TR to develop a bit more through the season if Honda is providing some funding. They seem to start okay and fall a bit back as the year progresses. I like the TD of TR, so the car should be decent. Honda should produce a better, more reliable PU. If they get to Renault levels, we should be happy. The driver line-up leaves a lot to be desired. It was hard to judge the two when they were starting at the rear at the last few races. I know a lot of us would love to see TR beat Mclaren, but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. Better than 9th position in the constructors should be obtainable, though. I see many battles with Williams and Haas at the lower back end of the midfield.

And to add...the TR was arguably the best looking car on the grid, I hope that continues with Honda next year!
Honda!

etusch

dren wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 17:22
I expect TR to develop a bit more through the season if Honda is providing some funding. They seem to start okay and fall a bit back as the year progresses. I like the TD of TR, so the car should be decent. Honda should produce a better, more reliable PU. If they get to Renault levels, we should be happy. The driver line-up leaves a lot to be desired. It was hard to judge the two when they were starting at the rear at the last few races. I know a lot of us would love to see TR beat Mclaren, but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. Better than 9th position in the constructors should be obtainable, though. I see many battles with Williams and Haas at the lower back end of the midfield.

And to add...the TR was arguably the best looking car on the grid, I hope that continues with Honda next year!
william is bad at development. They will fall a bit more back. I don't know how haas will come. I think their rival will be Force İndia next season. Ferrari/Redbul, Mercedes, Mclaren/Renault, Force İndia/Toro Rosso my prediction.