F1 seating position drawings or photos needed please

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Robert_DD

F1 seating position drawings or photos needed please

Hello All,

I have been sim racing for several years now and just bought a ton of wood to mock up a F1 cockpit. I am having a had time finding drawings or measurements of inside the cockpit. Of course it varies from team to team and year to year, but any drawings or photos appreciated.

I am most concerned with the height of the feet in relation to the hips and the angle of the seat back and seat bottom beneath the thighs.

Thank you,
Robert

scarbs

Re: F1 seating position drawings or photos needed please

Most of the cockpit dimensions are dictated by the FIA, these are drawn out on the FIA website in the technical regulations. I have a RBR RB1 seat, IIRC the knees (which are at the end of the seat at the dash bulkhead) are some 20cm above the floor. With 2011 high noses I imagine the feet are even higher (30cm?), I'm sure this can be accurately determined with a 'nose off' picture.
On google you can find: some cutaway pictures of Heikki in the Lotus ealrier this year showing the position and also some CAD pictures of Trulli seated in the Toyota on the Catia website.
I have some seat and steering wheel drawings on my blog (scarbsf1.wordpress.com)

Scarbs

Robert_DD

scarbs wrote:Most of the cockpit dimensions are dictated by the FIA, these are drawn out on the FIA website in the technical regulations. I have a RBR RB1 seat, IIRC the knees (which are at the end of the seat at the dash bulkhead) are some 20cm above the floor. With 2011 high noses I imagine the feet are even higher (30cm?), I'm sure this can be accurately determined with a 'nose off' picture.
On google you can find: some cutaway pictures of Heikki in the Lotus ealrier this year showing the position and also some CAD pictures of Trulli seated in the Toyota on the Catia website.
I have some seat and steering wheel drawings on my blog (scarbsf1.wordpress.com)

Scarbs
Thank you very much Scarbs. Drawing 4 of the F1 technical regulations on the FIA website helps a lot. The feet still seem high in relation to the hips. How accurate do you think that is? I have been unable to find the other items you mention, but I will keep looking.

Thank you!
Robert

Robert_DD

Are there any off the shelf seats that are close to a real F1 position? The closest I have found so far is the Tillett B4, but it still does not lay back far enough. A seat sure would make the build easier.

scarbs

I dont know of any seat you can buy that comes even close to an F1 position. There is an Adrian Sutil seat for sale on ebay. Will take some photos & dimensions of my seat for you.

strad

http://www.ridelust.com/f1-red-bull-coc ... -goodness/
Console games like Forza Motor Sports and Gran Turismo are usually about as close as the average person will ever get to being inside the cockpit of a real race car. While not the real thing, these games still have the ability to get our hearts racing and adrenaline up, because let’s face it, racing is racing. Using the standard hand held controller is great, but if you really want to get in the mood what you really need is the new “Red Bull X 2010 S Vettel” by Playseat. Ladies and gents, this sucker takes automotive gaming to a whole new level by immersing one in a seated environment that’s pretty damn close to the real thing. Based out of the Netherlands, Playseat has signed a licensing agreement with Red Bull Racing, which enabled them to build a racing cockpit that is as close to the real thing as your ever likely to see.
Last edited by strad on 21 Dec 2011, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Robert_DD

scarbs wrote:I dont know of any seat you can buy that comes even close to an F1 position. There is an Adrian Sutil seat for sale on ebay. Will take some photos & dimensions of my seat for you.

Awesome, thanks! I found this eat on Ebay as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-F1-Te ... 19cbff3282

The angle at the lower back seems to match the picture you posted. However compare the F1 Playseats angle at the same position, it is much steeper.

Thank you for the help! I will get there eventually. I ordered the Red Bull service manual today hoping it might have something...

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Bull-Racing-F ... 586&sr=8-1

Robert_DD

AWESOME!!! THANK YOU SPACER!

N12ck

How is it getting along now?
Budding F1 Engineer