Importance of speed at corner entry

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Marc.W

Re: Ferrari F2012

But if you can enter a corner faster and still put the power down early then you'll have a great car, the F2012 can't seem to get a quick entry or put the power down, so something is wrong

Nando

Marc.W wrote:But if you can enter a corner faster and still put the power down early then you'll have a great car, the F2012 can't seem to get a quick entry or put the power down, so something is wrong
The car seems to do quick entrys very good. It´s when he touches the gas pedal that the problem arises.

If you spin your tires you are going nowhere, this is where the seconds are to be found.

This is also in line with no EBD anymore. They simply haven´t recovered anywhere near the percentage of some of the other teams.

Acer ducts seems to be a big failure in terms of trying to blow the diffuser.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Joie de vivre

FakeAlonso wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GQwqv0E5Bs[/youtube]
how is that relevant?

Nando

Joie de vivre wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GQwqv0E5Bs[/youtube]
how is that relevant?
to quote myself,
Nando wrote:All i can see is aerodynamic imbalance.
way to little rear downforce, if they try to balance that out my creating less downforce at the front they will have an even slower car.

The goal for Ferrari is to find more downforce at the rear.

And judging from some pictures here it seems rear wing main plane is at it´s most aggressive angle judging by the holes.

So diffuser needs to create more downforce.

NathanOlder

I would say corner speed is more important that traction on the exit of a corner. If you can carry more speed through the corner, you will exit the corner faster regardless of the traction.
And if you suffer from understeer your corner speed will be slower, then you exit the corner slower, then your lap time will be slower.

Obviously im not a Formula one driver, but I'd say a car with Oversteer can do a faster lap, its just harder to keep it on the road. Understeer is predictable and wont cause you to spin out. but its slow!

Hope that makes sense
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nando

NathanOlder wrote:I would say corner speed is more important that traction on the exit of a corner. If you can carry more speed through the corner, you will exit the corner faster regardless of the traction.
And if you suffer from understeer your corner speed will be slower, then you exit the corner slower, then your lap time will be slower.

Obviously im not a Formula one driver, but I'd say a car with Oversteer can do a faster lap, its just harder to keep it on the road. Understeer is predictable and wont cause you to spin out. but its slow!

Hope that makes sense
It´s not really. It don´t matter how fast you are entry or mid-corner if you can´t even put the power down out of the corner.
Slow in, fast out.

If you can´t do fast out you are going nowhere.
It´s racing 101 really. The most basic form of racing you can learn.
NathanOlder wrote:but I'd say a car with Oversteer can do a faster lap, its just harder to keep it on the road. Understeer is predictable and wont cause you to spin out. but its slow!
Not exactly true. On Monaco for example, you want a car that when it lets go, it will oversteer.

This is to keep the car pointy.

With a really high speed track you want understeer, or close to it when the car let´s go because you don´t want opposite lock at 250km/h +

first you have to get of the gas, then you have to get the rear end back home then you can hit the throttle.

With understeer you can at the slightest hint of the car understeering let go of the throttle then get back on it again.

NathanOlder

Of course it matters how fast you are into and mid corner! thats what the Aero on an F1 car enables you to do! If you had no corner speed, lets say because you had lots of understeer you wouldnt win a race! Garenteed! F1 is all about going through corners fast yes? Not going down the straights fast. Corner speed is the most importand thing about F1.

If teams want faster cars, they dont go and redesign an engine to accelerate faster or have a higher top speed. they work on Aero so they can go through corners faster. Corner speed is EVERYTHING
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nando

NathanOlder wrote:Of course it matters how fast you are into and mid corner! thats what the Aero on an F1 car enables you to do! If you had no corner speed, lets say because you had lots of understeer you wouldnt win a race! Garenteed! F1 is all about going through corners fast yes? Not going down the straights fast. Corner speed is the most importand thing about F1.

If teams want faster cars, they dont go and redesign an engine to accelerate faster or have a higher top speed. they work on Aero so they can go through corners faster. Corner speed is EVERYTHING

It´s crystal clear you haven´t understood a single word i said.

To go fast around a track you need to get out of corners quickly.

If you can not do that, it does not matter how fast you enter a corner.

Pick up a Racing: Basics book and read for yourself if you don´t believe me.
I´m sure you will learn quite alot judging by the post above.

Nando

I will only say this and no more regarding basic racing knowledge.

It´s not how fast you get in to a corner but how fast you get out of the corner that is the most important thing.
Last edited by Nando on 17 Mar 2012, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

if you were just talking of defending track position that may have merits in certain situations. But when you're looking at getting a good laptime on a hot lap - No.

Why isn't every corner taken with a very late apex? Why do people bother with performing trail braking into a corner? Why do people bother braking very late? Because entry is also very important - and is very underrated by a LOT of people.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 17 Mar 2012, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:if you were just talking of defending track position that may have merits in certain situations. But when you're looking at getting a good laptime on a hot lap - No.
me?

I´m talking about pure hotlapping. Time is gained out of corners, all the way to the next braking zone.

Not into corners. As far as the absolute most important aspect of going fast around a lap.

beelsebob

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:if you were just talking of defending track position that may have merits in certain situations. But when you're looking at getting a good laptime on a hot lap - No.
me?

I´m talking about pure hotlapping. Time is gained out of corners, all the way to the next braking zone.

Not into corners. As far as the absolute most important aspect of going fast around a lap.
Time is gained into the corners, because if you're slow into it, you've lost time "in it" – in other words – all the way through the corner is important, including the turn in and the speed carried into it.

raymondu999

Importance of speed at corner entry

Nando you posted just as I edited my post - please read my second paragraph which I added since.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

eurocentric

NathanOlder wrote:Of course it matters how fast you are into and mid corner! thats what the Aero on an F1 car enables you to do! If you had no corner speed, lets say because you had lots of understeer you wouldnt win a race! Garenteed! F1 is all about going through corners fast yes? Not going down the straights fast. Corner speed is the most importand thing about F1.

I agree 100% when I used to go karting it wasn't the speed on the straights it was who could carry speed through the corners, if the kart was under steering you could say goodbye to staying on terms with the person in front.

Nando is just a ferrari fanboy who can't stand to see his team not doing well and coming up with anything to try and explain away their complete lack of form and speed.

It's the lack of use all year round of their own test track and unlimited budget methinks, and the brains of course.

Nando

beelsebob wrote:Time is gained into the corners, because if you're slow into it, you've lost time "in it" – in other words – all the way through the corner is important, including the turn in and the speed carried into it.
It is not the most important part of getting a fast lap.

Not even close.