Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
CMSMJ1

Re: Racing games

that used to happen on Netkar Namie too.. Kunos makes good racing sims. I reckon I'll have to give this a go.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

acosmichippo

In case anyone is interested, F1 2014 is on sale on steam now for $29.99 (40% off):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226580

Actually, pretty much all F1 games are discounted:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... 12&term=f1

SectorOne

Or don´t buy it, let Bernie and the crew realize there´s other companies that can do things better and they don´t have ironic company names.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mertol

Still way too high price. Disney would have created a better game probably.

acosmichippo

the older ones are only $5 or so. I got 2013 classic edition for $25 that has vintage cars as well.

mertol

All the sequels should have been just DLC to the original game. I wouldn't recommend spending more than 5 bucks for them.

MadMatt

For those who have Gran Turismo 6, they have now included an option to export your lap in Motec format. I know this is already available on PC in proper sim games, but this is new for PlayStation! :) Could be interesting.

mikeerfol

McLaren, iRacing to build virtual MP4/30

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/irac ... nda-mp4-30

mertol

Too bad it is so underpowered :( iracing curse strikes again... Or maybe that is the reason McLaren agreed to the deal in first place. Since they won't care about revealing info for their car anyway :D

MadMatt

I am playing to Assetto Corsa at the moment a bit, managed to get hold of a nice setup: G27 with the H-shifter, Corbeau seat, a buttkicker (it basically gets fixed under the seat and vibrates like a dualshock paddle but much stronger), and a 55" TV screen. I will post pictures next week of the setup!

Difficult to find free time to play, but whenever I can, it is really a great game, I recommend it (and not only because I am helping the staff to develop the game :P )!

You can really "feel" the cars. I mean every car has its own behavior, and some are harder to drive than others, you feel when the you are on the limit, when you are about to lose the car, and so on. Haven't had time to play with the car setup and see if it changes the car as it should, but the game is great.

mertol

Is the buttkicker any good? I heard you need a separate sound card to create meaninful output for it otherwise it vibrates to the low frequency sounds.

MadMatt

mertol wrote:Is the buttkicker any good? I heard you need a separate sound card to create meaninful output for it otherwise it vibrates to the low frequency sounds.
It does indeed vibrate to the low frequency sound, but isn't that the point of it? When you go over a curb you hear a low "brrrr" noise from the game (sorry for the imitation) which translates into a low frequency response from the butt-kicker. I think it is fairly accurate. The only downside at the moment is that my G27 shifter vibrates at very low frequency (the plastic of the shifter), so it is a bit annoying but I will try to fix this!

Another nice thing about that buttkicker is that you can mount it on your desk chair and listen to music, it does improve the musical experience! I have got a 2.1 sound system with a quite large subwoofer but the buttkicker adds something.

I would maybe not recommend it if you have to buy it new, but if you can get it second hand at a nice price it is a good addition!

In Assetto Corsa, one problem is that when you hit something it does that high pitching noise which doesn't sound right, and because of this you don't get vibration from the buttkicker. For example in Gran Turismo when you hit a wall the paddle vibrates because you get a low frequency noise, but not in Assetto Corsa. Maybe they will change this, that would be nice to actually feel a hit when you hit a wall or an opponent.

alexx_88

Not a racing game, but hopefully something that would be appreciated by the techies on the forum: http://store.steampowered.com/app/293760/ . :)

mertol

It depends on the curb. The ones on zolder for example make quite high pitched noise others are quiet. It should be really hooked to the physics and not the sound.

MadMatt

mertol wrote:It depends on the curb. The ones on zolder for example make quite high pitched noise others are quiet. It should be really hooked to the physics and not the sound.
I doubt there are so many people having that system to require the developers to implement this I'm afraid.