MSc Racing Engine Design Oxford Brookes

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
turboedcc

MSc Racing Engine Design Oxford Brookes

Hi all, first post here, Following the forum for a few years or so now since starting in Uni. As the title suggests I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the Masters in Oxford Brookes in Racing engine design, or if anyone here is currently doing it or knows anybody doing it?, Iv done a search for threads on it and it came up once or twice but not with much details, would be nice to get some like minded aspiring engineers discussing about courses like this course or others like it around the world.

turboedcc

Re: MSc Racing Engine Design Oxford Brookes

I'm a 3rd year Mechanical Student myself, looking at getting into engine development, I'd like to work in engine development of some kind. Anyone else with similar interests?

Ls1toy

Currently in my second year automotive engineering honours degree, wanting to work in engine development as well.
Are you involved in formula student at all?

turboedcc

Ls1toy wrote:Currently in my second year automotive engineering honours degree, wanting to work in engine development as well.
Are you involved in formula student at all?
No, they have formula student here in my uni but I don't get involved. I used to work for an engine development company, blueprinting motorcycle engines and setting them up for racing. Then since coming back to University I did a season over last summer and autumn with a racer, helping him at races, prepping the bikes, and setting up his chassis, so don't think I'm missing out by not doing Formula student. I hit a wall progression wise in my career not having finished my degree, so I came back to finish it and probably do the masters mentioned above or a research masters, not sure which yet.

Ls1toy

Your story is quite similar to mine, I worked as a mechanic/manager at a engine performance/race team, completing an apprenticeship there, before hitting a wall in terms of learning. Now in second year at uni and engine sub system leader of the formula sae (student) team. The benefits of the FS program are not just in the fact you get to build a race car, you learn project management skills and team work which are invaluable in industry. Plus I get to do development projects that I would not have an opportunity to complete outside of the fsae system. It's definitely worth a second look.

turboedcc

Yeah I know what you mean, my original intention was to join the team, but it isn't taken seriously enough here to be honest. If I thought for a second I would learn something in it I be there, but sadly its badly run. I'm just concentrating on getting a good degree and helping a racer with his engine builds and chassis set up when ever he needs it. In terms of your course can you specialize in either a fluids/thermo or solids stream in your final year? That's the way our Mechanical degree works here, I'm looking at taking CFD and Boundary Layer Theory myself, more interested in learning about the unsteady gas dynamic end of engine development, since already done quite a lot of machining and toolmaking work in industry

obradorista

Let's see if someone knows something about this Brookes course, I'm also very interested.

turboedcc

Bump...

obradorista

Nothing?

Greg Locock

I suggest you find someone who designs and develops engines in the industry you are interested in, and find out how their career worked. I have a sneaking suspicion that very few successful motorsports engine designers did MScs in engine design.

I used to have an ex F1 engine engineer working at the next desk to me. He meshed conrods for a living. O the glamour.