Is F1Technical selling our e-mail details?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
SlowSteve

Is F1Technical selling our e-mail details?

Hi,

I couldn't find a better place to put this.

F1Technical is the only motorsport site ( actually the only non-professional site) that I use my work e-mail for. I have been register for ..... 6 months? ... I guess and have never recieved 1 piece of spam.

In the last 45 minutes I have recieved 7 f1 based marketing e-mails.

I am not casting aspersions - I know that every website has to make a revenue stream - so this isn't a fire'n'brimstone type of question - but I was wondering if email details from this forum have recently been passed to a marketing company, and if so, is there a mechanism to opt out of them?

Many thanks

Steve

turbof1

Re: Is F1Technical selling our e-mail details?

Hi Steve,

We certainly do not reveal account information like email adress on our own. Only moderators/administrators have the necessary rights to check the email adress.

The exception is when you add this information yourself at the profile tab at your user control panel. When done so, other 'members' are able to see this information. We have unfortunaly, like every other forums, bots skimming around here, so they'd pick that up and are then able to send spam. We explicitly warn members that others are able to view that:
Please note that this information may be viewable to other members. Be careful when including any personal details. Any fields marked with a * must be completed.
However, that does require you have to manually (and probably also after registering) add that information. I'm not completely sure, but checking your profil it does not seems you did so.

are you sure you did not leave that email adress anywhere else? Some blogs for instance require your email adress even though they don't require registering, which could explain this.

An other possibility is that we have a leak in our system. I'll contact the mod team since if that's the case it is quite serious.

A message to everybody: NEVER post your email adresses or other personal information at the public boards! It's viewable to everybody or for everything. Rather, if you need to share your email adress, do so in a Personal Message. We do not sell or share your information to anybody. We'll be looking in to this and hope to confirm we don't have a leak.
#AeroFrodo

Callum

If it makes any difference I've been on this site for years and never once received any spam. Hope you can sort the problem out.

Steven
Owner

A few short things:

- No email addresses are being sold, nor shared with any third party
- Members can see your contact details, but anonymous users and bots cannot