Xpensive has passed away

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
GitanesBlondes

Xpensive has passed away

While I haven't posted here in some time, I thought I would convey this to the long-time members who would want to know.

He passed away two days ago in Stockholm of a massive heart attack when out for a walk. Whether you liked him or not, xpensive was an unforgettable member here who was an old school engineer that knew quite a bit about design, and was a wealth of F1 knowledge that will be missed. He also was noted for his forthright opinions and positions. He was never one to mince words, and that didn't sit well with some here who were interested on presenting lite, unlikely to ruffle feathers discourse. For those who weren't bothered by this, he was a great guy to have a conversation with regardless. I didn't always see eye-to-eye with him, but could respect what he believed.

He was a huge fan of the Super Swede Ronnie Peterson, so this picture is a fitting tribute to his hero. Opposite lock in the John Player Special Lotus 72, the only way to have it.

"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Xpensive has passed away

RIP X. :cry:

FoxHound

Sad news, and my sincere condolences to his family.
In a former life as JET, we xchanged (colourfully at times)opinion aplenty.

The world is a less interesting place without him.

Vai com deus, x.
JET set

Tommy Cookers

here !, here !!

FW17

RIP

His engine thread was unforgettable.

miqi23

RIP.

Pierce89

He will be missed. He could wear thin, but he'll definitely be missed.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall II

He was a complex character, and I tend to think those are the very best kind. While at times he was xtraordinarily abrasive and given to fits of obstinance - both the marks of a man who lives squarely within his chest and cannot help but be himself - some of the highest compliments I've ever received are the moments when Thomas Arvidsson quietly incorporated aspects of my worldview into his own. It meant they met a standard that was intolerant of bullshit and unabashedly aspired to tower over the lowest common denominator. (When he stopped questioning my thoughts on aero, I knew with absolute certainty I was at least in the vicinity of the right path, and that's just all there was to it.)

I wish I had known him better, even if there's a better than average chance we wouldn't have gotten along very well in real life - our personalities are waaaay too similar. All the same, I regret not extending a hand. I was inexplicably too timid to venture beyond the surface, even though that's where our humanity thrives.

"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." ~ commonly attributed to C.S. Lewis

So, here are a couple of things I have no right to say...

To forgive is to abandon all hope for a better past.

Rules are arbitrary, and you can break almost all of them and still be a good person.
Last edited by bhall II on 23 Apr 2016, 03:12, edited 4 times in total.

dren

I was wondering where he went, I missed his posts. RIP, wish I knew him personally as I think we'd have gotten along well. Cheers, I'll drink one for X.
Honda!

flynfrog

For X

GitanesBlondes

bhall II wrote:He was a complex character, and I tend to think those are the very best kind. While at times he was xtraordinarily abrasive and given to fits of obstinance - both the marks of a man who lives squarely within his chest and cannot help but be himself - some of the highest compliments I've ever received are when Thomas Arvidsson quietly incorporated aspects of my worldview into his own. It meant they met a standard that was intolerant of bullshit and unabashedly towered over the lowest common denominator. (When he stopped questioning my thoughts on aero, I knew with absolute certainty I was at least in the vicinity of the right path, and that's just all there is to it.)

I wish I had known him better, even if there's a better than average chance we wouldn't have gotten along very well in real life - our personalities are waaaay too similar. All the same, I regret not reaching back when it seemed clear he had reached out. I was inexplicably too timid to rock the boat and venture into the unseen areas that lay beneath the surface and (wholly) define our humanity.

"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." ~ commonly attributed to C.S. Lewis

So, here are few things I have no right to say to anyone (and should not be viewed as references to anything specific at all):

To forgive is to abandon all hope for a better past.

Rules are arbitrary.

Everything changes.

It's never too late.
Great post. :)
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

strad

Rest in Peace X
I'm sure you're in a better place. [-o<
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SectorOne

I´ve always thought of you two as being the same person (metaphorically of course)
Since i´m already drinking, i´ll have one for him and his threads.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mcdenife

Crikey! this year has tagged quite a few notables already and its only April. Adieu X you wont be forgotten
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

donskar

X was an honest man with the courage to express his feelings openly -- a rare combination, in my experience.

This forum suffered from his absence -- it has certainly lost its appeal for me over the past few years.

Wherever X is, the discourse is more lively and more open than it is here.
Last edited by turbof1 on 22 Apr 2016, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed italics tags
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill