Help me pick the right Uni / program

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
bentiac

Help me pick the right Uni / program

Hi All

I'm looking to do my Msc in one of the UK universities and this is what I've applied for:

-Cranfield - Automotive Mechatronics - Got admission
-Oxford Brookes - Motorsports Eng - Still waiting
-University of Derby - Motorsports Eng - Got admission

My main interest is motorsports and F1. I have a background in EE and that's why I applied for the Automotive Mechatronics at Cranfield, rather than their Advanced Motorsports program. Oxford Brookes is another university I would consider but they are so unresponsive and I'm getting tired of waiting. Derby accepted me but I don't know how reputable they are.

If there is a need for Mechatronics / Control systems in motorsports and F1, I would rather go to Cranfield... but that's the big IF. Any thoughts?

everythingisawesome

Re: Help me pick the right Uni / program

Brooks and Cranfield have good connections with F1 teams!

cramr

everythingisawesome wrote:Brooks and Cranfield have good connections with F1 teams!
Agree. People say that Brookes is more "practical" and Cranfield more *theoretical" or toward do PhD and Research before F1. But for sure both pretty good and with good F1 connections (Brookes with Renault and Cranfield with Williams)

bentiac

That's what I thought. My bigger question is, will studying automotive mechatronics vs. Motorsports be an impediment to getting an F1 job [edit: a job in motorsports]? If not, I think I prefer Cranfield over Brookes.
Last edited by bentiac on 09 Feb 2017, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Locock

And from another thread this is the story of someone who did a motorsports "further " degree

"It took me over 200 applications before I got my F1 job and I am the only one of the 8 who is working for a team at the moment. "

...and there you have it. This post should be copied to every "I wanna join an F1 team and I'm going to do it with a Motorsports masters" thread.

bentiac

[quote="Greg ]
...and there you have it. This post should be copied to every "I wanna join an F1 team and I'm going to do it with a Motorsports masters" thread.[/quote]

Shoot for the moon my friend!

What I care most about is a career in motorsports... F1 or not.

krisfx

Greg Locock wrote:And from another thread this is the story of someone who did a motorsports "further " degree

"It took me over 200 applications before I got my F1 job and I am the only one of the 8 who is working for a team at the moment. "

...and there you have it. This post should be copied to every "I wanna join an F1 team and I'm going to do it with a Motorsports masters" thread.

On the flip side, I got my job on my second application to F1 and it's my second job since leaving uni....

I firmly believe it's not what you study, I think the real world experience in most cases is what stands out.