Berger & Senna - practical joke(r)s

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
manchild

Berger & Senna - practical joke(r)s

It was during the McLaren years that Gerhard Berger became most famous for his humorous side. Popular accounts tell of many ingenious practical jokes thought up by the Austrian to break through the serious, focused and unyielding Ayrton Senna. Senna, accepting the challenge, quickly submitted, and spurred on by team manager Ron Dennis the practical joking escalated.

Accounts tell of an incident at Monza where in a joint helicopter ride Senna had been showing off his new tailor made briefcase. Having been made of carbon fibre composite, Senna argued that it should be virtually indestructible. Berger, without much hesitation and much to Senna's disbelief, opened the door of the helicopter and threw the briefcase out, to test the hypothesis.

"It fell somewhere near the course but we found it again," Berger recalled with a cheeky grin.

On another occasion, in an Australian hotel room Berger filled Senna's bed with animals. Senna understandably infuriated, confronted Berger by saying;

"I've spent the last hour catching 12 frogs in my room," to which Berger replied, "Did you find the snake?"

"Actually they weren't frogs, they were bigger, more like toads. In Australia they have this kind of stuff. I thought he liked animals but clearly not," Berger explained.

It was an incident that prompted retaliation by Senna, who then proceeded to put a strong smelling French cheese in the air conditioning unit of Berger's room.

On another occasion, Senna and Brazilian compatriot Mauricio Gugelmin decided to fill Berger's shoes with shaving foam on a fast train ride to a dinner in Japan. Having been forced to attend the dinner wearing a tuxedo with sneakers, Berger vowed for retribution. It was at the Japanese Grand Prix a few days later that Gugelmin (driving for Leyton-House) was approached by Joseph Leberer, the McLaren team nutritionist, offering fresh orange juice. Ever vigilant, Mauricio declined the suspicious offer. He would later expand:

"One hour before the race starts he crushed four sleeping pills into that juice and sent it to me. I would pass out at the start of the race in which the world title would be decided. The cars roaring by at the track and I snoring in the cabin, can you imagine it?"

Best known is probably an incident in which Berger replaced Senna's passport photo with what Ron Dennis described as "an equivalent-sized piece of male genitalia". Senna's fame meant he rarely had his passport checked, but on a later trip to Argentina Berger's prank resulted in officials holding the Brazilian for 24 hours. As a response to this gag, Senna superglued all of Berger's credit cards together.

Another incident occurred years later at Ferrari, when Gerhard Berger and fellow F1 driver Jean Alesi were instructed to collect team director Jean Todt's new special made Lancia roadcar. Returning to the team headquarters entrance, Jean Alesi lost control of the car after Berger unexpectedly pulled the handbrake. Having flipped the car and skidded upside down to a halt in front of the entrance, Berger admitted to Todt that they had put "slight curb marks on the roof".

manchild

Re: Berger & Senna - practical joke(r)s

It is strange how two of them almost faced same destiny at same corner.

1989-1994 no changes of safety in that corner 5 years after Berger was almost killed by hitting unprotected wall.

See what I mean when I "rant" against FIA?

Piquet 1987

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1uKlyZDYcg[/youtube]

Berger 1989

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8q5HoBzOA[/youtube]

Senna 1994

you've all seen that video...

Tom

One of my favorite stories is of Senna arriving late for a dinner with Prof Watkins and his family, explaining he'd been delayed because Berger had filled his shoes with butter!

Alot of these examples seem pretty extreme verging on dangerous. I've been attempting some jokes on my flat mates (involving crutches and dead fish), a few have been unsucessful but my next plan is foolproof. My neighbour spends alot of time on the computer/playstation/xbox or whatever it is he's got. My plan is to sneak into his room next time he goes for a shower and hide charged capacitors around his room, with leads sticking out so, for example when he picks up his controller he gets electrocuted.

Should be entertaining.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild

Tom wrote:My plan is to sneak into his room next time he goes for a shower and hide charged capacitors around his room, with leads sticking out so, for example when he picks up his controller he gets electrocuted.

Should be entertaining.
Better not joke with that. There are capacitors that can kill!

Belatti

I remember to have seen a picture where Berger was sleeping in the pitwall and someone was introducing a Pressure gauge into his ear. I would like to see if he is still that funny in STR.
Some of the practical jokes are related in Francisco Santos biography of Senna (I think thats one of the book that marked my life as an F1 fan).
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

Don't worry M/C, this guy is generally pretty healthy, we've all been electrocuted several times before and I'm doing a bit of research on them to make sure it only gives him a small shock.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Belatti

Tom wrote:Don't worry M/C, this guy is generally pretty healthy, we've all been electrocuted several times before and I'm doing a bit of research on them to make sure it only gives him a small shock.
:x :x :x AAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!! You people just dont learn ??? Haven´t you seen Batman (Tim Burton version) when the Joker (Jack Nicholson) tosts a man with a capacitor handshake?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

I'll tell you what I tell my friend Kenny, I've never seen batman, that doesn't make me any less of a person, in fact the opposite, I have the advantage.

jaho101

Wow, those crashes were a lot worse than Senna. Real shame that a couple cars careening off didn't convince anyone they needed to slow the track down a bit.