Random questions about everyday cars

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Belatti

Re: Random questions about everyday cars

I am already aiming to sell my 1.8T Audi A3. Im tired of its problems, it keeps drinking oil that then clogs the spark plugs and makes lambda sensor to misread.

The result: I clean it all, it works OK for a week and then problems appear again and I have to drive the damn thing like if it was in 3 cilinders till I get home. And it also wastes fuel.

There doesnt seem to be a single shop that can solve the problem.

What a pitty there are no Hondas S2000 in Argentina.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

autogyro

Valve guides or rings?
What is the mileage?
Turbo, could be the turbo oil seals.

autogyro

Take out the plugs and fit a pressure tester.
Spin the engine on the starter.
If it holds a good pressure (120psi at a guess).
It is not rings leaking oil.
That leaves just the valve stem oil seals/valve guide wear, or the turbo seals.

ISLAMATRON

Belatti wrote:I am already aiming to sell my 1.8T Audi A3. Im tired of its problems, it keeps drinking oil that then clogs the spark plugs and makes lambda sensor to misread.

The result: I clean it all, it works OK for a week and then problems appear again and I have to drive the damn thing like if it was in 3 cilinders till I get home. And it also wastes fuel.

How much milage on this car? Sounds like the oil control rings... not good... nobody rebuilds engines around you? 1 simple thing people overlook... ever change the PCV valve? or maybe install an oil catch can

Belatti

The car has arround 90K miles. In a 20 valve engine its not good idea to replace valve seats, and even less if they are xpensive Audi spares #-o
There are many engine rebuilders but I wont spent 30% of the value of the car for it.

And I think I´ll return to a 1.6 or 1.4 liter crap can that I can punish without flushing my wage thru the gas tank :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

ISLAMATRON

I know a guy who works at an audi shop, I'll ask him if he has any idea, gimme all the relevent info to show him. 90K miles is not that much but if abused then it might be time for a rebuild... which would actually be cheaperthan a new car no? But only worth it if you really like the car overall.

so you think the problem is the valve seats and not the compression rings? Do a compression test?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Belatti wrote:I am already aiming to sell my 1.8T Audi A3. Im tired of its problems, it keeps drinking oil that then clogs the spark plugs and makes lambda sensor to misread.

Belatti my friend, you NEED to drive an S2000 before you pass into the next world. It redefined what I expect from a car, just watch the snappy rear end. Many of my fellow UK S2000 owners have lost control of their cars due to a combination of V-tec and rear wheel drive. If you respect it, it will treat you like a king :wink:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Belatti

Sorry, no S2000 for South America, just Accords, Civics and Fits. Maybe an old Prelude V6 would be nice...

I dont like the car that much because its automatic and a 1998 model.

Im decided to sell it :|

mx_tifoso

Belatti, haven't you learned from Fangio that automatics are the way to go when not racing? Automatico para el uso diario. :wink:

Unless it's a sports car of course, but I don't think you're getting one.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Belatti

mx_tifosi wrote:Belatti, haven't you learned from Fangio that automatics are the way to go when not racing? Automatico para el uso diario. :wink:

Yeah, Im aware he said that. He felt it like working :lol:
Of course I dont work like he did (racing) so in my case it feels like... boring! (Unless you are in a traffic jam, where the auto is comfortable but mileage drops...)

vyselegend

Belatti wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Belatti, haven't you learned from Fangio that automatics are the way to go when not racing? Automatico para el uso diario. :wink:

Yeah, Im aware he said that. He felt it like working :lol:
Of course I dont work like he did (racing) so in my case it feels like... boring! (Unless you are in a traffic jam, where the auto is comfortable but mileage drops...)
I disagree. I'd say the way to go for either driving or racing is sequential! Unless you find a fast and inteligent automatic gearbox, you're just going to feel frustrated by it's delay and it's lack of pertinence in shifting up or down sometimes.

I recently had to drive for more than 500km in a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, and the gearbox was sooo slow I felt it was even dangerous sometimes. Ok, it's most probably unrepresentative, as this very gearbox is reputed to s*ck, but I felt much more comfortable switching to sequential mode. The original auto mapping is "economic", and guarantees sloooow accelerations and intempestives downshifts at evry slight deceleration. Strangely, if you use speed regulator's "pause" button to get back to planned speed after braking, it suddenly over-revs and accelerate aggressively (although poor wheight/power ratio makes it more noisy than impressive lol). Worst of all, lack of clutch control makes you powerles at very slow speed (like in traffic jams), as the car is constantly shaken and pitches ridiculously up and down while the piloted gearbox struggles to maintain the clutch at given level (it seems almost on/off). Pathetic...

Back to the Smart case, first I must apologise for being such an uneducated guy that I made you lose your time guessing about a motionless fan... which was the one of the intercooler! #-o :oops: Shame one me, I only realised that yesterday when I found there's a little radiator in a more conventional place (inside the front bumper), and despite marcush hinted at the car being turbocharged I lost a whole week staring at the wrong place...

Still, the real radiator's fan don't seem to work anyway (but that's guessing just by the lack of sound from it when the car gets hot again, I haven't unmounted the front careenage yet). The car still tends to heat up very quickly (up to 80°C in less than 20km) and cool down very slowly (still in the 60°C range after half an hour parked in the shadow).

The good news however is that I'm not missing cooling water anymore, looks like the anti-leak granules worked well. It's puzzling that I couldn't spot the least drop of fluid under the car while it was parked, because it's obvious now there was a leak. But it was leaking only when the car was in motion apparently. A friend suggested today that maybe the leak was heat-related, occuring only when some ducts extremity were dilated, or something like that.

Anyway, I'm still unhappy with the car, because it warms too much (but no bip alert anymore), so I feel uncomfortable driving it. Must investigate the damned fan in the next couple of days.