Need help for choosing the university for motorsport engg..

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
tsk
tsk

Need help for choosing the university for motorsport engg..

Guys, I'm thinking about getting the admission to the course "motorsport technology/engineering". But I'm having trouble in choosing the university. My choices are Coventry, Hertfordshire, Brunel n Stafford shire. I searched the universities for their rankings, but all the lists show the university rankings for general engineering. they are not the course specific. Anyone know where I can find the list where they show university rankings in the area of motorsport engg/technology..?? Or if you guys have any information on these universities that will help me choose one...???

Sanjay13

Re: Need help for choosing the university for motorsport engg..

I believe that Cranfield University is the best .I have heard that some student was picked up by McLaren right after college !!!! They have a partnership with Williams F1 and i think Patrick Head gives them a talk every year . I faintly remember about some scholarship for British nationals . Pat Symonds studied at Cranfield .Soton has a course for aero . Adrian Newey studied there .

You could also search the forums for more info .

Hope it helps :D

autogyro

I am in touch with Cranfield on a project at present.
I have always considered this to be one of the top sources for F1 graduates.
However recently I have been told by a couple of people in the know so to speak, that Cranfield among others is leaning more towards projects that are money motivated and the opinion was that this is not in the universities best interests.
Brunel as well as a number of others are great institutions and I would not like to judge any of them.
Unfortunately in the present economic climate, they are all looking for income.

Jersey Tom

At the undergraduate level? Or the graduate level?

If undergrad...

a) I wouldn't bother going for something that specific. Do Mechanical Engineering or something broad, specialize later.

b) Ratings at the undergrad level are kinda pointless so long as it's a fairly reputable school. You get out as much as you put in.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mep

and If postgrad.....?

Jersey Tom

Postgrad I have no feel for schools outside the US.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

tsk
tsk

OK...thanks for the advice guys....

Here's my history. I have completed A Diploma in Mechanical Engg. and B.Eng in Production Engg. Since my Production degree is useless for motorsport.. I'll have to go for a Undergraduate degree in Motorsport Engg./Technology......

Since yesterday there's a new development...
I have received offer letters from coventry and hertfordshire both for direct 2nd year entry. So my plan is to complete B.Sc. motorsport technology and then opt for MS in the same field...... so that will give me 1 more degree and masters in 3 years....

I've read about hertfordshire in one of the motorsport magazines but hardly have heard about coventry....

So now anyone have any info about these two universities..?? Or recommend me one of them??

Sanjay13

Cranfield is post grad only . I would advise you to do Mechanical . Try to specialize as late as possible .

doopie2you

Sanjay13 wrote:I believe that Cranfield University is the best .I have heard that some student was picked up by McLaren right after college !!!! They have a partnership with Williams F1 and i think Patrick Head gives them a talk every year . I faintly remember about some scholarship for British nationals . Pat Symonds studied at Cranfield .Soton has a course for aero . Adrian Newey studied there .

You could also search the forums for more info .

Hope it helps :D
But the Coventry University, is that any good or not? Because i am thinking about going there when i finish my study here in Holland.
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows