female drivers in motorsport

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
hollus

Re: female drivers in motorsport

Take any (published) sociological or biological study with a grain of salt. The samples analyzed have a huge impact on the results. Plus, it is much easier to publish a difference than to say "we find no difference within our experimental uncertainty, which by the way, is not so small".
In those studies, how many men were or had been active in competitive sports or heavy videogame players? And how many women? Any chance sports or videogames improve reflexes? They did with me, now I mostly quit both and I find myself hopelessly slower...
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

We did some experiments at school (A Level biology) to look at these sort of things. In the relatively small sample of our class group, the male average was better than the female average for spatial tests.

I don't think there's an issue pointing out that men and women are, on average, different in certain areas. It's not considered PC of course but sometimes reality out-trumps socio-political preferences...

Anyway, being different is what makes women so 'interesting'! :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WhiteBlue

marcush. wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Why is it that air forces typically retire their fighter pilots at age 42? The most significant physical ability that they loose with age seems to be reaction time.
in army almost anyone will be retired at a fairly early age as far as I know..
AFAIK they do not retire general officers at that age. The difference probably lies in piloting a desk rather than a nine G pulling jet plane.
Just_a_fan wrote:I don't think there's an issue pointing out that men and women are, on average, different in certain areas.
+1

One should be able to disciminate between the rights before the law and between certain gender specific abilities that were aquired by the evolutionary process.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 22 Jun 2010, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, id like to see someone like Natasha Gachnang or Cyndie Alleman in F1 before the likes of Danica Patrick, those girls are fast, allong with Rahal Frey they proved they can hang with the best of men in the GT1 class at Le Mans, not to mention what they have been doing in FIA GT1 this year.

But one person that has shown her class in Prototypes to me is Vannina Ickx, she hussles the car better than some blokes.

I think its hard for women to break into F as theres a monotorium in F1 that think ist only bor guys. But if women can start to prove their worth in other Formula, its gonna be a matter of time before we see women in F1.

Its all about breaking the phycological and physicological traits i feel. Whitch is harder to do that just saying.

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:I think its hard for women to break into F as theres a monotorium in F1 that think ist only bor guys.
What is a monotorium? Did you think of a moratorium?
Webster wrote:Inflected Form(s): plural mor·a·to·riums also mor·a·to·ria \-ē-ə\
Etymology: New Latin, from Late Latin, neuter of moratorius dilatory, from Latin morari to delay, from mora delay
Date: 1875
1 a : a legally authorized period of delay in the performance of a legal obligation or the payment of a debt b : a waiting period set by an authority
2 : a suspension of activity
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 22 Jun 2010, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew wrote: Eh? I tought the "creator" (if you choose to believe in that) created everyone in his own image or something like that.

Male or female is irrelevant for all jobs.
No he created MAN in his image...

Evdiently it isnt irrelevant, a male security guard isnt allowed frisk a woman in the airport. Women dont want equality, the want equality in the areas where they were behind, but want to hold onto the perks, like 'chilivary'. Its all aload of horses**t

ESPImperium wrote:its gonna be a matter of time before we see women in F1
There have been a few women in F1 before. They scored 1/2 a point between them. :D

Ted68

To be rather crudely blunt, there is no driver out there steering with his penis, so women are equally qualified. I agree about Ickx, she has the goods.

I don't think Patrick handles the pressure or politics well enough in IndyCar and F1 would crush her. She did a good job at Indy 500 this year but she is a top 10 driver, not a winner.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

mep

Vannina Ickx drove DTM also together with some other womens and I am not really impressed by their performance.
I think motorsport is physicaly not so demanding that they have a major disadvantage there so they should have a chance to compete with the male drivers.

ISLAMATRON

you might not steer with it but you still gotta have big balls

Giblet
Giblet

mep wrote:Vannina Ickx drove DTM also together with some other womens and I am not really impressed by their performance.
I think motorsport is physicaly not so demanding that they have a major disadvantage there so they should have a chance to compete with the male drivers.
Most female drivers have a weight advantage over their male counterparts, but might have a slightly higher CoG to balance it out :wink:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

We seem to be forgetting that motorsports are one of the only sports where women compete directly with men. Athlethics, Football, Aquatics, Tennis, they all have a seperate competition. Like it or lump it (no pun intended), Women just arent up to it.

Ted68

I would say it is more that no woman has made it to the upper ranks yet.

It's more of a numbers game. Most men who try to compete at the top level fail also. It simply comes down to the fact that there are many more men competing in Motorsport than women, so of course the individuals who succeed will more often be male. I am sure there is a girl out there racing somewhere right now who is inspired by St. James, Guthrie, Fischer and Patrick who will kick the boys asses soon.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

WhiteBlue

Ted68 wrote:I am sure there is a girl out there racing somewhere right now who is inspired by St. James, Guthrie, Fischer and Patrick who will kick the boys asses soon.
+1

It will inevitably happen one day. The Russians let women fly fighter planes in WWII and some of them made ace. Today women are flying attack and fighter planes in the American forces but in very low numbers.
Military Woman Pilots wrote:Another of the first American woman to fly in combat in the '90s was Lt Col.Martha McSally, ranked as the top female Air Force pilot. Lt Col McSally was among the first women trained by the Air Force as a fighter pilot. During a 1995-96 tour of duty in Kuwait, she became the first woman in military history to fly a combat sortie in a fighter aircraft. She also flew more than 100 combat hours on an A-10 Warthog attack plane over Iraq in the mid-1990s, and served as a flight commander and trainer of combat pilots.
The requirements compared to F1 are even more challenging and women like McSally are on their way to carve out their success niche there. It will also happen in F1. It is only a question of time.

spinmastermic

In my experiance, most guys wanna go fast and be the best. Most girls wanna buy and collect shoes. I would love to see a girl kick ass in F1 thought.