Fukushima Technical Discussion

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Richard

Re: Fukushima Technical Discussion

There will be many sources of atmospheric dust, I'm puzzled as to why you are convinced this must have crossed two oceans and a continent from Japan rather than more likely and local sources?

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Hi forty-two

It is strange that this dust hasn't been reported, even if it turns out to have nothing to do with Fukushima. You'd think it would be the sort of thing that would appear at the end of the news or would get a mention in the national press.

I know with Chernobyl that particles deposited over the UK and Western Europe, but of course it was a lot closer than Fukushima. For anything significant to reach the UK from Japan, broadly speaking, it either has to flow over the Pacific, the USA and the Atlantic or over Russia, Western Europe and the North Sea. I'm not saying it is impossible but both routes cover huge areas of land and sea. I think we need to see air stream diagrams to be certain.

There have been particles detected in the UK - source, however the radiation levels are reportedly tiny and virtually nothing above the normal level of background radiation.

OT: The SNP have won and it will be interesting to see if they can make any real changes. They are wanting to create more jobs in construction (might be good for me!) but it all comes down to the old question of where does the money come from? I hope this means that we finally have a Scottish parliament that will make some real changes for the better. Time will tell.

I was thinking last Friday whilst I celebrated the wedding through the medium of sleep in the morning and then going for a 7 mile cliff top walk in the afternoon that this must be the first royal couple for a long time to not actually be inbred. Just think - the kids might be normal! :lol:

autogyro

http://www.ajc.com/business/official-ja ... 38811.html

Looks like all our misgivings and fears are unfounded.
Those in charge see no problem.
Ah well, no more children for me then.

manchild

MOX is out! No.3 at Fukushima is leaking directly into the ocean!

Still, royal honeymoon is more important issue for dependent globalist media.

You can hardly find a story about it.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/1 ... 11?rpc=401

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

manchild wrote:Still, royal honeymoon is more important issue for dependent globalist media.
I heard yesterday that the location is being kept secret (not that I could give a flying wotnot) but just think, wouldn't it be great if they were due to go to Japan? It'll bring Fukushima straight back into the news. :wink:

designsbyalx

You can find a (my) Fukushima 3d model for Google Earth here:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... bc6322f73b

forty-two

To all those who said I was bonkers for questioning why Fukushima was getting so little press in the UK, looks like it was as I had suspected a deliberate PR campaign to ensure any people with anti-nuclear sentiments didn't focus too hard on Fukushima in the run-up to the announcement of a rollout of new nuclear sites in the UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/i ... -fukushima

Perhaps I'm not quite as potty as some might believe?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Richard

Smokes

steamed powered pumps would have stopped the problem as they will run of the steam generated by the reactor. Diesels have alway been the cheaper alternative. ;)

autogyro

Smokes wrote:steamed powered pumps would have stopped the problem as they will run of the steam generated by the reactor. Diesels have alway been the cheaper alternative. ;)
What?

manchild

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it" - Edmund Burke

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... in-France/

forty-two

manchild wrote:"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it" - Edmund Burke

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... in-France/
I knew you'd be on the case with this issue Manchild! Love the new avatar!

Something interesting is that there are lots of people pointing out that "this incident did not happen in a reactor, so no meltdown is possible", but my meagre understanding of nuclear physics is that this is not true.

Based on the events at Fukushima, I understand that the spent fuel pools which leaked all of their coolant suffered "prompt criticalities" and "runaway chain reactions" as a result of not being cooled for days on end. So the lack of a reactor doesn't necessarily mean that no "meltdown" can occur.

In fact, if it were a reactor, it would have a containment building and pressure vessel, which presumably the "ovens" involved in this incident did not?

Thoughts people?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

CMSMJ1

I appreciate and can understand all of your worries and issues guys. Should I feel like a git if I just am not worried about nuclear disaster, meltodown, supervolcano or whatever?

We'll all be dead in 100 years...the human race is not going to survive for too much longer in a geological sense...so why the sress now?

I've "known" manchild on here for a few years...appreciate the effort and the big heart and the love for your fellow man. I suppose that with issues like this there must be people 1000x mor bothered about it than the other 999 people that don't care.. kudos manchild for your motivation, dedication and excellent gif skills... =D>

Specifically - I like the idea of nuclear power*. if more effort was spent on getting it to a "safe enough" level that doomsday theories have to start worrying about drunken elks then we'd be on the right path.

coal, oil and gas is not sustainable, literally or geo-politically.

I'll pour another glass of wine and bid you adieu.

*fusion preferably...but nowt wrong with fission though IMO
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Richard

manchild wrote:"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it" - Edmund Burke
Welcome back! =D>

Very apt quote - are you talking about your coming and going on here???

manchild

Radiation hotspots, strontium found in Tokyo area

Setagaya, a major residential area in Tokyo about 235 km (150 km) southwest of the plant, said this week it found a radioactive hotspot on a sidewalk near schools.

The radiation there measured as much as 2.7 microsieverts per hour, higher than some areas in the evacuation zone near the plant.

Washing down the area with water did not help lower the radiation levels, Setagaya Mayor Nobuto Hosaka said but added that the district had been advised that it was safe for people to walk by.

The city of Funabashi in Chiba, near Tokyo, said on Thursday that a citizens' group had measured a radiation level of 5.8 microsieverts per hour at a park and it was now making checks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/ ... ws&rpc=401