Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gandharva

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

RedBull and Torro Rosso signed 2017 & 2018 contract with Renault.
"We are delighted to extend our partnership which has proved very successful over time," said Red Bull team principal Christian Horner.

"After the reconstruction that Renault has undertaken, clear progress has been made which has made it logical to continue with the TAG Heuer-badged engine."

President of Renault Sport Racing Jerome Stoll added: "We are very pleased to partner with two such strong teams as Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... nault-deal

Blackout

NL_Fer wrote:I wonder if they used a new qualifing mode for Ricciardo, almost 1s quicker than FP and first part of Q. And if they have, can they run it for more then 1 lap?
RIC: Had the update here from the power unit. That was working well, I think. You can just feel it pulls a little bit more, so in some practice sessions we didn’t run, let’s say, full power, so it was more like the older spec and you can feel it pull a bit more, up the hill for example out of Turn One. So it’ll be interesting when we get to longer straights, Canada the next one, and Max will have it in there as well, so it’ll be interesting to see where we stand there.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monac ... ce-741370/

Pierce89

ReoPTy wrote:there are lot of gossip about pre chamber stuff, what stun me is the fact its not in the rules, Cowell said No, Taffin said No and because Malhe works for years with Ferrari, their actual in devlopment Tji might be adapted to Ferrari F1 engine ?

Till a major top head of engine DEV from ferrari, Mercedes, Honda Renault doesn't comes out and details it,all of these is pure BS imaginated by somes judge dred or other vegetal journoyos plant rising around F1 world
What happened to all of your inside info? How is Renault burning the ultra lean mixtures necessary to achieve this new level of efficiency?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

toraabe
toraabe

Probably they have developed their own secret

PlatinumZealot

Blackout wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:I wonder if they used a new qualifing mode for Ricciardo, almost 1s quicker than FP and first part of Q. And if they have, can they run it for more then 1 lap?
RIC: Had the update here from the power unit. That was working well, I think. You can just feel it pulls a little bit more, so in some practice sessions we didn’t run, let’s say, full power, so it was more like the older spec and you can feel it pull a bit more, up the hill for example out of Turn One. So it’ll be interesting when we get to longer straights, Canada the next one, and Max will have it in there as well, so it’ll be interesting to see where we stand there.
Vettel hinted that it was RedBull's and Mercedes' ability to work the tyres into a new sort of range for qualifying. He looked quite mystified and miffed about it in the post qualy interview.. Ferrari down by one second again in Q3..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Pierce89 wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:there are lot of gossip about pre chamber stuff, what stun me is the fact its not in the rules, Cowell said No, Taffin said No and because Malhe works for years with Ferrari, their actual in devlopment Tji might be adapted to Ferrari F1 engine ?

Till a major top head of engine DEV from ferrari, Mercedes, Honda Renault doesn't comes out and details it,all of these is pure BS imaginated by somes judge dred or other vegetal journoyos plant rising around F1 world
What happened to all of your inside info? How is Renault burning the ultra lean mixtures necessary to achieve this new level of efficiency?
troll?

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Vettel hinted that it was RedBull's and Mercedes' ability to work the tyres into a new sort of range for qualifying. He looked quite mystified and miffed about it in the post qualy interview.. Ferrari down by one second again in Q3..
Vettel feels the wind changing angle , and all this TJI Malhe wonder's fading away .. so they look at tyres on others

PlatinumZealot

McLaren whined about it too. So something is definitely there. But back to topic.. The puported new qualifying mode was not the reason for that huge gain in performance in q2 check magnusen and jolyon..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

That said, watching the cars exit of Mirabeau corner I found the Renault engine was the most docile out of corners, better, even, than the Mercedes, Ferrari and Honda. From Mirabeau turn to the Loews hairpin (Fairmont nowadays), the cars are traction limited : that's where we can assess the ability of an engine to transmit all of its power (the so-called "driveability"). Of course this is a subjective observation, with no numbers, but Magnussen underlined the progressivity and driveability of this B version
 Jacky Eeckelaert - google translation

Blackout

gandharva

Nice read. Here is my short translation:

- 2015 they (Renault) completely stopped development and only worked towards reliability because of too agressive development in 2014/2015 that caused problems with pistons and mgu-h
- Brazil update in 2015 was the baseline for 2016 development
- All 3 tokens have been spent for cumbustion chamber modifications (improved ignition system)
- Those cumbustion chamber modifications are "a first step towards pre chamber ignition" Mercedes uses
- Engine currently 0,5s behind Mercedes
- Viry restructuring lead to flatter hirarchy, better tools (test bench, simulation, calculation) and new (experienced) people
- Ilmor input mostly went towards test benches and knowhow in general but he insists most development was done by people in Viry
- no further updates planned in 2016

Looks like they are back on track and know what to do, but still a fair bit behind in development.

hurril
hurril

No pictures? (That's general - I want to see more engine pictures of all manufacturers.)

Blackout

Great pics here and in the respective engine threads
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars ... =hootsuite
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars ... =hootsuite

2016 Renault turbo seems to be more compact or closer to the engine than 2015, but I might be wrong

FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

gandharva wrote: - no further updates planned in 2016.
This to me is a big problem, and I'm surprised there isn't a big fuss being made. Ferrari will have a new turbo at Montreal and likely claw back alot of ground Renault just made up. Who knows what Mercedes have planned but I wouldn't rule out something developed in tandem with another new fuel blend.

gruntguru
gruntguru

For the teams near the top of the power race (Mercedes and Ferrari), gains from here will be incremental. Assuming of course there is no "ground breaking" technology. Something like a new turbo for Ferrari is not going to produce a large gain.
je suis charlie