Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Thunder

Re: Honda Power Unit

Another huge one from muramasa.

So the 2017 PU is new from scratch, worked on since May 2016 and not done yet.

muramasa, on 11 Jan 2017 - 13:04, said:
=============================================================

Hasegawa interview by f1-stinger.com

in mid-Dec in Japan

either the same joint interview session on 21 Dec for the sportiva article below pt.5 as well as its prev articles (pt1~4), or separate exclusive session
there are some quotes common but cannot be sure (even then, the date is sometime mid-Dec)

2016年12月26日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その1
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061411.php

----------- After the season is over, Rosberg announced retirement which made 2016 the year of turmoil/dynamics/etc. What do you Hasegawa-san make of it?
Not that it's what's related to us directly, but I was hearing a lot of stories regarding Alonso and Jenson in relation to that, so (laughs). Especially Fernando, there was talk about him going to Merc, so if that indeed happened, it would be quite a confusion, I thought.

----シーズンが終わった後に、ロズベルグの引退で"激動の2016年"になりました。長谷川さんとしては、どんな受け止め方だったのでしょうか。
長谷川祐介F1プロジェクト総責任者(以下、長谷川):直接は関係ないですが、アロンソやジェンソンの周辺がいろいろ聞こえてきましたから(笑)。特にフェルナンドは、メルセデスに、という話もあったので、そうなったら大変だな、と。

------------ As a matter of course he's gunning at his 3rd title, so I imagined he may well be thinking like it would be difficult for 2017 mclaren honda to fight for championship but it should be possible for Merc. Eventually, Alonso made announcement that he's faithful to the team, which settled things down.
I felt grateful for that, but yet again further pressure on us (laughs). I mean, he's trusting us / relying on us.

----当然、三度目のワールドチャンピオンを目指していますから。2017年のマクラーレン・ホンダは、タイトル争いは難しい、メルセデスなら、という思いがあるのではないか、という想像ができました。結局は、チームに忠誠を誓うんだ、というコメントがアロンソから出て一件落着でした。
長谷川:ありがたいと思いましたが、またプレッシャーのかかることになりました(笑)。期待してくれているんだな、と。

-------- If it was about going into this year (2016) from last year (2015), Alonso might have had different idea, but next year chassis regulation will change a lot.
Not that I spoke with Fernando face to face about it, but generally speaking WDC chance gets higher at Mercedes, but rather than that, he committed himself into this challenging task of creating championship winning team by himself, I guess. Like when Michael Schumacher raced for Ferrari. I felt/took it that way selfishly. I believe it's safe to say he's wanting to achieve something of that sort. To begin with, he publicly commented that he used to admire McLaren Honda, and I imagine he wants to resurrect it by his own hand/might, to our delight.

----去年から今年だったらアロンソも違う考え方になったかもしれませんが、来年は、車両規則が大きく変わります。
長谷川:フェルナンドと直接話したわけではないですが、メルセデスでチャンピオンの確率が高くなるわけですが、それよりも、自らチャンピオンチームを創る、というチャレンジングなタスクに自分をかけてくれたのかな、と。ミハエル・シューマッハがフェラーリにいたときのように。というように、勝手に感じました。彼自身がそういうことをしたいと思っているのは間違いないと思います。そもそも、彼がマクラーレン・ホンダに憧れていたということは公言していることですし、自分の力で復活させたいと思ってくれているのだと思います。

--------- At first he must have been shocked tho (laughs), but as a result, the bond with the team has been strengthened?
That's right, it's our mutual desire from both mclaren and us honda to resurrect the formidable team in mclaren honda, so Fernando must be sensing the spirit towards the task strongly, I guess.

----最初はびっくりしたでしょうけれど(笑)、結果としては、チームとの絆が強まった?
長谷川:そうですね。我々やマクラーレンも、マクラーレン・ホンダという強いチームを復活させたい、というのが共通の想いですので、フェルナンドは、そのタスクに対する想いは非常に強く感じていると思います。

==================================================

2016年12月26日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その2
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061412.php

--------- At the final stage of 2016 season, there were changes and movements in F1 like retirements and all that. How was the 2016 season like, for Honda as well as for Hasegawa-san?
Having gone through the tough first year of comeback, we were able to progress one step ahead firmly, I think. But, asked if it went like fairy tale, it wasnt like that, but we have reached a level where we were supposed to achieve in 2nd year of participation. If we had got victory, it wouldve been a dream come true indeed, but it's next year that's crucial in which we will challenge to battle squarely. We got closer to that area as a transitional phase.

----2016年シーズン終盤、引退やらなにやらでいろいろ動きました。ホンダとして、長谷川さんとしてはどんな1年でしたか。
長谷川:厳しい復帰初年度を体験して、ワンステップ確実に進められたかな、と。でも、おとぎ話のようによかったかというと、そんなこともないですが、2年目として、やらなければいけないレベルになったと思います。これで優勝でもしていたら、本当にドリームだったと思いますが、まぁ勝負は来年ですよね。その領域に通過点として近づいたと。

------ For Hasegawa-san personally, it was the first year of comeback since 00s.
understanding and getting used to the task, including recalling what I used to do, amid fast changing environment of F1 was all that I could do. Including interviews like this very session, I wasn't able to understand what I should act like.
----長谷川さんにとっては、第3期からの復帰初年度でした。
長谷川:思い出すことも含めて、いろいろ変化している中で仕事を理解して慣れるのに精一杯でしたね。こうしたインタビューも含めて、自分がどういう風に動けばいいのかがわかっていませんでしたので。

------ you didnt seem like that (laughs)
Is that so (laughs)
----そうは見えませんでしたが(笑)。
長谷川:そうですか(笑)。

------- what has changed from 00s?
High quality of competition is what F1 is about after all, but there's token system, regulation has changed quite a bit too, and so on, so the structure has been transformed. From the body language / actions of FIA and FOM that govern F1, I got the impression that F1 is in transition in the midst of the big movement. I myself am in struggle in an effort to understand the technology and step up to next level, that's what the current situation is like.
----現場で変わったのは。
長谷川:闘いのクォリティの高さはやはりF1ですが、トークンがあるとか、レギュレーションも大きく変わって、仕組みが変化していました。F1を統括するFIAやFOMの動きかららも、F1GPが大きく動こうとしている変化途上にあるというイメージを感じました。僕自身がテクノロジーを理解して、次のステップにしなければならない、という辺りでまだまだあがいている状況ですね。

----- Are you seeing the direction that you should be heading?
At this stage we are seeing what we should do almost entirely, but we are struggling to achieve that. We need more time, as well as experience. We are seeing that all you need to do is running 100meters in 9.9sec, but we need muscle training, also we understand that you need to move legs fast. But, what's impossible is impossible (laughs)
----やるべき方向は見えていますか。
長谷川:今の段階でやるべきことはほとんどわかっているけれど、それがなかなか実現できない。時間も必要だし、経験値も必要。100mを9秒9で走ればいいことは見えているけれど、筋トレも必要だし、脚を早く動かす必要があることもわかっている。でも、できないものはできない、と(笑)。

----- But if other guys are able to do that.
That's what we think like. We understand other team's amount of muscle, size of strides so all we need to do is to achieve that, that's what we think now. However, if this target suddenly becomes 8sec, we get completely lost (laughs)
----でも、他の人ができるのなら。
長谷川:そう思っています。他チームの筋肉量も、ストライドの大きさもわかっているので、それを実現すればいい、といまは思っています。ただ、これでターゲットがいきなり8秒になっちゃうと、なにをやればいいかわからなくなる(笑)。

------- You have to proceed development by taking into consideration competitors strength/growth. After all, F1 that you returned to was F1?
Undoubtedly so. Without a question everyone is dedicating everything in themselves in order to be no.1 in terms of technology, sport and so on, which is brilliant.
----相手の力を見込んで開発を進めなければならないわけですね。改めて、戻ってみたF1はF1だったですか?
長谷川:それは間違いないですね。技術であったり、スポーツとして頂点を究めるためにみんながすべてを捧げて努力しているというのは、間違いのないところで、それは素晴しいですね。

------- the more brilliant it is the tougher it gets, but that's why it's worth challenging.
That's right. For example going through to Q3 seems to be low as a target, but everyone works hard to cut every single 0.05s in order to achieve that, such situation is truly inspiring.
----素晴らしければ素晴しいほど大変だけれど、だからこそチャレンジのしがいがある。
長谷川:そうですね。たとえばQ3に入ったとか、目標値は低いかもしれませんが、それをクリアーするために本当にみんな必死になって、コンマ05秒を削っていく状況には本当に感動しますよね。

----- That can be said to mindset of not only Hasegawa-san but also of staff at R&D and garage as well.
I think so. Motivation wise, everyone is coming in sync, I reckon.
----それは、長谷川さんご自身だけでなく、研究所や現場のスタッフも意識も。
長谷川:そうなったと思いますね。モチベーション的にかみ合ってきた、ということだと思います。

=====================================

2016年12月27日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その3
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061415.php

----- Many things have happened this year, but what was the most impressive race of the season?
That's difficult. Hmm one is Suzuka definitely. The rest, Belgium was significant too.
----いろいろあった2016年ですが、最も印象深いレースはどこだったでしょう?
長谷川:難しいですね。う~ん、ひとつは、間違いなく鈴鹿ですね。あとは、ベルギーも大きかったし。

-------- I imagine the opening race was tough in various aspects, like Alonso's accident.
True. However, I dont remember much (laughs). Before the opening race, we had an event where Alonso and Honda OZ were invited, in which Fernando and I had some chat. Despite having seldom talked with Fernando previously, I remember talking with him back then in the same way I'm talking with him right now. If that was Jenson, we have been working together closely since more than 10 years ago, so he said to me "ah, you're back!". But Fernando, he didnt even know what I was doing at all. Inside me, my sentiment towards F1 drivers are same no matter who he is, whether it's Jenson, Jacques or Takuma Sato, so I dont have such feeling like "omg it's that very Fernando!" (laughs). But since then til this very moment, it feels like everything is compressed and there's no timeline whatsoever at all (laughs).

----開幕戦はいろいろたいへんだったと思いますが。アロンソのアクシデントもあったり。
長谷川:ですね。でも、自分の中でよく覚えていないんです(笑)。開幕戦の前に、アロンソと、ホンダ・オーストラリアを招待したイベントがあって、フェルナンドと僕が二人で話をしたんですが、それまでフェルナンドとほとんど話したことがないのに、今とあまり変わらずに話しをした記憶があるんです。ジェンソンだったら、10年以上前(の第三期時代)から身近で働いていたので、"あ~、帰って来たね"と言ってくれましたが。でもフェルナンドは、僕がなにをしているのかも分らないわけなのに。自分の中では、F1ドライバーは、ジェンソン(バトン)にたいする気持ちも、ジャック(ヴィルヌーブ)も(佐藤)佐藤琢磨もみんな一緒で、あ、フェルナンド・アロンソ様だ、という感じはないんです(笑)。でも、あの辺からいまこの瞬間まで、一気にギュッとしちゃって、時系列もなになもいような感じです(笑)。

------ That means it's been such intense, or in other words so busy, hasnt it. You mentioned Suzuka, is it because it was Japan?
That too, but we exposed our car's weakness and it has become clear that we were not good to that much extent.
----それだけ濃かった、というか忙しかったということですね。鈴鹿というのは、日本だから?
長谷川:それもありますが、自分たちのクルマの弱さを露呈して、こんなにダメなんだということがハッキリしたということですね。

----- The position has become explicit, right?
We could sense that we were making steady progress and have become stronger and stronger race by race, so in that sense we were able to display solid improvement. However, as I received/exchanged email from/with Yamaguchi-san (the interviewer) on this matter before, we were not pleased with 7th anymore, also it was irritating that no matter how hard we worked, P7 was all we could get. Although I knew victory and podium would be difficult, I didnt understand well that P7 was the best position we could hope to get in the first place.
When I asked Jenson at Monaco "how about Quali?", he replied "we can do it, 7th is possible!", and I went like "(what, just) 7th?!" (laughs). At that time I didnt see any appeal/pleasure in being 7th, so. That's natural tho (laughs). In terms of the phase we should be on in 2016, we were aiming at that and I understood it, tho. But that doesnt make being 7th ok (laughs).

----ポジションが明確になった、ということですね。
長谷川:確実にステップアップして、1戦1戦強くなって行った、ということを感じられたので、その意味では、堅実な進化を見せられたとおもいます。ただ、山口さんからもメールをいただきましたが、7位で喜んでいられなくなった、というのと、どんなに頑張ってもベストポジションは7位だという実力がとても歯がゆかったですね。そもそも自分の中でも、表彰台や優勝はなかなか難しいと思っていましたが、ベストポジションが7位というのはあまり理解していなかったですね。モナコで、ジェンソンに、"予選、どう?"と訊いたら、「行ける! 7位はイケルよ!!」と言われて、"7位?!"と(笑)。その時点では、まったく7位ということに魅力を感じていなかったですからね。普通そうでしょうけど(笑)。2016年のステージとしては、そこを目指して闘っているし、理解していましたけど。だから7位でいいわけでもなく(笑)。

================================================
2016年12月30日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その4
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061423.php

------ Stoffel Vandoorne, who served substitute role for Alonso who had accident and got injured in the opening race, has done superb job that can be comparable to Button. In spite of such situation of tight schedule where his participation was decided at the last minute and he made it to the circuit just in time, he displayed amazing performance and finished at 10th, quite hard to believe it was his debut race. He will be promoted to regular next year to form combo with Alonso next year.
I'm not worried about him, he's extremely clever and calm, so I think he will be competitive, but mental aspect is important for drivers.

----開幕戦のフェルナンド・アロンソのアクシデントを受けて、代役を務めたストフェル・ヴァンドーンが、バトンもかくやの働きをしました。直前に決まってギリギリで現地入りしたタイトな状況だったにも関わらず、デビューせんとは思えない素晴しい走りで10位入賞しました。アロンソとのコンビで本格デビューしますが。
長谷川:まったく心配していないというか、非常にクレバーだし、落ち着いているので、いい闘いをしてくれると思っていますけど、ドライバーは、メンタルなものですからね。

------ Daniil Kvyat who got demoted from RBR to STR was such case.
Kvyat, and Nob (Matsushita in GP2) as well, you have performance/potential but gears didnt engage. if you get good result in the first races, thing should go in right direction. Whether or not you get good result depends on luck too.

----レッドブルからトロロッソに移籍させられたダニール・クビアトがそうでしたね。
長谷川:クビアトもそうでしたし、ノブ(GP2に参戦している松下信治)もそうでしたが、力があるのに歯車がうまくかみ合ってくれて、結果が最初に出てくれれば、きっといい方向に行くと思います。結果が出るというのは運もありますからね。

------- As for Matsushita, seeing his great performance at the final race, I wonder why he didnt show that earlier (laughs). It was like he had been hiding his true performance.
His Abu Dhabi race was fantastic. So, I want SV to get good momentum at the start. I think we must prepare the foundation for him.
----松下くんは、最終戦の圧倒的なレースを見たら、なんでもっと早くみせてくれなかったんだ、と(笑)。力を隠したかっこうになっちゃっていましたから。
長谷川:アブダビは素晴らしかったですからね。ですから、初めにうまく流れを掴んでほしいと思います。そのお膳立てを我々がしてやらなければ、と思います。

-------- Rather than dexterity of handling/operating the car, it's more about mental, I reckon. In F1 where seat is given only to national champions around the world, that you are good at driving is the premise (laughs). In that sense, Vandoorne is special, I think. Matsushita who was his teammate in 2015 GP2 said that he was impressed by Vandoorne's undaunted and composed character, and learnt a lot from hm.
Therefore, at this stage I'm not worried at all. But even tho he manage to strengthen his advantage, if he had to retire for 10 consecutive races due to mechanical trouble, even the guy like SV would find it hard to maintain composure I imagine, so we must make sure such thing wont happen.
----ハンドルの回し方が上手いかどうかじゃなくて、やっぱりメンタルですね。世界中のナショナルチャンピオンだけにシートが許されるF1トライバーなら、運転が上手いというのは当たり前だし(笑)。その意味で、ヴァンドーンは特別な人じゃないかと。2015年のGP2のチームメイトだった松下君も、ヴァンドーンはとにかく動じないし、安定した性格であることに感心して、彼からたくさんのことを学んだと言っていました。
長谷川:ですから、今のステージでは、まったく心配していないですね。そのままいいところを伸ばしてでも、そういう彼でも、メカニカルトラブルで10連続リタイアしたら、平静ではいられないと思うので、そういうことがないように、ということですね。

---------- You must live up to the expectation not only from Alonso who has lofty ambition, but also from Vandoorne, that's yet more pressure on you (laughs)
Correct.

----高い目標を持っているアロンソに応えなければならないだけでな区ヴァンドーンにも、となると、ますますプレッシャーがかかってくる(笑)。
長谷川:ですね。

====================================================

2016年12月31日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その5
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061424.php

------- This year has produced the hot topic of 18yo GP winner
Verstappen seems extraordinary, but as a whole there are not so many hot young drivers atm, I mean in around 2003 when I was at F1 the last time around, there were many young drivers who I thought were great from the very debut, like Jenson Buton, Fernando Alonso, as well as Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa and so on, so compared to that, current field feels underwhelming to me. At this moment Verstappen is the only such driver.
----今年は、18歳のウィナーの話題もありました。
長谷川:フェルスタッペンは特別感はありますが、全体として若いドライバーがいない、というか、以前僕が現場にいた2003年頃は、ジェンソン・バトンにしろ、フェルナンド・アロンソにしろ、あとはキミ・ライコネンやフィリッペ・マッサとか、始めからスゴイな、と思う若い子たちがいた気がしますが、それに比べるともうひとつという気がしています。いまは、フェルスタッペンくらいですからね。

--------- Certainly. The likes of Pascal Wehrlein, Esteban Ocon, Jolyon Palmer are bit of a let down despite the talk that they are talented.
In terms of result it's not so clear. Perhaps opportunity is too limited to few specific teams nowadays. Fisichella won in Jordan, Vettel won in STR, chances of such cases happening are getting more and more unlikely to happen. When Alonso made outstanding performance in Minardi, it was possible to sense the tremendousness.

----確かに。パスカル・ウェーレインとかエスティバン・オコン、ジュリオン・パーマーも才能はあるといわれながら成績はもう一つですね。
長谷川:結果として見えないですね。特定のチームにしかチャンスがなくなっているかもしれませんね。ジョーダンでフィジケラが優勝しちゃったとか、トロロッソでフェッテルが優勝したとか、そうしたことが起き得なくなってきていますから。アロンソがミナルディで活躍したとか、凄さを感じられましたから。

------- Maybe Merc is even more dominant than Ferrari when they were winning a lot. So about next year, we as media wouldnt like this Merc dominance to continue (laughs)
(laughs). To be honest I have no idea how it's going to be next year. One thing tho, it's quite unlikely that Merc will be weak, so put hope on Ferrari and RBR. Maybe RBR will be making an incredible car. Renault too if the engine improves. Well, I'd rather not want to do commentary on F1 (laughs). Suppose the performance gap between Merc and RBR was all down to PU, the gap will shrink no doubt, so RBR should be very strong.

----フェラーリが圧勝していた時より、さらにメルセデスが圧倒的すぎるようなことかもしれませんね。
ということで来年ですが、我々としましては、このままメルセデスの天下が続かないでほしいというか(笑)。
長谷川:(笑)。来年のことは正直わからないですね。ただ、メルセデスが弱くなるというのは考えにくいので、フェラーリとレッドブルに期待ですね。レッドブルは凄いクルマを持ってくるかもしれませんね。ルノーも、エンジンがよくなってくれば。いや、あまりF1の解説をしたくないですけど(笑)、今年のレッドブルとメルセデスの違いがもし、パワーユニットだとすると、その差は間違いなく縮まると思いますので、レッドブルはそうとうやってくるのではないかと思います。

-------- Against the top 3 positions, the rest will catch up?
Bit hard to read Ferrari tho. Maybe they will flounder on sth again, for instance. Well, I dont know (laughs)

----トップ3のポジションに対して、他が追いつく、ということでしょうか。
長谷川:フェラーリがちょっとわからないですね。なんかまた、やっちゃうんじゃないか、とか。いや、わからないですけど(笑)。

------- To look at it from another angle, judging by the fact that drivers and most personnel in the team stay put, you can say that Ferrari is in stability.
Hm, that's true.

----逆にいうと、ドライバーや関係者が動いていない、ということからするとフェラーリは安定していると見ることもできますが。
長谷川:う~ん、そうですね。

------- in extreme logic, it's all about whether you have Newey as designer or not, I feel.
Quite, I'm hearing that he's very strong in the time of big change, so that's big concern. All the front running teams except RBR will bring it to good level solidly/safely. Every time there is big reg change happening like in aero, I'm impressed by how teams end up coming very close each other in lap time like that (laughs)

----極論でいうと、デザイナーとしてニューウェイがいるかどうかで大方が決まってしまうような気がします。
長谷川:そうですね。彼は、大きな変化に非常に強いと聞いてますので、そこは凄く心配ですね。レッドブル以外の上位チームは、堅実にいいところに持ってくると思います。エアロの変化など、大きな規則変化がある度に思うんですけど、走り出してみるとタイム差がよくあんな僅差にまとめてくるな、、といつも感心していますから(笑)。

--------- As if they agreed/conspired behind the door beforehand (laughs)
Indeed (laughs). Teams come within like 0.1sec eventually. So, in terms of chassis alone, I'm not thinking there will be that huge difference. In that sense, I think Mclaren will be coming good too. Then, the situation that PU difference manifests explicitly will continue on, so big pressure on us there too.

----どこかで申し合わせをしているんじゃないかと(笑)。
長谷川:本当に(笑)。それくらい、コンマ1秒とかの中に入ってきますからね。なので、車体系だけでいうとそんなに大きなさが出るとは思っていない。そういう意味でマクラーレンもきちっとやってくれるだろう、と思います。そうすると、引き続き、パワーユニットの差が大きく出てしまうのかな、と思っているので、そこもスゴイプレッシャーーですね。

------ Another pressure yet again (laughs)
With next year's regulation, downforce will increase and tyre will get bigger, so I think dependence on PU will increase even further. So, if you have sort of deficit in PU like this year, the gap will increase more, that's obvious.

----またまたプレッシャーですね(笑)。
長谷川:来年の規則は、ダウンフォースも上がって、タイヤも大きくなるので、パワーユニットへの依存度がさらに高くなると思います。ですから、今年のようなパワーユニットの差があると、さらに大きく差が開いてしまう、ということになるのは明らかですね。

==============================================

2016年12月31日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その6
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/news/ ... 061426.php

------ Regarding PU, this year you've done all you could do in electric side of the thing and you are left behind in output and fuel efficiency of engine itself, but how about for next year?
Right now we are working hard on the very thing, so we cannot explain details about that, but we are doing our utmost on it.
----パワーユニットですが、今年は、電気の部分はやり切っていて、エンジン本体の出力と燃費の部分で差がついている、ということでしたが、来年に向けては?
長谷川:いままさにそこを必至でやっているところなので、なかなか具体的なことは申し上げられないのですが、まさにそこを頑張っています。

------- engine unit itself will be brand-new?
We reworked engine from scratch.
----エンジン本体は別のものになる?
長谷川:エンジンは全部イチからやり直しましたね。

--------- When did that work started?
Since May last season. (= May 2016)
----その作業はいつごろから?
長谷川:昨シーズンの5月からです。

------- I was contemplating that you have to prepare engine design in early stage, so you started the preparation work towards the following year from that point just as scheduled?
Right.
----エンジンを速い段階で仕込まなければ、というのは思っていたことだったので、翌年に向けての準備を予定通りそこから始めた。
長谷川:そうですね。

-------- You cannot disclose the detail yet, but in a nutshell, you started to proceed the work to catch up and overtake Merc from May (2016)?
Indeed so.

----詳細はまだお聞かせいただけないとして、要するに、メルセデスに追いつけ追い越せということで5月から進めていた、と。
長谷川:まさにそうですね。

--------- How is the feeling/prospect like at this point (interview conducted in Dec 2016)?
Well, it's tough.
----感触としては、今の段階(インタビューは2016年12月)でどんな感じでしょうか。
長谷川:いや、難しいですね。

------ It's hard to predict how rivals will be, you mean?
Yes, it's not easy at all (laughs). However we are conducting various and every things we can do towards it right now.

----相手の出方がわからない?
長谷川:ええ。そんなに簡単なもんでじゃない、ですね(笑)。ただ、そこに向けてできることは、あらゆることをやっています。

------- For example?
In simple terms, what we had not been doing until last year, like using foreign engineers, consultant, etc. Regarding consultant, we had already been doing it previously tho. But especially using engineers from overseas is significant.

----例えば?
長谷川:端的にいうと、昨年までやっていなかった、外国のエンジニアを使うとか、コンサルタントを使うとか。コンサルは前からやっていたことですが。特に海外からの人を使っている、というのは大きいですね。

--------- Regs will change dramatically. Regarding chassis, size changes a lot and there will be big change aero wise. Tyre will be fatter too, how about power unit?
It's crucial that PU number per season will be reduced to 4 from 5.
----規則が大きく変わります。車体は、サイズが大きく変わって空力的にかなりの変化になる。タイヤも太くなりますが、パワーユニットとしては?
長谷川:シーズン中に使える数が、5基から4基になるのが大きいですね。

------- What will happen when the pu number changes?
The mileage will change. It will be 20% increase, so that's massive.
----数が変わると?
長谷川:使用マイレッジが変わりますね。2割増になりますから、それは大きいです。

--------- 20% increase, how much will that make it tougher?
hmm, about 20% (laughs)
----2割増しというと、どれくらい大変になりますか?
長谷川:う~ん、2割増しくらい大変になります(笑)。

------- That's serious (laughs)
What's tough about durability the most is that it takes time for confirmation/verification process. What we could do in 10 days up till now will take 12 days from now on. Of course we conduct all those stress/strain calculations thoroughly before manufacturing, but there is safety factor to consider/secure, so you dont design it to be exactly on the limit. There, you need confirmation/verification for it. You have to do it for every single things, so.
----それはたいへんだ(笑)。
長谷川:耐久で一番大変なのは、確認に時間がかかることなんです。いままで10日でできたものが12日かかることになります。もちろん、応力計算などを徹底的に行なってから作りますが、安全率があるので、限界ピッタリにはしないわけです。そこで確認が必要になる。それを全部やらなければならなくなりますから。

---------- In order to increase durability, you thicken the components for instance, or in short you go into direction where things get heavier, but in that way you cannot compete. How do you tackle on that?
Of course you elaborate in framework, cooling, etc. Also the material is another major factor.
----耐久性を上げるなら、例えば、部材を厚くしたり、要するに重くなる方向にすると思いますが、それでは勝負にならない。どんな方向で考えるのでしょうか。
長谷川:もちろん、骨格を工夫するとか、冷却を工夫するとか。あと材料が大きいですね。

------ For example in weight reduction, when i heard like "it's got xxkg lighter", I think like oh how lazy you've been previously (laughs), but of course that's not the case and you've been cutting it to the limit exhaustively. So how do you progress work on development?
To be frank, trial and error aspect is quite significant.

----例えば軽量化で、"何kg軽くなった"というのを聞くと、いままで、手抜きだったのかと(笑)。もちろんそんなことはないわけで、それまでも徹底的に突き詰めてピンピンのところまでやっていたはずですが、どういう考え方で開発を進めるのでしょう。
長谷川:正直、試行錯誤のところが凄く大きいんです。

===========================================================

2017年1月 1日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その7
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/fact/ ... 061436.php

------ So far Honda has been accumulating many experience in F1, but there are domains you havent understood fully yet.
Not understood yet. So, pursue the limit and make even thinner than the limit, for instance. Then experiment/trial it actually, and if it turns out to be fine, then make it thinner even further, if not, make it thicker. It's about repetition of such process.
----これまでホンダはF1で多くの経験を積んできているわけですが、まだ完全にはわかっていないところがある。
長谷川:分かってないんです。なので、限界を突き詰めて、ピンピンよりさらに薄くして作ったりしていますから。で、試験してみて、実際に持っちゃったらさらに薄くする、ダメだったら厚くする、というような試行錯誤の繰り返しです。

------ Are there any recent example specifically?
As for the light weight exhaust manifold that we started using before the final race last year (2016), it got lighter by 1kg than prev one, but we got teased like, how come it has been so heavy so far (laughs). However, it was supposed to last on calculation but broken in Brazil, so we reverted back to prev version for the final race in Abu Dhabi.
----最近の例で具体的になにかありますか。
長谷川:去年の最終戦のちょっと前に使いだした軽量のエキパイは、1kg軽くなりましたが、それまでがドンだけ重かったんだ、と冗談を言われました(笑)。でも、計算上では持つはずが、ブラジルで割れたので、最終戦のアブダビでは戻しています。

----- There was no problem on design sheet.
Once manufactured and used it actually, it turned out to be over the limit. In Brazil race we were still able to finish the race with it without problem, also it was fine on calculation, but upon the fact that it has broken in Brazil FP, we reverted it back to previous version at Abu Dhabi.
----設計上は問題なかった。
長谷川:作ってみたら、無理があった。ブラジルのレースでは問題なくゴールできたし、計算上では大丈夫なんだけれど、プラクティスで割れたことを反映して、アブダビでは元に戻したんです。

------ Probably you didnt need to pull it back. Like, different load depending on track characteristics?
That as well, also there's fluctuation in quality between components of course, so it may be that the broken exhaust pipe just happened to be defected in manufacturing,. All those things included comprehensively, that's how industrial products are like.
----もしかすると戻さなくなよかった。コースの違いでのストレスのかかり方とか?
長谷川:そういうのもありますし、モノのばらつきも当然ありますから、たまたま割れたエキパイが、作りに不具合があったかもしれないし。そういうことを全部含めて、工業製品はそういうものですから。

-------- Unless you can afford to have time to verify it, you cannot use it for next time, right?
If problem occurs, we never leave it as it is, but definitely make action for measure. That's basics.
----それを確認する時間がないなら次は使えない、ということですね。
長谷川:不具合があったら、そのままにはしないで、必ずなにか手を打ちます。それが基本ですから。

------- That's how making a progress is like, I see.
"Must be luck or coincidence so just leave it" is absolutely impossible. Without exception we take measure to what has happened. Therefore, that we were 1 year late to participate in hybrid era was extremely critical.
----進化する、というのはそういうことなのですね。
長谷川:たまたまとか、偶然だから放っておこう、ということは絶対にあり得ないですね。起きたことには必ず対処する。なので、参戦がハイブリッドになってから1年遅れたのはめちゃくちゃ大きかったですね。

======================================

2017年1月 3日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--その8
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/fact/ ... 061439.php

------- Then that's how the power unit evolves and gets completed. Expect progress in Mclaren too, so objectives for 2016 was Q3, how about the next target?
In terms of what you ought to do, it's podium, but altho I want to declare it loudly, it's about something in which you have competitors to fight against and compare with, so. Besides, that you must be in this position is one thing, whether it's possible to achieve that or not is another, so (laughs).

----そうして進化したパワーユニットが完成する、と。マクラーレンも進化を期待するとして、2016年の目標は『Q3入り』でしたが、次の目標設定はできていますか?
長谷川:べき論でいうと表彰台を狙って、ということになりますが、それを声高に言いたいところですが、相手があることですから。それに、こういうところにいなくては、というのと、それが実現可能かどうかは別モノなので(笑)。

-------- The Q3 target for 2016 might have been insufficient for many fans, but I suppose it was good target setting. There are 6 cars in top 3, followed by Williams, Force India and STR. In such field, if you could come inside top 10 then that's quite decent job, so. But this year (2017) sees big rule change and top 3 positioning will be the key, i think.
That's true. So, Q3 is minimum level we must be at, also highly achievable level, I presume. Just like saying that Japan will participate in World Cup, we can do it if we work hard. However, claiming to win World Cup final is quite questionable at this stage, it's the same as that. For it's something where you compete/compare with other competitors.

----2016年の『Q3』というのは、まぁ、多くのファンにとってはもの足らなかったかもしれませんが、凄くいい設定だったと思います。トップ3で6台いて、次にウィリアムズとフォースインディア、トロロッソがいると、10位に入れたら上出来、ということでしたから。しかし、大きく規則が変わる今年、トップ3がどこにいるか、というのが問題になりますね。
長谷川:そうですね。なので、Q3は、いなければいけないレベルだし達成可能なレベルだと思います。それは、日本がワールドカップに出場します、というのと同じで、頑張ればできる。しかし、ワールドカップに優勝します、という目標を掲げるのは、今の段階で以下かなものか、というようなことですね。なにせ、相手がいる話ですから。

------- especially at the timing of big reg change like this year (2017), it's very important to predict rivals performance level.
So, rather than claiming something of fantasy, we ponder about what sort of target to set, as it's getting difficult to deduce how it will be even if we come to the level on par with rivals. It's so easy to tell what we desire to be, coz it's champion (laughs). If asked to say that, i would say as much as required, but that's not what it is about, I think.
----特に今年のように大きく規則が変わるタイミングでは、相手の力を読むことが非常に重要になります。
長谷川:なので、夢のようなことをいうのではなく、ライバルと同じレベルになったとしても、読みにくくなっているので、どういう目標を掲げるべきかな、と。ありたい姿を語るのは簡単なんです、チャンピオンですから(笑)。それを言えというならいくらでもいうんですけど、そういうことではないと思っています。

------- It's difficult isnt it
What's essential is not about what you should say, but what result you can leave. So I'm afraid to say this, but rather than opportunities like this, it's far more important to leave good result (laughs)
----難しいですね。
長谷川:大切なのは、なにをいうかではなくて、どういう結果を残すか だと思っていますから、申し訳ないですけど、この場より、結果を出すことの方がもっと大事なことだと(笑)。

------- Podium, how to express it, I wonder. It's not too easy to say you can go for P7 convincingly, but the more you get used to it, the more unsatisfactory it gets, for spectators as well.
Added to that, even if you are making good fight, you dont get TV exposure. Brazil GP race hit by heavy rain was exactly such case. Fernando made astonishing driving to climb back up to P10. We are monitoring it so we were thinking "awesome!!" while watching it, but personnel from Honda Brazil were like "it was 10th when we noticed" (laughs)

----表彰台、どう表現したらいいでしょうね。7位に行ける、というのも簡単ではないけれど、慣れてくるとだんだんもの足らなくなってきますね、観ている方も。
長谷川:あとは、酷い雨のブラジルGPもそうでしたけど、いい争いをしていても、テレビに映らないんですよね。フェルナンドがスピンしてから、怒濤の追い上げで10位間上がった。こっちは、ちゃんと観てますから、スゴイ!!と思っていましたけど、ブラジル・ホンダの人からは、気がついたら10位でしたね、と(笑)。

----------- Towards 2017, there are various moves at Mclaren, like Ron Dennis gone, Jost Capito gone, Zak Brown newly joined, etc.
To put it plainly it's no comment from me, but it's about Mclaren's organization so I dont intend to insist who is good or bad, but at least I want them to be stabilized. I'd like them to manage well.

----2017年に向けて、マクラーレンは、ロン・デニスが辞めて、ヨースト・カピトが辞めて、ザック・ブロウンが新たに加わって、といろいろ動きがありますが。
長谷川:端的にいうと、ノーコメントですが、マクラーレンの体制なので、誰がいいとか悪いとかいうつもりはありませんが、安定してほしいというのはありますね。うまくやってほしいですね。

--------- It used to be that Dennis was at the core, now Zak Brown is in that position?
No, that's clearly not the case I reckon. Brown is not CEO, so. He's in charge of marketing. Race operation is on Jonathan Neale. In that sense, I've been working with Jonathan for this past 1 year, so I'm not concerned too much regarding the operation. However, Ron-san was a fantastic person, so irrespective of Mclaren's operation and all that, non existence of Ron-san feels sad.

----デニスが核になっていましたが、ザック・ブロウンがその代わりに?
長谷川:いや、それは明確に違うと思います。ブロウンはCEOではないですから。彼はマーケティング担当です。レーシングの運営はジョナサン・ニールの受け持ちです。その意味では、ジョナサンとはこの1年一緒にやってきましたから、オペレーションに関しては大きな不安はないです。ただ、ロンさんは、素晴しい人でしたから、マクラーレンの運営ウンヌンということではなくて、ロンさんがいないというのは寂しいですね。

--------- It is talked that Ron Dennis is a person of cruelty / cold hearted, but actually he's said to be quite emotional/conscientious/sentimental.
He's an intimate person.
----ロン・デニスは、冷徹な人といわれていますが、実は、かなり浪花節の人といわれていますね。
長谷川:人間的な人ですね。

=========================================================
2017年1月 6日
ホンダF1長谷川総責任者一問一答--最終回
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/fact/ ... 061453.php

------- While curious about performance of Mclaren, how about possibility of satellite team?
It's obvious that it wont happen this year (2017), but we want to manage somehow for 2018, also we consider that we've got to do it as well.

----マクラーレンでの活躍も気になりますが、サテライトチームの話は、いかがでしょうか。
長谷川:今年はないのは明らかですが、2018年には、なんとかしたいと思っているし、なんとかしなければ、と思っています。

---------- In a sense of contributing to the sport, but also requested by teams and F1?
There's regulation about that, it was decided that the maker with the fewest supply team must supply if any team is without power unit for the next year at the point of May. So something like that should happen.

----場に貢献するという意味もあるし、チームやF1界から要請も?
長谷川:それは規則で、5月の時点で翌年のパワーユニットの供給が決まっていないチームがあれば、供給数が一番少ないメーカーが供給しなければいけない、というルールがありますから。そういうことが起きるんだろうな、と。

------- Then, if Honda makes successful campaign by that deadline, there might be moves of pretending to be without next year's PU despite actually having one in order to snatch Honda (laughs)
Team side can choose to do so if wish. Therefore, it's a state of so-called free love before the obligation become effective, so basically you want to decide by then
----となると、その期限までの間にホンダが大活躍すると、供給があるのにないことにしてホンダをなんて動きが出たり(笑)。
長谷川:チームはそれを選べちゃいますね。なので、その義務が発生する前までは、いわば自由恋愛なので、基本はそこまでに決めておきたい、と。

----------- There are rumors about Williams and Sauber, but you cannot know until the very time comes
That's right.

----ウィリアムズだとかザウバーだとか、噂が出ていますが、その時にならないとわからない。
長谷川:そういうことですね。

------- In that case, there's a possibility of Japanese driver in F1
As for 2nd team, we can inject our intention on driver selection irrespective of Mclaren. There are pros and cons in increasing the number of supply, but of course we'd like to consider the bargaining as pro, so there's good chance for it for sure.
----そうなると、日本人ドライバーの可能性が出てきます。
長谷川:セカンドチームに対しては、マクラーレンは関係なく、我々が、ドライバー決定に意志を入れられます。供給チームが増えるのはメリットとデメリットがありますが、意志を入れられることをメリットに考えたいともちろん思っていますから、その可能性はもちろんあると思いますね。

---------- Matsushita, Makino etc are waiting for the chance in the wings impatiently (laughs)
The problem is that at this moment none possesses super license. So next year they've got to acquire it no matter what (laughs).

----松下信治選手や、牧野任祐選手が手ぐすね引いて待ってます(笑)。
長谷川:問題は、今のところスーパーライセンスを持っていない、ということです。なのでなんとしても、来年は取ってくれないと(笑)。

------ There is Kamui. Right after Rosberg announced his retirement, he posted and sent CV to Merc on twitter, but I'd rather have wanted him to do it serious.
Right.

----可夢偉がいますね。ロズベルグが引退を発表した直後に、メルセデスに履歴書を送った、ツイッターにコメントしていましたが、本気でやってほしかったですね。
長谷川:ですよね。

pt.5 (of 5) of the series of article on sportiva.com site
(this time it's interview transcript article, session conducted at Aoyama HQ on 21 Dec 2016)

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... 017_split/

----- How is the PU development for 2017 going on?
2017 PU has changed a lot from the prev units both concept wise and packaging wise. I'm convinced that what we are doing is correct, but we are experiencing difficulties and it hasnt been completed yet. That it's not finished yet at this point is considerably severe, and we as a whole team are feeling pressure too.
However, compared to 2016 where we didnt know what to do and had no idea what we should do, now at least we believe it will be quite competitive if what we are trying to make now can be completed, so the rest is about whether we can make it in time or not.

―― 2017年シーズンに向けて、まずパワーユニットの開発状況はいかがでしょうか?
「2017年のパワーユニットは、コンセプトもパッケージも昨年までとは大きく変化しています。やっていることは正しいと確信していますが、なかなか苦労していてまだ完成していません。この時期に完成していないというのは相当厳しいですし、チーム全体としてもプレッシャーを感じています。
 ただ、少なくともやるべきことがわからなくて、どうすればいいかわからなかった2016年に比べれば、我々が今、作ろうとしているものが完成すれば、かなり競争力の高いものができると思っていますし、あとはそれがちゃんと開幕に間に合うかどうかということです」

------- Regarding chassis as well, you were forced to struggle due to correlation errors in simulation etc last year, but is 2017 machine alright?
As a matter of fact, I have no idea (laughs). But I trust the team in McLaren, and think it will be solid at least. As for sudden huge improvement at the timing of big reg change like this year, RBR is a concern among others (laughs). Mclaren is solid for good and bad, so I dont think they will fail big time, but at the same time sth like "it's suddenly got better a lot!" wont happen either, I imagine.

―― 車体のほうも昨年はシミュレーションの誤差などが原因で苦戦を強いられましたが、2017年型マシンは大丈夫でしょうか?
「事実として、わからないです(苦笑)。ただ僕は、マクラーレンというチームを信頼していますし、堅実にはできてくるんじゃないかとは思っています。レギュレーションが大きく変わる今年のようなときに、どえらくよくなっちゃうというのは、レッドブルなんかが心配ですね(苦笑)。マクラーレンはよくも悪くも堅実ですから、大きく外すということはないと思っていますけど、『思ったより、どえらくよくなっちゃったよ!』っていうこともないのかなぁと思います」

------- Regarding the PU development, since when have you started development work for 2017?
To be frank, we knew we wouldn't be able to catch up Mercedes at the early stage already. We identified that we ought to review framework of ICE fundamentally in order to surpass them.
Therefore, you have to start the preparation process for 2017 from early stage, so we've initiated the project with detached task force in post holiday period in May last year already (which is like 10th May). I also thought we might want to shift focus towards that earlier, but it is also necessary to leave result steadily race by race in front of you, that's what we are competing for, so finding appropriate balance/proportion b/w the two was very difficult.

―― パワーユニットの開発については、いつごろから2017年型の開発を進めてきたのですか?
「正直言うと、2016年にメルセデスAMGには追いつけないなというのは早い段階でわかっていました。もっと抜本的にICE(内燃機関エンジン)の骨格から見直して凌駕するものにしなければならないことがわかったからです。
 ですから、来季に向けた仕込みは早い段階から進めなければならないということで、昨年5月の連休明けには2017年に向けて別動チームでの作業をスタートしていました。もっと早くそちらに(開発リソースの主眼を)シフトしなきゃいけないなと思ったんですが、目の前の1戦1戦で確実に結果を出すことも必要ですし、そのために我々は戦っているわけですから。そのバランスは非常に難しかったですね」

--------- You didnt reach an idea of stopping 2016 development quickly and focusing on 2017, like Renault?
hmm, why did I not do that way... If you gave up on 2016 completely, that might have been one possible approach to take for sure, but that's disrespectful to drivers, discourteous to fans who are watching/cheering us, also it's important to give it your best in the race one by one in front of you too. For us we sure have different perspective/conception like technology evolution and development from the longer tem point of view, but drivers are fighting with their lives at stakes, so we are responsible for introducing what's best at the point at least, I reckon.
―― ルノーのように2016年型の開発は早々に打ち切って、2017年型に集中しようという考え方にはならなかった?
「う~ん、なんでそうしなかったのか……。本当に2016年を完全に捨ててしまえばそういう考え方もあったのかもしれませんけど、それはドライバーたちに失礼ですし、見てくださっている方にも失礼ですし、目の前の1戦1戦でベストを尽くすことも重要だと思います。僕らにとっては、技術進化とか長期スパンで見た開発という考え方もありますけど、ドライバーは命をかけて戦っているわけですし、我々としても、少なくともその時点でのベストなものを投入する責任があると思っています」

--------- As you explained while ago, fundamentally different technologies like semi-HCCI is necessary in order to catch up with Merc and Ferrari, right?
I think so. I cannot disclose what sort of technology in specifics yet, but we have researched and considered all those new technologies being talked about publicly. Last May, we discussed possibility of "why not put 2017 development at the core and introduce what can be used for 2016 from there", but we reached the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to make it in time that way.
―― 先ほどおっしゃったように、2017年にメルセデスAMGやフェラーリに追いつくためにはセミHCCI(予混合圧縮着火)のような抜本的に異なる技術が必要ということですよね?
「そう思います。具体的にどんな技術かということはまだ申し上げられませんけど、世間で言われているような新技術は、すべて実際に研究検討しました。昨年5月の連休明けには『2017年用の開発を中心にして、そこから使えるものを2016年型に投入しようよ』という話もしたのですが、さすがにそれはとても間に合わないという判断に至りました」

--------- as an organization, do you think you are getting ready for challenging the top?
Still long way to go. As for what we are not able to do, the issue of time restraints that we were late for the start was the most significant. Therefore, I didst think like we are lacking sth fundamental as a team, so it's about whether or not we possess the capability to recover and compensate the time handicap, and how we can achieve that quickly, that was the question. It's not that you are inappropriate/insufficient as an F1 team, but rather, elements like technology, human resource, time and budget are still far from enough in order to break through this situation/limitation.

―― チーム組織としては、トップに挑戦するための準備は整ってきているとお考えですか?
「まだまだです。我々ができていないところというのは、(他メーカーに比べて開発の)スタートが遅かったという時間的な問題が一番大きかったんです。ですから、チームとして根本的に何かが足りないとかいうふうには思わなかったし、時間が足りないのをキャッチアップできる力があるかどうかということ、そしていかに速くそれをできるかということが問題でした。F1チームとして適切ではないということではなくて、この(準備期間の短さゆえに後れを取っているという)状況を打開するためには、技術もそうですし、人もそうですし、時間も予算もまだまだ足りないということです」

--------- You have capability/potential itself for that as an organization, but you need something extraordinary in order to catch up in the limited timeframe, right?
That's correct. That's what's difficult about it. Of course sky is the limit if you start demanding, but time, budget, staff....maybe a genius is what I want the most (laughs). We are conducting development at a pace faster than ordinary, also certainly the speed of our progress is faster than that of Merc's, I reckon. I hear that they had been developing for like 4 years prior to entering 2014. But we have to overtake this gap in a breath, so you need someone like this (mimicking Usain Bolt) in order for that.
The gap is closing gradually, and while I'm pleased with fans comment of "it's getting better isn't it", we've got to join the battlefield front after all. Otherwise there is no point in doing. We must be faster by 2 sec in order for that. That's how F1 is like...It would be severe if we continued plodding it steadily like this, I think.

―― 組織としてはその力はあるけど、限られた時間のなかで追いつくためには、何か大きなものが必要ということですね。
「そうですね、それが苦しいところですね。もちろん、言い出したらキリがないんですが、時間も予算も人も……天才が一番ほしいかな(苦笑)。我々は普通のスピード以上の速さで開発をしていますし、メルセデスAMGよりも明らかに進化の速度は速いと思います。彼らは2014年を迎える前に4年間なり開発していたと聞いています。しかしこの差を一気に抜き去らなきゃいけないわけで、そのためにはこういう人(ウサイン・ボルトの真似をする)が必要ですよ。
 ジワジワと差は縮まっているし、『よくなってきてるよね』というみなさんからの声はうれしいですけど、やっぱり戦える場に行かないと。そうじゃなきゃ、やっている意味がありませんから。そのためにはまだ2秒速くならなきゃいけない。そういう世界ですからね……。このままコツコツやっていたんじゃ、厳しいなと思いますよ」

------- You said it's hard to imagine that the car will be suddenly better dramatically, but then, this year (2016)'s target was regular Q3, so realistic target for next year (2017) will be podium?
Right, we should aim at that I think. At this very stage I can no way declare "we can get podium", but we are putting up that level as a target.

―― マシンがいきなり飛び抜けてよくなることは想像しにくいということでしたが、そうなると、今季がQ3のレギュラー定着でしたから、来季の現実的な目標としては表彰台というところになるのでしょうか。
「そうですね、そこを狙うべきだと思います。今の段階で『表彰台を獲れます』とはとても言えませんけど、そのレベルを目標として掲げています」

---- Realistically speaking, is it hard to catch up with Merc all of a sudden?
No, I don't think it's like that. However, what's uncertain the most is how much they will be advancing. Regarding PU, I think we can catch up with them as long as what's in development right now goes well. But, if they make bigger progress from current level beyond estimation, the gap will widen again, so.
In 2016 Merc alone was too predominant, to the extend that they finished the race at 1-2 irrespective of quali/grid position. Ferrari and RBR too, they had no worry of being threatened by others as long as running normally, so top 3 was head and shoulders above the rest. You've got to resolve that situation, otherwise it's boring (laughs).
But I suppose the gap should shrink there, and I think we must make the gap such that it would be not easy for them to recover once make a mistake even if it's one of top 3 teams. But you cannot know what it will be until you take the lid off, and it's more difficult than usual to make prediction for 2017 (laughs)

―― 現実的に考えると、いきなりメルセデスAMGに追いつくというのは難しいのでしょうか?
「いや、そんなことはないと思います。ただ、一番わからないのは、彼らがどのくらい進化してくるかということです。PU(パワーユニット)に関して言えば、今開発しているものがちゃんとうまくいけば、彼らに追いつけると思います。ただ、彼らが今のレベルから想定以上に大きく進化してしまうと、また差が広がってしまいますから。
 2016年はメルセデスAMGだけが飛び抜け過ぎていて、予選(グリッド)でどこにいたって決勝はワンツーフィニッシュという状況でした。フェラーリやレッドブルも普通に走っていれば他に食われることはなくて、3強チームだけが大きく先行していました。その状況はなんとか打開しないと、つまらないですよね(苦笑)。
 ただ、そこの差は縮まると思いますし、3強チームであってもひとつ失敗をすれば、挽回することはそう簡単ではないというくらいの差にはしていかないといけないと思っています。こればかりはフタを開けてみなければわかりませんし、2017年は例年以上に予想が難しいですよね」

----- Fans as well, they'd like to see overwhelming speed and strength like in 2nd activity phase (80s/90s) and have this sense of "Honda is awesome after all", I imagine.
Yes, I think that way as well, and I'd like to show that. But in the 2nd period too, it wasn't that we won in F1 from the beginning, but accumulated one by one taking a lot of time and starting from F2. We had a lot of preparation period compared to other makers.
Meanwhile we as of now are not yet at the stage where we can say "this way there is absolutely no chance we get beaten". As the saying goes, "you can win by luck but there is always good reason when you lose", so you must crush the reasons for losing, and there are still hefty amount of reasons to lose in both PU and chassis. If those reasons for defeat disappear altogether, you can win.

―― ファンの人たちとしても、第2期の時のような圧倒的な速さと強さで、『ホンダってやっぱりすごいよね』っていうのを見たいんだと思うんですよね。

「はい、僕もそう思いますし、それをお見せしたいと思っています。でも、第2期のときだってF1でいきなり勝ったわけではなくて、F2から始めてすごく時間をかけて積み重ねていったんですね。他社に対して圧倒的な準備期間があったんです。
 逆に今の我々はまだ、『これなら絶対に負けないよね』と言える段階ではない。『勝つのはたまたま勝つことはあっても、負けるには負ける理由がある』ってよく言うんですけど、その負ける理由を潰していかなければならないし、PUも車体もまだまだ負ける理由はいっぱいあるんです(苦笑)。その負ける理由が全部なくなれば勝てますよ」

----------- You explained that it's essential to get back the shortage of time as soon as possible, so where do you Hasegawa-san set/see the target for that?
I'm not seeing it at all yet (laughs). You cannot see the 6th station post unless you go to 5th station (half way to the summit of mountain) first, you cannot see 7th station unless you go to 6th station first, so.

―― 遅れている時間を少しでも早く取り戻すことが必要だというお話でしたが、長谷川さんのなかで今、その目標はどのあたりに見えていますか?
「いや、まだ全然見えてないですよ(苦笑)。五合目に行かないと六合目は見えないし、六合目に行かないと七合目は見えないものですから」

---- At the moment which station you are at?
Currently at about 5th station, I think (laughs)
―― 今は何合目くらいなんですか?
「今はまだ、五合目くらいじゃないですかね(苦笑)」

------- Looking forward to seeing you standing on top
Indeed so. We must stand on the summit. Claiming the final/ultimate target is easy, champion. No need to hide that at all.
At this moment I'm feeling we are supported by all the fans, and receiving warm words of "well, you are making good fight" by sharing process of growth and evolution, but if it continued this for 5 more years, 10 more years, then we'd get told off like "you xxxx, cut it out", so (laughs). We've got to do it before it turns out to be like that, I think.

―― 山頂に立つのが楽しみです。
「本当ですね。山頂に立たないと。最終目標を申し上げるのは簡単ですよね、チャンピオンです。それを隠す必要はないですから。
 今の段階ではファンのみなさんに応援していただいていると感じていますし、成長と進化の過程を共有して、『まぁ、がんばっているよね』と言っていただいていると感じていますが、これが5年10年続いたら、さすがに『お前ら、いい加減にしろよ』って言われちゃいますからね(苦笑)。そうなる前にはなんとかしないといけないと思っています」
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Well, when everything goes according to schedule, nothing can go according to plan.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

I thought the Sauber or Manor could have a engine Honda (2018). But, Hass Acura? Seems like a good idea. 8)

http://www.nextgen-auto.com/Haas-F1-ave ... 12756.html

FrukostScones

sounds epic, I hope hey succeed.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FW17

HPD wrote:I thought the Sauber or Manor could have a engine Honda (2018). But, Hass Acura? Seems like a good idea. 8)

Are not these closer than Accura?

GhostF1

FW17 wrote:
HPD wrote:I thought the Sauber or Manor could have a engine Honda (2018). But, Hass Acura? Seems like a good idea. 8)

Are not these closer than Accura?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... o_2010.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... r-2011.png
Haha, I get where you're coming from but if I'm honest. I always get the impression Dodge/Chrysler always leap at the chance to mention the Ferrari link, rubbish like "the new Viper used Ferrari techniques during development" blah blah, while Ferrari would prefer they keep their connection to the Americans as secret as possible ...
Also you could argue Acura is actually just Honda so they'd likely love the idea, while Dodge/Chrysler are just distant relatives through an odd marriage to Ferrari through FCA.

PlatinumZealot

Can't imagine Ferrari selling their parts to Haas when the car is powered by a Honda engine!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Craigy

PlatinumZealot wrote:Can't imagine Ferrari selling their parts to Haas when the car is powered by a Honda engine!
From a commercial perspective it doesn't really matter, but from a "the way Ferrari deal with politics in F1 and keep their supplied teams on a short leash" it really does.

Whoever gets a Honda engine is likely to need to either buy McLaren gearboxes or make their own too.

taperoo2k

Depends on when Hass technical agreements are up with Ferrari. If it's fairly soon, then they can switch to Honda and likely get supplied by McLaren with gearboxes and so on. Honda supplying a second team will be useful in terms of being able to compare and contrast McLaren's chassis with Hass or whomever Honda ends up supplying.

wuzak

taperoo2k wrote:Depends on when Hass technical agreements are up with Ferrari. If it's fairly soon, then they can switch to Honda and likely get supplied by McLaren with gearboxes and so on. Honda supplying a second team will be useful in terms of being able to compare and contrast McLaren's chassis with Hass or whomever Honda ends up supplying.
I can't see why Haas would even contemplate switching to Honda.

Their deal with Ferrari is much closer than Sauber's.

taperoo2k

wuzak wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:Depends on when Hass technical agreements are up with Ferrari. If it's fairly soon, then they can switch to Honda and likely get supplied by McLaren with gearboxes and so on. Honda supplying a second team will be useful in terms of being able to compare and contrast McLaren's chassis with Hass or whomever Honda ends up supplying.
I can't see why Haas would even contemplate switching to Honda.

Their deal with Ferrari is much closer than Sauber's.
It depends on how the deal with Ferrari is structured, and it looks as though Sergio Marchionne wants a feeder team for Ferrari young driver scheme similar to Red Bull's (that's the impression I get). Likely under an Alfa Remo brand. That may not be in Hass best interests long term, with Liberty media incoming and wanting to expand F1 in the US, Hass switching to Honda might make sense. Honda really do need to be supplying more teams, they will get on top of the PU problems eventually. With Ron out of McLaren, the team might be more receptive to Honda supplying other teams. A bit off topic, but F1 needs an American race team doing well to help expand the sport.

diffuser

I don't think HAAS is ready to go it alone after 1 year, maybe after 3 years.

taperoo2k

diffuser wrote:I don't think HAAS is ready to go it alone after 1 year, maybe after 3 years.
They won't be going it alone for a while yet. Doesn't mean they won't look at other PU options.

FW17

While the engine gets better Mclaren will demand it being exclusive.

Joseki

Found on Twitter. Hopefully the Castrol fuel it's as good as it need to be.