Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

To be quite frank it looks as if both engine and chassis are currently in egg stage, nowhere close to exploiting what the rules envisioned, or frankly possible. Developing the combustion concept rests on hardware limitations, as the hardware is improved, the combustion concept will follow. The hardware is a direct result of the understanding of the desired process, in other words the hardware follows the mind. The mind moves much faster than reality, so in order to see if their concept is correct requires the hardware to catch up with the mind so to speak.

The basic concept is limited by an instability inherent in the combustion process, namely that for things to happen exactly when you want, you have to make a series of predictions over processes we don't really understand too well. So in order to avoid the damaging aspects of this instability, you allow yourself a greater margin of error but at the same time this margin lowers your energy output tremendously. It lowers the frequency and increases resonant energy in the system in general.

In order to solve all these problems, more fine control over the process is needed to maximize power output, raise overall system frequency. Better control comes from better hardware, built from understanding and experimenting with the process. Chassis is similar, it seems like this is not it's final form, probably the result of not having a mule car to test with during the Pirelli fat tire tests.
Saishū kōnā

ncassi22
ncassi22

ollandos wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 20:46
after 2 years with race data and knowledge..honda prepare with 1 year work this pu from 2017 ... :o ..100%unacceptable situation ...for know they want 2 months for update...but there is no time ?..and how big step can be this update ?...the season its over from the start ...they must found over 120hp power and 100% reliability...
Oy vey. The deficit is not 120hp. That would mean Mercedes/Ferrari have gained more than 100hp since 2016. They haven't. It'd be more entitled to go with Glens estimate of +-60hp. Still alot, but why be hyperbolic for no reason?

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Del Boy
Del Boy

Hondas problems regarding vibrations appear to be a direct result of no dynamic test rig. I believe Renault don't have one either and Red Bull installed one last year when the relationship nearly broke and the RB engines were rebranded TAG! So are McLaren going to go down that road? It's strange that Honda must know about the vibration issues with CVCC (tji is the Ferrari name) engines as they invented them.
And why are they cutting cylinders to keep the turbine spooled up? Surely this is the whole point of the MGUH!! Or have have I missed something.

ncassi22
ncassi22

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 22:28
Need i said more?

https://twitter.com/LupionGP/status/846031997185282050
Which is the same as the 2016 Ferrari.

maguetox
maguetox

GoranF1 wrote:
Need i said more?

And Vandorme is 16 kph faster than Alonso. So what's your point? Is Vandorme engine have 60 hp more than Alonso's?

fausto cedros

maguetox wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 22:53
GoranF1 wrote:
Need i said more?

And Vandorme is 16 kph faster than Alonso.
If we assume Vandoorne as a reference, i'd say that a more reasonable guess stands in between 60 and 90, for what it's worth. The matter is, if you have to cut the engine that much while changing gears, you will not be able to profit of your peak power whatever it is, let alone the consumption management. To me this kind of running is more useful to mcl ( getting to know the chassis) than Honda, that maybe would rather need to run the thing full steam and see when and how it breaks.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

tom101
tom101

They must run lower downforce to avoid been overtaken easily

As last years

amho

Many of you guys have mentioned that someteams consume oil in chamber as a fuel to gain extra power but I have another idea, do you think that they potentialy use oil in chamber in order to stabilize tji cobustion and as a kind of knock preventive additive?is it possible?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

scarbs
scarbs

It certainly can...

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

Exhaust fumes in the Melbourne pitlane were almost as identifiable as exhaust notes.

hurril
hurril

scarbs wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 01:41
It certainly can...

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

Exhaust fumes in the Melbourne pitlane were almost as identifiable as exhaust notes.
In what way? You can totally tell which car is which based solely on their exhausts smell?

scarbs
scarbs

Yes!
Ferrari - paraffin
Renault - burnt oil
Mercedes - sweet
Honda - by exception - no obvious smell

Singabule
Singabule

scarbs wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:08
Yes!
Ferrari - paraffin
Renault - burnt oil
Mercedes - sweet
So, only honda not 'cheating' with its oil then

Singabule
Singabule

godlameroso wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 19:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 19:44
glenntws wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 18:36
Regarding the picture of the "inlet area": The gold mantled carbon pipe is the outlet of the compressor. The actuator in front of the compressor has to be a regulator for vairbale vane geometry. The lack of any additional piping and the fact, that you can see a pivoting-mechanism around the pipe indicates that.

I'm not a big expert in this area and as far as I know, variable Stators have only come in effective use in axial compressors, but it could be possible that the improve end pressure in lower revs to overcome a part of the turbo-lag by slowing down the air and induce a higher pressure, which isn't so good for efficiency, but it definetly improves power in lower massflow areas and by that reduces the need for ERS power.

Nope variable stators are also widely used on centrifugal blowers and compressors. Even common ones.

I don't think variable geometry is allowed on the compressor though but I will have to check the wording of the rules to be sure.
5.9.1 With the exception of devices needed for control of pressure charging systems, variable geometry exhaust systems are not permitted. No form of variable geometry turbine (VGT) or variable nozzle turbine (VNT) or any device to adjust the gas throat section at the inlet to the turbine wheel is permitted.

Seems that the VGT or VNT are not allowed on the exhaust turbine, but there is nothing mentioned regarding the compressor, other than it being a sole single stage compressor.

5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor...
Thats why limited space on Last year engine hampers them so much. And thats why everybody create pancake style compressor imo

ncassi22
ncassi22

scarbs wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 03:08
Yes!
Ferrari - paraffin
Renault - burnt oil
Mercedes - sweet
Good nose :shock: Are all the Renault's running the same fuel or is it split between Esso for RB and Castrol for Renault/STR?