Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Joseki

Re: Honda Power Unit

diffuser wrote:So If I'm Dietrich......I walk into that meeting and I say ... You want 4 cars ...I have 4 cars ..I want the mcLaren deal. Drop McLaren, they can go to Renault.

It's good buisness

You're only stupid or insane if you don't ask.
Honda is probably as locked as McLaren is with the contract they both signed, it won't happen unless they want to pay astronomical amounts of money for the switch.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:06
Pretty soon RB will be stuck with the worst engine on the grid.
Based on?

gofast182

Joseki wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:02
diffuser wrote:So If I'm Dietrich......I walk into that meeting and I say ... You want 4 cars ...I have 4 cars ..I want the mcLaren deal. Drop McLaren, they can go to Renault.

It's good buisness

Honda is probably as locked as McLaren is with the contract they both signed, it won't happen unless they want to pay astronomical amounts of money for the switch.

Honda are coming good with their engine, developing at a pace other suppliers could only hope for (understanding Honda does have more scope to improve). They're gaining on Red Bull with at least one more significant engine update coming this year. McLaren would also maintain 'works' status which is key if they're serious about getting to a winning position. I'm not seeing many cons here.

godlameroso

RedNEO wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:54
godlameroso wrote:
Based on?
Factors that matter.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

There goes the chart before the horse again.

I think there is hope but we're well before a "fait accompli".

Redragon

gofast182 wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:55
Joseki wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:02

It's good buisness

Honda are coming good with their engine, developing at a pace other suppliers could only hope for (understanding Honda does have more scope to improve). They're gaining on Red Bull with at least one more significant engine update coming this year. McLaren would also maintain 'works' status which is key if they're serious about getting to a winning position. I'm not seeing many cons here.
There are 2 or 3 updates planned between between Spa and Abu Dabhi

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 20:08
RedNEO wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Based on?
Factors that matter.
Hope? Faith? Charity?

bill shoe

diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 13:24
Yes yes yes. More severe demands have been made in the paddock, and on occasion they've been granted. Only because someone had the balls to ask for it.

PlatinumZealot

Honda has absolutely nothing to gain by giving toro rosso free engines and cash. It is a big marketing banner for redbull cola and redbull drivers. No value to be gained with the terms that Helmut tried to enforce. Sauber was a better team to give free engines to. Honda driver in the team. Bigger brand exposure. More in it for Honda.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ncassi22

I wonder how far along Honda got in terms of upping resources to supply another team? Staff, supplier time lines etc.

godlameroso

wuzak wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 01:05
godlameroso wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 20:08
RedNEO wrote:

Based on?
Factors that matter.
Hope? Faith? Charity?
Dedication, investment, hard work, and the right people, most likely. Maybe a little prayer is involved, but that's irrelevant you'll see how things end up.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 02:57
Honda has absolutely nothing to gain by giving toro rosso free engines and cash. It is a big marketing banner for redbull cola and redbull drivers. No value to be gained with the terms that Helmut tried to enforce. Sauber was a better team to give free engines to. Honda driver in the team. Bigger brand exposure. More in it for Honda.
You're making an assumption that RBR wasn't on the table. RBR + STR for McLaren might be something Honda would go for. For all we know, Honda just couldn't get out of the agreement with McLaren.

At any rate it is History.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 14:47
diffuser wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 13:24
So If I'm Dietrich......I walk into that meeting and I say ... You want 4 cars ...I have 4 cars ..I want the mcLaren deal. Drop McLaren, they can go to Renault.

It's good buisness

No I think Dietrich would ask himself why on Earth he would want the worst engine just for a "works deal". Hell even McLaren don't want it.
So i know you used the term "worst" cause it makes Honda's PU sound weaker. You can have easily have used 4th Best! Regardless, it doesn't change the fact we see lots of progress in the Honda PU with many new SPECs to come.

Renault has come out and said they messed up the redesign and are having to redesign the redesign. There will be nothing till next year.

GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 02:35
http://i.imgur.com/NJjF4ku.jpg

For your entertainment.

Looks like Honda went from ~958hp to ~970
Renault 980 - 994
Mercedes 990 - 1010
Ferrari 983 - 1006

I don't expect this to be very accurate, but if it is the differences don't seem that great, and if Honda's updates materialize they could become competitive as a 30hp improvement would put them at 1,000hp which would be a big achievement for this year, in my opinion.
Andrew Benson just told me Mclaren staff highly disagress whit this chart.

What is the source?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 21:18
godlameroso wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 02:35
http://i.imgur.com/NJjF4ku.jpg

For your entertainment.

Looks like Honda went from ~958hp to ~970
Renault 980 - 994
Mercedes 990 - 1010
Ferrari 983 - 1006

I don't expect this to be very accurate, but if it is the differences don't seem that great, and if Honda's updates materialize they could become competitive as a 30hp improvement would put them at 1,000hp which would be a big achievement for this year, in my opinion.
Andrew Benson just told me Mclaren staff highly disagress whit this chart.

What is the source?
http://www.formula1benzing.eu/

I don't think it's accurate either, that's why my first sentence was "I don't expect this to be very accurate"
Saishū kōnā