Turbo idea for 2012

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
majicmeow
majicmeow

Re: Turbo idea for 2012

The transmission would be hell... gearing it high enough to produce usable boost (compressor RPM) would cause either terrible lag at low speeds or compressor stall/overboost at high speeds, unless I'm mistaken..

If it's geared to produce maximum boost at 10-14000rpm, you'd essentially have no boost below that and would otherwise be wasting engine power just spinning it (as a conventional supercharger) therefor proving to be completley counter-productive in an F1 engine...

OR

You gear it so that you have maximum boost in the low revs (6-10000rpm) and then run into stall or overboosting at high revs.

Just how I see the situation...

wuzak
wuzak

majicmeow wrote:The transmission would be hell... gearing it high enough to produce usable boost (compressor RPM) would cause either terrible lag at low speeds or compressor stall/overboost at high speeds, unless I'm mistaken..

If it's geared to produce maximum boost at 10-14000rpm, you'd essentially have no boost below that and would otherwise be wasting engine power just spinning it (as a conventional supercharger) therefor proving to be completley counter-productive in an F1 engine...

OR

You gear it so that you have maximum boost in the low revs (6-10000rpm) and then run into stall or overboosting at high revs.

Just how I see the situation...
There's a wonderful invention out now - it's called a CVT - continuously variable transmission. With a CVT you could have full control over the air flow and boost.

neilbah
neilbah

so can we somehow over spin the turbo with electric motor or transmission coupled with cvt and clutch and make use of the excess air for another purpose or is this a waste of energy? recirculation? use wategates somehow for trick exhausts? i expect there is a restriction on inlet size? turbo lag isnt really a problem these days is it? im expecting alot of innovation but i havent read the rules yet...are we still having kers? can we combine all of these things together inline with the crank for example? just thinking inside the box..