Engine efficiency, now and then

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
riff_raff

Re: Engine efficiency, now and then

I have a printout of a dyno sweep of the '91 F1 Lambo V12 at WOT. Peak power was 660hp @ 13,500rpm, peak torque was 370Nm @ 11,000rpm. BSFC @ peak power was 227 g/hp-hr (.500 lb/hp-hr) and @ peak torque was 222 g/hp-hr (.489 lb/hp-hr). If you assume gasoline fuel with a heat value of 18,700 Btu/lb that's a BTE of around 27% at max power. Not too bad for a high rpm race engine using 2 decade old fuel and ignition control technology.

I also have a paper on the '91 Mazda R26B 4-rotor LeMans engine. It shows a BSFC of 305 g/kW-hr at max power of 515kW @ 9,000rpm. Another paper I have on the '90 Mercedes M119 Group C engine shows a BSFC of 258 g/kW-hr at max power of 580kW @ 7000rpm, and a best BSFC of 235 g/kW-hr at 340kW @ 4000rpm (WOT). The Mazda engine was N/A and the Merc was turbocharged.

I'm sure modern F1 engines have BTE's well above 30% given the advanced state of fuel and ignition control technology.

Regards,
riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Tommy Cookers

good solid information !

the Matra is presumably on a rich mixture ? ( looks good, but on F1 fuel having somewhat higher heat/gm than normal fuel ?)

the other two I guess are on a near-stoichiometric mixture ? , and seem less impressive, even considering the fuel

I found 0.32 lb/hp-hr for an unsupercharged race Napier Lion (not to be believed)
and the famous 0.38 for the Wright Turbo-Compound to be at a favourable point in cruise operation (power control by mixture leaning and massflow limiting by loading (from prop pitch and recovery turbine) to around 1500 rpm without throttling?)

massflow control by modulation of electric load on turbine etc to match constant fuel rate might be useful in a 2014 engine

modern F1 engines have the highest ever volumetric efficiency combined with the highest ever compression ratio eg 14:1
17500 rpm discourages detonation and IMO dissociation (a chemical effect similar to slowing combustion)
F1 fuel IMO also discourages detonation and dissociation (and even friction, they claim)
relative to power the friction is low (piston speed not excessive due to short stroke)

so efficiency must be very good (when on fuel-saving mixture) ?

olefud

riff_raff wrote:I have a printout of a dyno sweep of the '91 F1 Lambo V12 at WOT. Peak power was 660hp @ 13,500rpm, peak torque was 370Nm @ 11,000rpm. BSFC @ peak power was 227 g/hp-hr (.500 lb/hp-hr) and @ peak torque was 222 g/hp-hr (.489 lb/hp-hr). If you assume gasoline fuel with a heat value of 18,700 Btu/lb that's a BTE of around 27% at max power. Not too bad for a high rpm race engine using 2 decade old fuel and ignition control technology.

I also have a paper on the '91 Mazda R26B 4-rotor LeMans engine. It shows a BSFC of 305 g/kW-hr at max power of 515kW @ 9,000rpm. Another paper I have on the '90 Mercedes M119 Group C engine shows a BSFC of 258 g/kW-hr at max power of 580kW @ 7000rpm, and a best BSFC of 235 g/kW-hr at 340kW @ 4000rpm (WOT). The Mazda engine was N/A and the Merc was turbocharged.

I'm sure modern F1 engines have BTE's well above 30% given the advanced state of fuel and ignition control technology.

Regards,
riff_raff
The Wankel is out of its league for power efficiency. It might look better on power per unit mass.

riff_raff

olefud wrote:The Wankel is out of its league for power efficiency. It might look better on power per unit mass.
olefud,

I agree, the Wankel is compact and lightweight, but has relatively poor BTE. Even though the Merc and Mazda engines were not F1 powerplants they were still dedicated race engine designs from the same time period, so I included them for comparison. I found it interesting that even a relatively "poor" F1 engine design like the Lambo V12 had better thermal efficiency than the best sports car engines of that period.

Regards,
riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Edis

riff_raff wrote:
olefud wrote:The Wankel is out of its league for power efficiency. It might look better on power per unit mass.
olefud,

I agree, the Wankel is compact and lightweight, but has relatively poor BTE. Even though the Merc and Mazda engines were not F1 powerplants they were still dedicated race engine designs from the same time period, so I included them for comparison. I found it interesting that even a relatively "poor" F1 engine design like the Lambo V12 had better thermal efficiency than the best sports car engines of that period.

Regards,
riff_raff
The R26B rotary was at 180 kg not especially lightweight compared to other Le Mans engines of the same era.

Also, 227 g/hp-hr is 309 g/kWh and 222 g/hp-hr is 302 g/kWh; so the Lambo V12 was significantly worse than the Mercedes M119 and slightly worse than the R26B in terms of fuel efficiency. These numbers also compares well to the official numbers of the Honda RA168E turbocharged formula 1 engine of 1988; the RA168E achieved a low figure of 272 g/kWh in "economy mode" at 12 000 rpm, about 280 g/kWh at peak power speed and between approx. 300 and 272 g/kWh at full load between 7000 and 13 000 rpm. Given an energy density of 41.07 MJ/kg for the Honda race fuel the maximum efficiency was 32.2%. I would suspect that the racefuel used by the other racing engines was more energy dense. Even with a more energy dense fuel the Mercedes figure of 235 g/kWh would translate into an quite impressive brake thermal efficiency figure of 35.5%. That's not far behind say the Atkinson cycle engine found in Toyota Prius.

I would also not expect current F1 engines to beat the best engine above in terms of efficiency. Since F1 engines are still indirect injected not that much have happened since the eighties with regard to fuel and ignition control that can improve efficiency. Map based control of ignition and fuel have been used since the early eighties. Given the higher speed of the current engines they also have a massive handicap in terms of friction. Of course, if we could adapt many of the modern technologies found in current F1 engines (DLC coated pistons, separate crankcase chambers...) on one of these older design that would most likely cause a significant drop in frictional losses. Add direct injection and the engines could run a bit leaner (saving a few percent fuel) while allowing for a higher compression ratio (due to the charge cooling effect of direct injection).

Tommy Cookers

Tommy Cookers wrote:good solid information riff raff and Edis !
REVISED
Lamborghini presumably on a rich mixture ? ( looks good, but on F1 fuel having somewhat higher heat/gm than normal fuel ?)
(based on rr calc of 27% @ peak power, we could reasonably assume 30% best efficiency on near-stoichiometric ?)

the Merc GroupC on a near-stoichiometric mixture ?, impressive best 175 gm/hp-hr ie 35% efficiency

I found 0.32 lb(145 gm)/hp-hr for a race Napier Lion, and 0.34lb(155gm)/hp-hr for a 95 octane P&W Wasp (both from Sam Heron)
(efficiencies around 40%)
and the famous 0.38lb(173gm) for the Wright Turbo-Compound at a favourable point in cruise operation (power control by mixture leaning and massflow limiting by loading (from prop pitch and recovery turbine) to around 1500 rpm without throttling?)
(efficiency 35.5%)
all these aero engines have low bearing friction and relatively low piston speeds

massflow control by modulation of electric load on turbine etc to match constant fuel rate might be useful in a 2014 engine

modern F1 engines have the highest ever volumetric efficiency combined with the highest ever compression ratio eg 14:1
17500 rpm discourages detonation and IMO dissociation (a chemical effect similar to slowing combustion)
F1 fuel IMO also discourages detonation and dissociation (and even friction, they claim)
relative to power the friction is quite low (piston speed not excessive due to short stroke)

so efficiency must be very good (when on fuel-saving mixture) ?
shall try to firm up these values if more exact calorific values can be found (calorific values are closely related to density, though)

WhiteBlue

It would be nice if we could all use SI units. These imperials like BTUs are a killer.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

olefud

As a generality about efficiency, as RPM climes beyond peak torque, the VE and accordingly the effective compression ratio falls to the detriment of efficiency. The early NASCAR restrictor plate engines had compression ratios that would kill the engine at unity VE in order to have high compression at high RPM and the low VE resulting from the restrictor plate.

Friction also increases exponentially, though I suppose the exponent depends on which of the many modes of friction. Race engines are biased towards power and are not the height of efficiency, though the newer engines are hedging towards efficiency.