2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
King Six

Re: 2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

What are some genuine, realistic and viable solutions that could be found to increase the sound of the engines? At least for next year or the season after that. I'm kinda curious to hear if anyone has come up with a decent solution. I'd imagine the internet is full of silly ideas but is there anything decent out there?

(p.s I'm totally not Jean Todt)

Also I'll add that I'm not one that dislikes the current engine sounds. The TV broadcasting could do with better sound though (an issue even with the V8's)

garrett

Rob White said there is nothing that could be improved under the current regulations. Improvements would clash with the fuel limit.

IMO, first off FOM should take care of their poor TV coverage which is the biggest problem for many fans. Than we could look further. What about the length of the exhausts? In recent years, the high revs reduced the exhaust pipes, longer exhaust pipes could work as a resonator like in earlier years. Am I right?

Or you work on optical effects instead. Make the cars look better again, make them chunkier like in the 80´s, maybe mount even the magnesium sparkerls? :)

kalinka

Just look ( listen ) to this Indycar video from current venue at Long Beach :

I mean...I'm not a sound engineer, but clearly they are doing a waaaay better job. It's awesome. Even the video is somehow
more dynamic and eye-catching than anything F1 could produce these days. They should hire some stuff from US.

Emerson.F

Here's some good onboards from the whole race all cars. Pure sounds.

http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/c-formu ... id=1051966

Thank me later.. :wink:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

garrett

What they are going to do with the tailpipe?? Is this a joke?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113535

Also, Remi Taffin mentions the anti-lag as a possible but impracticable solution.

Powershift

kalinka wrote:Just look ( listen ) to this Indycar video from current venue at Long Beach :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6mJm6 ... e=youtu.be

I mean...I'm not a sound engineer, but clearly they are doing a waaaay better job. It's awesome. Even the video is somehow
more dynamic and eye-catching than anything F1 could produce these days. They should hire some stuff from US.
Don't get me wrong, I like indycar but the comparison is not fair, the 2.2L is 37.5% more displacement that F1, plus it is not fuel limited and it does not have TERS.

But yes FOM needs to do a better job a getting the sound out better through the broadcast.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

jp5
jp5

I'd say development is quite mature for megaphones and the results should be quite impressive once adopted into the regulations.

Scorpaguy

Wow. Monaco was the first race I could catch this year. I couldn't decide if the engines sounded more like RC cars or 1960's BSA singles. Pretty sad IMHO. F1 used to have the sweetest sound in motorsport...I'd say the title now goes to WRC or Formula D. Yes I know these are 2 diverse sounds ... but still boss. F1 now makes me feel like I am at an antique tractor pull :cry:

gruntguru

Wait till they go electric! Perhaps some loudspeakers?
je suis charlie

FW17

Watched the movie on the big screen and those cars sounded awesome.

Are those IndyCars sounds real or have they be remastered?

Cold Fussion

Compared to Melbourne gp last year all the engines sound quite a bit different. The Renault sounds a lot smoother, the ferrari's seem to make more noise on the downshifts (as if they're blipping the throttle again) and the Mercedes has a very different engine note which is a bit disappointing because it sounded pretty cool an unique last year. The Honda sounds like it's running very rough, sounds about as bad as the Renault last year from memory.

WaikeCU

Is it me or does the Mercedes W06 now sound more like the Ferrari last season on flyby. I especially like the deceleration and downshifting of the W06. That roaring sound kind of makes it sound like a mix of an exhaust blown diffuser and traction control on deceleration.

SectorOne

Yes they all except Honda sounds like the Ferrari of last year.
Sounds really good imo, still a turbo but it has some of that howl on flybys.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ojlopez

garrett wrote:Rob White said there is nothing that could be improved under the current regulations. Improvements would clash with the fuel limit.

IMO, first off FOM should take care of their poor TV coverage which is the biggest problem for many fans. Than we could look further. What about the length of the exhausts? In recent years, the high revs reduced the exhaust pipes, longer exhaust pipes could work as a resonator like in earlier years. Am I right?

Or you work on optical effects instead. Make the cars look better again, make them chunkier like in the 80´s, maybe mount even the magnesium sparkerls? :)
I think that is the key. Current mics might be tuned for high frequencies and loud sounds associated with the V10's. But since current V6's have lower frequencies and are not as loud, they struggle capturing the sound. I think if they got new mics, there would be a lot of happy fans out there, including me. And if commentators would shut up every time the onboard camera goes online, it would be even better.