F1 Cylinder Head Design and Pneumatics, a closer look

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
riff_raff

Re: F1 Cylinder Head Design and Pneumatics, a closer look

It is not currently practical produce an aluminum component the size of an F1 cylinder head using DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering). The commercially available machines are limited to much smaller parts. But as someone previously noted, there are commercially available machines that can 3D print an entire cylinder head or block casting mold in sand.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Powerslide

Billzilla wrote:
Wayne DR wrote:Koenigsegg are 3D printing the stainless steel turbine housings and impellers (concurrently!) for their new ONE:1.
Another FWIW, SpaceX are printing the rocket engines out of Inconel for their new capsule. It soft-lands under rocket power back to Earth.
Now THAT is a huge job
speed

Brian Coat

riff_raff wrote:It is not currently practical produce an aluminum component the size of an F1 cylinder head using DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering). The commercially available machines are limited to much smaller parts. But as someone previously noted, there are commercially available machines that can 3D print an entire cylinder head or block casting mold in sand.
There is at least one standard commercially available additive manufacturing machine which could make parts this size (but pricey).

Wayne DR

Brian Coat wrote:There is at least one standard commercially available additive manufacturing machine which could make parts this size (but pricey).
The rumours that Mercedes have spent upwards of $500 million developing this years car, it would be a steal!!

brutus

I have a question concerning the camshafts:

In most (all? ) camshafts the lobes have a flat surface when seen from the side (meaning they are like a cylinder and not like a cone). But as the pics shows, this head has the valves angled in two planes, which mean the tappets are tilted to the side when the head is seem from the intake-exhaust direction).wouldn't that be a problem? there would be almost no surface of contact between tappet and cam lobe.

Brian.G

brutus wrote:I have a question concerning the camshafts:

In most (all? ) camshafts the lobes have a flat surface when seen from the side (meaning they are like a cylinder and not like a cone). But as the pics shows, this head has the valves angled in two planes, which mean the tappets are tilted to the side when the head is seem from the intake-exhaust direction).wouldn't that be a problem? there would be almost no surface of contact between tappet and cam lobe.
Cam lobe is simply ground at an angle as shown in first group of images in first post,

Regards,

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

Tommy Cookers

brutus wrote: ..... this head has the valves angled in two planes .....
IIRC this has been banned in F1 for several years (inconveniently for some) and is still banned ??

Brian.G

Tommy Cookers wrote:
IIRC this has been banned in F1 for several years (inconveniently for some) and is still banned ??
Not fully sure Tom, taking in a newer more 'current' Cosworth v8 head soon for some r+d so will see what the story is with that one.

I hope to do a write up on it too if I can find the time and energy!

BG

flyboy2160

I've seen this at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqlGPazMFo

Let me know if you guys want a separate dedicated 3D printing thread - I think it deserves its own. there are 2 or 3 separate threads already. I may combine them and the posts here all into one Mother of All 3D Printing Thread.

Brian.G

flyboy2160 wrote:I've seen this at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqlGPazMFo

Let me know if you guys want a separate dedicated 3D printing thread - I think it deserves its own. there are 2 or 3 separate threads already. I may combine them and the posts here all into one Mother of All 3D Printing Thread.
I think what has been mentioned so far should stay to be fair, but if it diverts any further then you can merge future posts.

We wont panic anyway...

Brian,

twoshots

Brian.G wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
Not fully sure Tom, taking in a newer more 'current' Cosworth v8 head soon for some r+d so will see what the story is with that one.

I hope to do a write up on it too if I can find the time and energy!

BG
It is not banned. Take a look at the Honda V8 (http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... -revealed/), particularly the piston, you can see the larger inlet valve pockets are machined on an angle. Also note that the camshafts are machined parallel to their centreline so the angle between cam and valve must be taken into account via the rocker/finger which is also shown in the pictures.

Brian Coat

Cosworth CA also has angled valves.

Tommy Cookers

the Cosworth CA was a 20000 rpm engine intended to have 200 bar injection
it was forced by the (rolling) engine freeze to be an 18000 rpm engine with 100 bar injection
BMW's position had been similarly affected eg by the banning of DI, Honda's position was also affected

presumably pulling rpm down to 18000 or less made compound valve angles less useful or unneccessary ?
(given the very large bores and very short strokes locked-in by the freeze rules)

do we know whether/which of Renault, Merc and Ferrari used (or still use) compound angles ???

as 4 valve compound angles historically have been extremely rare, the subject engine's treatment of this was remarkable (to me)

Brian.G

Tommy Cookers wrote:the Cosworth CA was a 20000 rpm engine intended to have 200 bar injection
it was forced by the (rolling) engine freeze to be an 18000 rpm engine with 100 bar injection
BMW's position had been similarly affected eg by the banning of DI, Honda's position was also affected

presumably pulling rpm down to 18000 or less made compound valve angles less useful or unneccessary ?
(given the very large bores and very short strokes locked-in by the freeze rules)

do we know whether/which of Renault, Merc and Ferrari used (or still use) compound angles ???

as 4 valve compound angles historically have been extremely rare, the subject engine's treatment of this was remarkable (to me)
Im guessing for bore de-shrouding (of valve curtain area when fully open) alone they have to be worth the trouble?

Brian,

Tommy Cookers

OK

Note to self .....
I now assume that Cosworth were late to compound valve angles (no Cos V10 had them, the genesis of BG's engine is related ?)
ie that Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari all had them before Cosworth
so they were not affected by the freeze

certainly Cosworth said more or less that the CA was their only engine that had big enough valves (the 98 bore of course helped)