Rotary Engine - One Moving Part

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
johann
johann

Rotary Engine - One Moving Part

This is Engine's Video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2bwevLgeRc[/youtube]
Enjoy!!!

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Re: Rotary Engine - One Moving Part

It's an interesting concept, but I immediately see lots of mass moving around and a lot of seal issues.. that was/is always the Achilles heel of the wankel engine. I'm guessing that the rotor would be the central spindle and not the casing (otherwise the spark plug cables are gonna get twisted pretty quickly!) and I'm not entirely clear how one overcomes the reciprocating element of the spindle when capturing the rotational energy. That said, I enjoy seeing someone thinking outside the box.
Mike

MOWOG

I am not an engineer. My mechanical prowess is maxed out by simple hand tools. But when I watched the video, I was immediately doubtful that the two halves of what might be called the combustion chambers could be made to seal in such a way as to keep all the hot, expanding gasses of combustion from escaping without doing much in the way of work.

It was an interesting video and, as Mikey said, using new ways to look at old problems is always to be encouraged. Let's just say that the devil is in the details and leave it at that. :wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Billzilla
Billzilla

Pretty sure my girlfriend uses an electric version of that when she's out of town.
:)

FWIW I bought an engine a few days ago that also only has one moving part, and here it is running.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KiPl5JA ... 9ux0Vp_Rbw[/youtube]

It is without a doubt one of the best machines ever made as it converts large amounts of fuel (about 25 cc in that run) into very large volumes of noise (one million db I reckon) and makes very little thrust. (specs say about 1.5 kg thrust)