A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
poolboy67

Re: A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

i love diesels.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

djos

A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

Omg, check this 80's Ferrari powered beast out! It made 1400 Hp on 120-octane super-premium race gasoline.

"Flat-12 Ferrari Boxer block fitted with 4-valve Testarossa heads, topped with a beautifully sculpted and truly massive air-water intercooler mounted directly on top of the block. The intercooler featured 12 super-high-flow electronic injectors spraying furiously into velocity stacks integral to the intercooler. The massive intercooler unit bolted directly to the heads and functioned as a combination intake plenum/intercooler/fuel rail/manifold unit.

The centrifugal blower—salvaged from a gigantic British locomotive engine that apparently no longer Thought It Could—was driven by a 1.5-inch shaft that traversed the length of the engine and was driven off the flywheel via a reversed Allison turbine helicopter gear-reduction unit originally designed to step down turbine velocities to something the main rotor could handle. The FAA required this type of gear reduction to be replaced after even a single emergency auto-rotation power-off landing, guaranteeing availability at fire-sale prices. The blower, looking like a hugely-overgrown Vortech blower sent back in time by The Machines to destroy all human life in 1989, had a five-inch impeller that was capable of gobbling air at the rate of something like 500 pounds per minute, a rate that could probably suck the air out of double-wide in less than 60 seconds

The supercharged 12-cylinder Boxer engine, featuring a lightened flywheel and knife-edged crank, and could rev from the engine’s 1200 RPM idle to the 9K redline in just over a tenth of a second, and had been certified on a Superflow 901 engine dyno to make 1400 horsepower on 120-octane gasoline at 60psi boost. The short-stroke 3.2-inch bore engine was upgraded with a billet Crower crankshaft, extra-long Crower rods, custom forged pistons, and was managed by a Haltech F3 EFI controller and a Firepower direct-fire 12-coil ignition. According to Norwood, each 24-valve head was carefully flowed and mildly ported for optimum forced breathing."

In this

Full text here:

http://www.bobnorwood.com/un-salted%20f ... -power.htm
"In downforce we trust"

nokivasara

How about the incredibly successful Ford BDA?
Beatiful song @ full tilt, 10 000 rpm...

They are still available but started out back in the 60's. The most powerful I know (BDG) of has about 300hp, pretty amazing from a 2-litre n/a lump :shock:

RicerDude

Alfa's 3.5 litre V10 found in the plain bonkers 164 procar from the 90's. It was originally destined to power the Ligier JS31 for 1988.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flynfrog

Lets revive this thread it is the off season after all

I give you the Pontiac 4 cam V8. Sequential fuel injection all started in 1963

Hot Rod mag article
http://www.wallaceracing.com/ohc-v8-cover.html

donskar

This thread is an old favorite. Reminds me that Xpensive is gone. But NOT forgotten.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

roon

Toyota TRD-BIZ001

Twin turbo (sequential) Hayabusa built for standing-mile record.

roon

RicerDude wrote:Alfa's 3.5 litre V10 found in the plain bonkers 164 procar from the 90's. It was originally destined to power the Ligier JS31 for 1988.

http://www.berlinasportivo.com/features ... 4_eng3.jpg

http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-cont ... ar%202.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 04531f.jpg
That last pic makes me wonder: where is the oil filter on more recent F1 engines, and what do they look like?

flynfrog

flynfrog

Here is the Clisby F1 engine. Built but a rule change meant it never raced.

http://www.theadelaidetimes.com.au/index.php?p=1_46

gruntguru

Interesting engine. It seems to have two spark plugs per cylinder so probably very high B/S ratio. Wide Vee angle too, 90 or 120 perhaps?
je suis charlie

wuzak

gruntguru wrote:Interesting engine. It seems to have two spark plugs per cylinder so probably very high B/S ratio. Wide Vee angle too, 90 or 120 perhaps?
Interesting indeed.

I can't recall for certain, but I don't think any of the 1.5l engines from the 1960-1965 formula were supercharged for the 1966 formula. Renault, of course, took up the supercharged rules with their turbo in 1977.

I wonder that if any had if they would have been competitive with the V8s and V12s.

flynfrog

I dug up some more info. Seems like this guy was pretty well know in Australasia not so much out side of there.

http://www.collingrovehillclimb.com.au/haroldclisby/

There is also a 24 Cylinder 2 stroke he built.

bill shoe

gruntguru wrote:Interesting engine. It seems to have two spark plugs per cylinder so probably very high B/S ratio. Wide Vee angle too, 90 or 120 perhaps?
Also may be related to DOHC config with total of 2 valves/cyl. Once you maximize valve diameters you end up needing to locate the plug off to one side or the other, so might as well do both sides.