HUD in helmets.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
theblackangus

Re: HUD in helmets.

trinidefender wrote:
theblackangus wrote:While its an interesting question technically, I think most of the people around here are of the belief that we should not allow stuff that makes driving easier. This would reduce the amount of variables the driver would have to keep track of mentally, so isn't really desirable from the "best driver" standpoint. It's an arms race like steroids... where does it end?

(Ends with: Real time car/track/traffic analysis and the HUD telling the driver where to go, what gear to be in, what brake bias will be optimal with the given temp/speed etc.)

I know there is alot of info I miss going from SIM racing to track days, but even then I'm not sure I would really want a HUD.
The thing is nobody is saying anything about making the driving faster. Other systems like ABS, traction control active suspension etc all help the driver to go quicker yet don't really add anything to the safety net. They essentially let the car do a lot of the driving. I am simply talking about having information present closer to the drivers line of sight and easier to access by the driver. This means the driver can keep his eyes on the road more and not down at the screen or his steering wheel. In that way it does increase the safety net for the drivers therefore should be allowed.
Please note - I didn't say faster, I said easier.
Last I checked ABS, TC, and AS were not allowed in F1 either.
Also I would view ABS and TC as very large components of a safety net.

gold333

Team Lotus (the original) tested an in helmet HUD which showed the selected gear in 1992.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Cold Fussion

andylaurence wrote: [*]The mirrors on an F1 car are useless, so how about a representation of a following car on the lower and side edges of the visor? A colour gradient from green to red (then blinking) that shows the following car's position relative to your car with the centre of the helmet being the car is directly behind and the sides being that the car is pulling into your blind spot.[/list]
Corvette Racing have a similar thing for their c7 race car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY[/youtube]

About halfway into the video the rear view camera displays a graphic above following cars, indicating the distance to the following car, as well as a graphic showing which direction the overtaking car went. A similar thing could be useful for wet races in F1 when visibility is poor. I imagine something similar to the Corvette system will find it's way to other GT endurance cars, since a system like this should help prevents the huge accidents like the Mike Rockenfeller accident at Le Mans a few years ago.

Lycoming

Note that such features are much, much more important in mixed class racing series like ALMS where grids of 50+ cars are normal, some of which are much, much quicker than you and try to whiz past you through any gap there is. Much more traffic, and much greater speed differences.

It is a neat idea, and it does work, though I wonder about mounting it in an F1 cockpit/helmet.

And I feel like a lot of people will complain of it dumbing down the sport too much and making it too easy.