Radiator technology

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
shelly

Re: Radiator technology

From F14T thread:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
eslam1986 wrote:from Lorenzo De Luca : Ferrari F14 use Ttitanium microtube heat exchanger with two tenths of a millimeter internal diameter used to cool the V6 059/3, capable of ensuring the necessary cooling with much smaller dimensions.

Yes the exchanger tubes are on their SITE

Last edited by shelly on 15 Feb 2014, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
twitter: @armchair_aero

riff_raff

Don't know if I believe that Ferrari is using an engine coolant heat exchanger core having .008" ID titanium tubes. If you were to run a quick heat transfer calculation of engine coolant at an inlet temp of around 230degF, an air temp over the tube of around 80degF, with conductive heat transfer across a titanium tube wall with an ID of .008" and a wall thickness of around .004", I think what you would find is that the mass flow of the coolant thru the tiny tube is so small that by the time the coolant has flowed even a small distance it will have already cooled to close to the ambient air temp, and at that point the heat transfer process will come to a stop.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why they would choose titanium for their heat exchanger tubes. Titanium has terrible thermal conductivity, and with such small diameter tubes the stress from coolant pressure cannot be a problem.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

wuzak

riff_raff wrote:Don't know if I believe that Ferrari is using an engine coolant heat exchanger core having .008" ID titanium tubes. If you were to run a quick heat transfer calculation of engine coolant at an inlet temp of around 230degF, an air temp over the tube of around 80degF, with conductive heat transfer across a titanium tube wall with an ID of .008" and a wall thickness of around .004", I think what you would find is that the mass flow of the coolant thru the tiny tube is so small that by the time the coolant has flowed even a small distance it will have already cooled to close to the ambient air temp, and at that point the heat transfer process will come to a stop.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why they would choose titanium for their heat exchanger tubes. Titanium has terrible thermal conductivity, and with such small diameter tubes the stress from coolant pressure cannot be a problem.
The air flow is the other part of the equation. The mass air flow is controlled by the car's speed and the ducts leading to and from the radiator. If there is only a small contact area then it may not cool as much as you think.